5.7 Hemi fuel mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
about as definitive as your going to get of an answer. forum polling is not very efficient.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram 1500/gas v8

All fuelly is, is people posting their fuel up info. Sort of like this thread.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Fuelly is kinda useless for trucks. It does not split out regular cab, extended cab, nor crew cab; it does not split 4x2 from 4x4; it does not split 4.8L from 5.3L; it does not split 3.08 from 3.42 from 3.73 from... well you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
about as definitive as your going to get of an answer. forum polling is not very efficient.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram 1500/gas v8

All fuelly is, is people posting their fuel up info. Sort of like this thread.
grin.gif

Completely agreed.

My 98 averaged 12-13 with a lead footed women driver and I could nurse it up 1 or 2 mpg but that was it. Just not a good platform for fuel mileage no matter what you do...

Originally Posted By: supton
Fuelly is kinda useless for trucks. It does not split out regular cab, extended cab, nor crew cab; it does not split 4x2 from 4x4; it does not split 4.8L from 5.3L; it does not split 3.08 from 3.42 from 3.73 from... well you get the idea.

let me know when 15 mpg and 16mpg really make a difference. if you drive a 18wheeler for hundreds of thousands of miles, sure. but mac daddy driving his $50k SLE on his 5 mile short commute, not much.

Last edited:
Well, 15 to 16 is like 5%. It may pale in comparasion to depreciation for most, but the cost is still nice to know.

Originally Posted By: ECUpirate
Originally Posted By: coolbird101
I average just above 14 with 50/50 mix city/hwy. I get 17 on the hwy. in the 65 mph to 70 mph range, over 70 it drops way off.
Non MDS hemi 5.7. - 3.92 rear end - 20 " wheels.

4x4 quad cab? If so, that's weird. I work with 3 people that struggle for 12 mpg average on their non-MDS hemi 4x4s (2 quad cabs and 1 ECLB) and get nowhere close to 17 mpg hwy. We were actually discussing it yesterday since I recently purchased my Silverado and they were asking about my mileage. I wonder if regional fuel blends or some other factor could affect mileage that much? I had a lifted 200k mile 5.4 Expedition 4x4 on 35" tires and 3.73 gears that would get better gas mileage than the low mileage bone stock Ram I was driving. My wife even commented that I had better not look for a Ram unless we took out a 2nd mortgage to pay for gas. I'm not saying you guys aren't being honest, just that I've never heard of any older Dodge hemi getting 17+ mpg hwy in 4x4 form.

It's a 2 wd quadcab with a Lear topper, does have Superchip programmer always set in performance mode, k&n cai and magnaflow cat back dual. Not sure if these add ons helped or hurt mpg, added all that stuff back in 05 when I bought it.

The guys I know who run Dodge Hemi's and Toyota's always cry about mileage. The 3/4 ton and up is a 10mpg truck, maybe a bit more on its best day.

Having said that no 3/4 gas truck is very good but the Ford's and GM's seem to run 1-2 mpg better with similar usage.

My uncle has one with a rack body on it and tows a landscaping trailer, he gets 5-6.

With half tons it depends on how they are optioned and the vintage, but generally trucks get [censored] mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back