5/30 or 0/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using straight 30 wt dino oil in the kids go kart. Briggs says i can run 5/30 syn during the summer. Mobil 1 5/30 is a little thin but how much thinner is 0/30? Is there really that much of a differance between the weights of the two?

In a hot motor they are both 30 weights. Either one should be fine. But I'd only use the 0W30 if it was allready sitting around the house. If I have to go the the store I would skip the 5W30 and get the M1 10W30.

Interestingly, as per Mobile's website, the 0W-30 has a slightly higher "hot" viscosity than the 5W-30 or 10W-30's.

10.3 cSt @ 100ºC
vs

That tends to indicate to me that they use VII's in it, since its "cold" viscosity is lower than the other 2.

I'll third the 10W30 recommendation. I'm using it in my 5.5 hp Briggs with excellent results so far. The motor runs strong, the oil is staying clean and is not being consumed.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
If you want more horsepower, try AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30.

For what you are doing, any good synthetic xW-30 will be fine.

Well ****, it would be a little bit more above board to state that you ARE an AMSOIL dealer!

Just HOW MUCH more horsepower will AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 provide vs Mobil 1 0W-30?

From what Bill has stated the 0/30 may be better than 5 or 10/30. Is the mobile 1 10-30 thicker than the 0/30? I assume that is why some say to use the 10/30. Im thinking that 0/30 will protect and perform better than dino 30 wt.

quote:

Originally posted by greasezerk2:
From what Bill has stated the 0/30 may be better than 5 or 10/30. Is the mobile 1 10-30 thicker than the 0/30? I assume that is why some say to use the 10/30. Im thinking that 0/30 will protect and perform better than dino 30 wt.

You're not just worried about hot viscosity here. 0w30 and 5w30 will shear down very quickly in a hot air cooled engine. It is a down right bad idea to use ANY 0w/5w when there is a 10w available and it will get the job done alot better. There is absolutely no need for a 0w or 5w in summer in any briggs and stratton.

>>>Well ****, it would be a little bit more above board to state that you ARE an AMSOIL dealer!

Never have made a secret of it. I also am not trolling on the board. Only one that I've ever met from the board, far as I know, is Michael Sparks. I encourage anyone to contact the AMSOIL dealers that sponsor the board.

>>>Just HOW MUCH more horsepower will AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 provide vs Mobil 1 0W-30?

Really don't know vs Mobil 1 0W-30. Comments were based on results told me by a guy who blueprints B&S engines for mini-racing. He said that the nominal 6 hp engines ran 18 horsepower when he finished (on synthetic). When he put the Series 2000 0W-30 in, horsepower went to 21.
Not enough to give anyone whiplash, but all other things being equal, could make a difference in order of finish.
That was before Mobil came out with their 0W-30, but I would expect there would be a measureable difference because of the chemistry.

quote:

Originally posted by greasezerk2:
Isnt a 10/30 gonna shear down quick also?

All oil shears down. 10w30 is MUCH more stable than 0w or 5w. Of all things, a kid's go kart would be one of the worst places to use a 0w or 5w.

I can tell you one thing the guy that gained 3 horsepower by changing oils is smoking crack. I have worked extensively with WKA blueprinted 5 HP engines that produce approximately 10 hp. I was never able to prove a horsepower gain by changing oils from the baseline Cool Power Green light. He even went to a heavier oil as Amsoil 0w30 is nearly a 40 weight. You can alos manipulate the dyno numbers somewhat, but not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back