5.7L Hemi Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last week I traded in my 16 Veloster Turbo for a used 18 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab

While I've read on here and other places about who's running what, and how the engine isnt picky, I figured I'd still ask.

The OM states 5w20 is preferred, I bought the truck from the Hyundai-Ford-VW dealer in town who uses Motorcraft and Quaker State so I figured that's what's in there now. I'm gonna let this run for the 5k or so miles then dump it as the OLM is at 96%.

I'm thinking about picking up some QSUD 5w30, even though its preferred to use 5w20.

I have some old Tough Guards that'll fit from my old Dart that are still in good condition.

What say yall? What are you guys running? Truck isnt gonna be towing really, just a daily driver with the occasional lowes or trash load
Thanks!

Last edited:
I think QSUD and TG's are a great choice. A big long thread here about QSUD being overlooked. Looks like a good thick oil. But the very best oil is Red Line. Looks like it helps with the hemi tick, if you ever get it.

On another note, congrats on the new truck!

You didn't specify which engine, but given the 5w-20 spec in the OM, I am going to guess it is the 5.7L Hemi. If that's the case, any conventional oil in the 5w-20 variety will do just fine. You can run synthetic or syn-blend if you wish, but I personally have found my Hemi is more noisy with full synthetic in it, so I stick with conventional.

Also, you might see some folks swear up and down that anything other than 5w-20 will bring disaster to your Hemi (supposedly messes with the MDS system). Personally, I think the insistence upon 20 weight is due to trying to meet CAFE standards more than anything. But if 20 weight is so important, why are the 6.4L engines spec'd for 40 weight (0w-40)?

Living in Texas, you'll be just fine with any of the following: 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-20, 5w-30, and even 10w-30. It doesn't matter if its conventional, synthetic ,or syn-blend. Keep the oil changed, that is the most important thing to pay attention to with the Hemi's oiling system.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Over the last week I traded in my 16 Veloster Turbo for a used 18 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab

While I've read on here and other places about who's running what, and how the engine isnt picky, I figured I'd still ask.

The OM states 5w20 is preferred, I bought the truck from the Hyundai-Ford-VW dealer in town who uses Motorcraft and Quaker State so I figured that's what's in there now. I'm gonna let this run for the 5k or so miles then dump it as the OLM is at 96%.

I'm thinking about picking up some QSUD 5w30, even though its preferred to use 5w20.

I have some old Tough Guards that'll fit from my old Dart that are still in good condition.

What say yall? What are you guys running? Truck isnt gonna be towing really, just a daily driver with the occasional lowes or trash load
Thanks!

Here are my oil analysis on my 2011 5.7L. The ont to the right is Valvoline FSHM 5w20 and the 2 better ones are PPHM 0w20.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 24
Last edited:
In the hemi forum I frequent, the top oils in order are Pennzoil synthetics number 1, m1 number 2, Amsoil number 3, and redline close number 4, nothing else is close, 100's of votes. Pennzoil has monopoly on hemi spec for long time, now many oils have it, but still hemi owners gravitate to PUP and PP. m1 doesn't recomend spec, but still number 2 oil used. Amsoil and Redline high usage rates are because these trucks are finicky despite what you have heard, and many guys run heartier oils to deal with hemi tick and cam issues, whether it translates to longer engine life, who knows? Redline 5w30 if you get the tick is a no brainer, it is hemi honey in that situation. But, I like your strategy of qsud 5w30, good moly level and good oil, I would look at a good synthetic media filter if it were me.

Roughly 1/2 the forum uses 5w20 and 1/2 uses heavier then 5w20, with the edge going to 5w20. However, most of the cam/lifter issues are happening with guys running 5w20, but not all.

I've been a QS user for a decade or so. My 05 Ranger, 13 Dart, and my 16 Veloster turbo have had zero issues with it. This is my first V8 so I was more wondering what people are using, as a 5w20 I believe would be pretty adequate, especially with it being recommended, but I know in the past QSUD 5w30 had a tad bit more moly and zinc than its 5w20 brethren.

Anyway, the truck is nice, it's pretty bare bones except for the radio, which is the smaller uconnect touchscreen, I am pretty okay with it though, It's a truck not a house, I can't justify spending 70k on a truck lol, maybe when I'm old. No "Hemi tick" either.

For those interested, it was used, has 15.5k miles in it, and was only 21,000$. Was given 13,000$ for the veloster with 30k miles on it, so payments are reasonable. Insurance is oddly cheaper too.

Also, My back appreciates it more than anything driving these horrendous Texas highways that are always under construction.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice truck! The Rams are the best looking of the newer trucks in my opinion. My father has a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L and 150k miles. I've been running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 since the first few changes.

I've been a QS user for a decade or so. My 05 Ranger, 13 Dart, and my 16 Veloster turbo have had zero issues with it. This is my first V8 so I was more wondering what people are using, as a 5w20 I believe would be pretty adequate, especially with it being recommended, but I know in the past QSUD 5w30 had a tad bit more moly and zinc than its 5w20 brethren.

Anyway, the truck is nice, it's pretty bare bones except for the radio, which is the smaller uconnect touchscreen, I am pretty okay with it though, It's a truck not a house, I can't justify spending 70k on a truck lol, maybe when I'm old. No "Hemi tick" either.

For those interested, it was used, has 15.5k miles in it, and was only 21,000$. Was given 13,000$ for the veloster with 30k miles on it, so payments are reasonable. Insurance is oddly cheaper too.

Also, My back appreciates it more than anything driving these horrendous Texas highways that are always under construction.

yeah, you will hate me, I paid 24k for a 4x4 slt hemi in 2010 off the showroom floor, after tax 26500 and on my way. Can't touch 4x4 Ford or Chevy for that, and to be honest that was first year coil back suspension, the ride was way better then ford and chevy not to mention most HP that year by a lot. come on over to ram forum and meet a bunch of guys all figuring out our rams together. learn about your zf transmision and more.

Congrats on the truck.

I have a 2015 1500 with the 5.7. I've done three oil changes so far and have run Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 in all three. I posted two of the used oil analysis here and they've come back great.

Gonna switch to 5w30 this summer and see what happens.

I've run a Bosch Distance Plus, Wix XP and Purolator Boss and have had no issues with any of them. Don't skimp on the filter, make sure it's quality.

Upon some research
I'll more than likely just use 5w20 QSGB or PYB, both have Chrysler specs, affordable, and will last the 5000mi oci

Before someone comes in thinking that non-synthetics are the devil, they're not. Lol

Upon some research
I'll more than likely just use 5w20 QSGB or PYB, both have Chrysler specs, affordable, and will last the 5000mi oci

Before someone comes in thinking that non-synthetics are the devil, they're not. Lol

Why not just by a store brand? At 5 K OCI's might as well just save as much money as possible.

Upon some research

I have used PYB in my 2010 2500 hemi. I does not have the MDS and PYB made the hemi tick quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back