4Runner 05 propeller shaft lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any advice on what type and how much lube for the propeller shaft on a 05 4runner? I would think I could use the same grease (lube) for the u-joints.
I think I would just put a couple pumps of grease into the propeller shaft…would that be adequate?
Any thoughts or advice?

For the two piece splined shaft tjust Pump grease into it until you see the driveshaft just expandand elongate...it's full(you won't see grease come out or anything like a u-joint). It will take alot of pumps the first time but after that it will take less to get full. You won't break anything.

From what I've read on 4x4/truck/offroad forums, Ford sells really good slip yolk grease as does Red Crown (I think that's what it's called).

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
From what I've read on 4x4/truck/offroad forums, Ford sells really good slip yolk grease as does Red Crown (I think that's what it's called).

Joel

Yes, Ford has a teal colored teflon grease especially for slip yokes. Good stuff, it cut down load binding considerably.

It must have ben my lucky day...I pulled up on the ramps and crawled under the truck and all (6) of the zerks were pointed down. I gave them all a couple shots of LubriMatic LMX "Red Grease". I don't know if thats the right grease, but its got to be better then nothing.

I use the Mobil-1 lube for these but any grease will do. Your driveshaft was painted at the factory with a short red line as an indicator for all fittings pointed south but it is too hard to see so I re-did it in white. Half of these are probably totally neglected by owners so you're way ahead. I do mine every oil change but I'm sure every other w/b fine as I have some grease on undercarriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back