4x4 beater truck for up to $3k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is purely hypothetical, but say if someone wanted to get a 4x4 beater for $3K max, what would you recommend?

It wouldn't be driven very often. Its main duties would be to haul stuff (that can't fit in a car) from HomeDepot once in a while plus get around in the snow in the winter - it would probably run on winter tires all year long.

It'd be nice if it could be relatively reliable (considering the age), cheap to fix/maintain and not too big.

some toyota trucks (tacomas) came with a 4 cyl, 4x4 setup, right? Did the ranger come like that too?

For a seldom-used hauler, you could probably justify a bigger engine, since gas wont be a huge expense regardless, but for routine PM, which will be the biggest expense besides insurance (IMO), a 4cyl makes it easier. You dont say youll be towing, nor going very fast, so Id look for a 4cyl 4x4... ford, nissan, toyota. Toyotas are probably overpriced.

I just got a 96 bronco 4x4 for just that use!!

paid 1000 bucks for it.

I would get an older ford with a modular engine. The Modulars are bullet proof and very simple to work on.

I think trucks in this price range is probably the most risky to buy. 4x4 is in demand by all sorts of young punks so the price is a bit inflated and the cost of repairs can be big.

How about a $500 trailer and snow tires for your quattro? Or maybe a 99 tracker owned by a little old lady for $5k and the trailer? I find I don't need to haul things when the weather is bad, except snowmobiles, but 4x4 and snowtires tows pretty good in snow too.
Ian

I've had my 93 F150 for over 3 years already with no major issues other then stuff I broke.
33.gif
I paid under $3k 3 years ago and it looked a whole lot better then it does now. I use it just like Pete is talking about except no real snow.
thumbsup2.gif
With the gas prices going up and down I could probably buy the same truck for $1500 or less. It was/is a little rusty but what do I care. Before the F150 I had a S15 GMC 4x4 also a good truck in the $800-2000 range.

I'll take the larger F150 personnally. I can haul drywall or 4x8 plywood stacked flat in the back of the truck, plus with the V8 I can tow cars on a trailer. The V8 has been more handy then I would have originally thought when looking for a beater to haul trash to the dump and make Lowes runs. If I was driving it daily I might go smaller but for limited use I'll take a rusty full size 4x4 with V8 power.

Indy, I don't have the quattro anymore. The BMW is RWD. But yeah, the more I think about it the more it just doesn't make sense to get some old truck which will just sit in my driveway 98% of the time. Places like HomeDepot rent trucks by the hour or I can just pay the store to have the goods delivered (as opposed to paying for extra liability insurance, maintenance and repairs on the truck). And for winter, I would get dedicated tires for my car and my g/f's car, which I was planning on doing anyway once I have a garage where I can store those second sets of rims/tires. The only problem with my car will be ground clearance. That's where I was hoping the truck would come in handy, but I don't think this alone justifies purchasing and maintaining another vehicle, plus littering the driveway.

Maybe when its time to get a new vehicle, I'll convince my g/f to get an SUV with AWD. That'll take care of the ground clearance issue.

Many people get hooked on pickups. If you are used to living without one and don't particularly like trucks, it doesn't make a lot of sense. However, I'd be willing to bet if you got one, you wouldn't want to get rid of it. Your typical mid 1990s EFI manual transmission pickup requires pretty minimal maintenance and won't cost much in the way of insurance.

Plus, you wouldn't do this in the 530i...
2695860220_large.jpg

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Many people get hooked on pickups. If you are used to living without one and don't particularly like trucks, it doesn't make a lot of sense. However, I'd be willing to bet if you got one, you wouldn't want to get rid of it. Your typical mid 1990s EFI manual transmission pickup requires pretty minimal maintenance and won't cost much in the way of insurance.

Plus, you wouldn't do this in the 530i...
2695860220_large.jpg

That reminds me I work and live in what I like to call a "submersible area". I take the F150 whenever there is a decent amount of rain expected. I have had flood waters upto and over the headlights of the truck just trying to drive home. That would be half way up the windshield on any car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back