4x4 and rear gears fluid questions (Dodge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mobil 1 any good for the rear gears and 4x4 differential in a Dodge Dakota?
confused.gif
This is the stuff they sell at Auto Zone. If not , any other suggestions? How are you guys going about changing fluids? I was under there looking around and I only found 1 plug on the gear box. One guy suggested that I take it in and have the plate removed and cleaned and replaced with a new seal. Another guy suggested that since my truck is brand new, remove the plug and try to pump the stock fluid out with a squeeze pump and hose.
confused.gif
He tells me that Dodge uses quality gears in their trucks, but the oil they use is crap!
shocked.gif
What should I do? My truck has 4000 miles on it! Thank You again.

i have a 98 expedition 5.4 l also has a locker 3.73 axel i chaged the fluid today this big rear end takes a 75w-140 and i used redline high performance it is 100% synthetic >gl-5 and > gl-6 rated it is absolutely the best also synergyn's syngear ll is just as good ... i went to look at the mobil 1 75w-90 and it says on the bottle only gl-5 rated and the additive is a full synthetic but there is alittle asterest next to it and says exclusive of carrier oil..so this is really not 100% like red line and synergyn

"asterest next to it and says exclusive of carrier oil..so this is really not 100% like red line and synergyn"
And that matters? The mobil product is pretty good. I have used it in 5 trucks now with good results. I change it every 50k in my Dodge 2500 although there is no way it needs it at this interval.

[ February 01, 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

asterest next to it and says exclusive of carrier oil

Are you positive this is not the case on the two others also they just did not list it as such. The carrier oils are in the additive package I believe.

yes the other two i mentioned did not say that and i know for sure redline products are all 100% synthetics no petroleum pructs in their oils or tranny fluid....now mobil told me that in all their synthetic oils there is no protroleum produvts in any of their synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back