4Runner Ride Quality/Experience - always so stiff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
crackmeup2.gif
you guys!

This story has a happy ending, long after my wife and I first test drove the new 4Runners in summer of 2017.

We have test driven new and used T4Rs to the tune of maybe a dozen a year. None of them fit our wants and needs perfectly. Usually the dealbreaker was my wife hating the rough suspension.

In July of 2018, we replaced my wife's daily driver with a Ford Edge Limited, which meant I was up next for vehicle replacement.

We then downsized our fleet by selling the family vacation vehicle (Explorer) privately, leaving me to make the next move.

On Thursday, I said goodbye to my Escape and purchased a CPO 2014 4Runner Limited. It must be something about the Limited suspension versus all of the other trim levels, as my wife had zero complaints. With 75k on the odometer I will likely drive it into the ground over a long period of time, as I commute only about 8k miles a year on average.

Originally Posted by methusaleh
I've liked the 4Runner on paper and in theory for years. Owning one finally fits the needs I have so the wife and I went looking over the weekend.

Driving a brand new one, we couldn't get over how stiff the ride was. Vehicle had about 120 miles on it so I'm not sure if the "newness" was a factor. The suspension seemed unforgiving of even the slightest bump and was frankly so harsh that it was distracting. Wife agreed. I swear that when I was in the Army I drove some HMMWVs that were beaten on and their ride was superior to a brand new 4Runner.

Climbed into a Certified Pre-Owned 2016 with 20k miles next. The ride seemed only ever so slightly better.

I've owned several 80s and 90s era SUVs with body-on-frame construction and I swear I've never felt a ride as brutal as the 4Runner. I may be able to live with it, but to be honest I'm not even sure that I could.

I'm losing wife approval on this transaction if I can't convince her to try other 4Runners, and I'd love to own one, so I'm wondering what you folks think.

double post

Last edited:
I've liked the 4Runner on paper and in theory for years. Owning one finally fits the needs I have so the wife and I went looking over the weekend.

Driving a brand new one, we couldn't get over how stiff the ride was. Vehicle had about 120 miles on it so I'm not sure if the "newness" was a factor. The suspension seemed unforgiving of even the slightest bump and was frankly so harsh that it was distracting. Wife agreed. I swear that when I was in the Army I drove some HMMWVs that were beaten on and their ride was superior to a brand new 4Runner.

Climbed into a Certified Pre-Owned 2016 with 20k miles next. The ride seemed only ever so slightly better.

I've owned several 80s and 90s era SUVs with body-on-frame construction and I swear I've never felt a ride as brutal as the 4Runner. I may be able to live with it, but to be honest I'm not even sure that I could.

I'm losing wife approval on this transaction if I can't convince her to try other 4Runners, and I'd love to own one, so I'm wondering what you folks think.

Im not going to read the whole thread-so excuse me if some of my comments are that of others. My wife owned one-and most recently my daughter in law traded a 4Runner in because she couldn't take the stiff ride. So I have experience with the 4Runners. That are one of the worst ergonomic vehicles on the road today-from the hard seats to the 70ish dashboard. Yes-they are body on frame bred for the off road scene. That's the only thing IMHO they are good for.

Sorry-on your first multi-hour road trip you will regret your purchase decision.

This story has a happy ending, long after my wife and I first test drove the new 4Runners in summer of 2017.

We have test driven new and used T4Rs to the tune of maybe a dozen a year. None of them fit our wants and needs perfectly. Usually the dealbreaker was my wife hating the rough suspension.

In July of 2018, we replaced my wife's daily driver with a Ford Edge Limited, which meant I was up next for vehicle replacement.

We then downsized our fleet by selling the family vacation vehicle (Explorer) privately, leaving me to make the next move.

On Thursday, I said goodbye to my Escape and purchased a CPO 2014 4Runner Limited. It must be something about the Limited suspension versus all of the other trim levels, as my wife had zero complaints. With 75k on the odometer I will likely drive it into the ground over a long period of time, as I commute only about 8k miles a year on average.

Congrats. I recently sold my old '97, and bought a new TRD Off-Road Premium. The new one rides much nicer than the old, even with tires that as-delivered were overinflated by 20 PSI.

The Toyota trucks have a long break in cycle. If it is too firm of a ride for you then look elsewhere. They are built for longevity and typically take 65000 miles to go through the initial break in. Most people don't hang onto vehicles long enough to get through to 65000 miles. If you want more of a plusher ride then you are going to want something that fits that need.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
The Toyota trucks have a long break in cycle. If it is too firm of a ride for you then look elsewhere. They are built for longevity and typically take 65000 miles to go through the initial break in. Most people don't hang onto vehicles long enough to get through to 65000 miles. If you want more of a plusher ride then you are going to want something that fits that need.

First it's been a while since a laughed so hard. But believe whatever you want to believe. A tractor like ride is not done for longevity and it sure as heck will not take 65000 miles to break in.

Second, no suspension that I know of will a) take this long to break in, even if there is such thing for suspension, b) will not change from harsh to comfortable after the supposed break in period.
The only break in that I can think of is rubber components becoming a bit softer, that's it. The rest of the suspension only deteriorates as time, miles and cycles accumulate.

Some prefer body-on-frame with all the strengths and limitations, some prefer unibody.

Methusaleh, I hope you enjoy your T4R for its full lifespan!

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Amkeer

First it's been a while since a laughed so hard. But believe whatever you want to believe. A tractor like ride is not done for longevity and it sure as heck will not take 65000 miles to break in.

Second, no suspension that I know of will a) take this long to break in, even if there is such thing for suspension, b) will not change from harsh to comfortable after the supposed break in period.
The only break in that I can think of is rubber components becoming a bit softer, that's it. The rest of the suspension only deteriorates as time, miles and cycles accumulate.

LOL, 65,000 miles to break in? At 65,000 miles on my Land Cruiser Prado I already had to overhaul complete front suspension (among other things).

My boss has a current gen 4runner and it sucks. Interior is cramped, the engine isn't smooth, the gear shifter is annoying, and it's unpleasant to drive.

And that's coming from someone who daily drives a 2010 escape and a 2001 suburban... Both of which I'd much rather take on a road trip than that awful 4runner.

There is however no doubt in my mind that off-road the 4runner would beat anything I've ever owned.

Originally Posted by dogememe
My boss has a current gen 4runner and it sucks. Interior is cramped, the engine isn't smooth, the gear shifter is annoying, and it's unpleasant to drive.

And that's coming from someone who daily drives a 2010 escape and a 2001 suburban... Both of which I'd much rather take on a road trip than that awful 4runner.

There is however no doubt in my mind that off-road the 4runner would beat anything I've ever owned.

My friend got current one last year in Alabama. I drove it and that engine either has asthma or lung cancer, but there are serious power issues.
I was wondering why they are here at high altitude always the slowest one uphill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

My friend got current one last year in Alabama. I drove it and that engine either has asthma or lung cancer, but there are serious power issues.
I was wondering why they are here at high altitude always the slowest one uphill.

It's a NA V-6. You've got to spin it to get the power. Although 278HP and 270Torque aren't huge figures nowadays. I hear the blower makes up for it; but that's a $10k investment. If you need a V-8, move up to the Lexus equivalent and you'll get the 4.6L.

Originally Posted by JLTD

It's a NA V-6. You've got to spin it to get the power. Although 278HP and 270Torque aren't huge figures nowadays. I hear the blower makes up for it; but that's a $10k investment. If you need a V-8, move up to the Lexus equivalent and you'll get the 4.6L.

It's actually 270 hp and 278 lb.-ft of torque. But like you I don't understand the concern. They will move acceptably well, if people step on the gas. If more speed is needed or desired, there are faster vehciles available. The wife and I have much faster vehicles, for times when we want that.

For a relatively heavy, solidly built body on frame SUV, with great off-road ability, and a history of reliability, which is what you want on some desolate trail well out of cellphone range, they are hard to beat.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by JLTD

It's actually 270 hp and 278 lb.-ft of torque. But like you I don't understand the concern. They will move acceptably well, if people step on the gas. If more speed is needed or desired, there are faster vehciles available. The wife and I have much faster vehicles, for times when we want that.

For a relatively heavy, solidly built body on frame SUV, with great off-road ability, and a history of reliability, which is what you want on some desolate trail well out of cellphone range, they are hard to beat.

thumbsup2.gif
for the post and thanks for the correction on the power figures.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I think they are smooth.
laugh.gif

Far from smooth I have driven Afghan National Army Ford Rangers with a softer ride and this was after the ANA had ownership of them for 3+ years.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I think they are smooth.
laugh.gif

Far from smooth I have driven Afghan National Army Ford Rangers with a softer ride and this was after the ANA had ownership of them for 3+ years.

Probably because they were beat to [censored].
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 02SE
In that part of the world, I'd also wonder if they were actual Toyota's, or chinese 'Great Wall' copies.

Chinese knock off cannot sustain recoil of GS-23
smile.gif

If reliability and or off road capability are your priorities by all means they are a good purchase. Other than the two items I mentions-they are A FAIL. Mostly because they are a dinosaur in every sense of the word. Just not dead yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back