Separating stubborn CV

D60

Does anyone have any miracle cures for getting a difficult stub axle off the main shaft? '08 F150
20231220_182155.jpg

I started off wailing on it with a basic SnapOn hammer, then 3lb sledge, then 4lb sledge.

Then I took a half circle of pipe and welded it to a sacrificial .401 punch, allowing me apply driving force with the air hammer on the inner ring of the joint where the circlip lives.
20231220_182248.jpg

Still nothing. I had a similar experience years ago on an '01 Ranger. In the end the splines literally broached their way thru the clip, which apparently was determined to not collapse and allow passage.

I tried removing the inner joint figuring I could slide a new boot on from there, but I'm having the same problem.

I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Some of these outer joints are not intended to be taken apart in the field, if ever. Re-pack it with grease while assembled.
Thanks but doesn't help with replacing the boot. Ford sells the boot (I think it's the same '04-14) so something has to be possible

Outer joint isnt supposed to come off the shaft per the factory service manual. Inner joint has a retaining ring that holds the ball and cage ass'y into the outer housing. Then there is a snap ring that holds the ball & cage ass'y to the shaft. Once that is out of the way you can replace both boots

Outer joint isnt supposed to come off the shaft per the factory service manual. Inner joint has a retaining ring that holds the ball and cage ass'y into the outer housing. Then there is a snap ring that holds the ball & cage ass'y to the shaft. Once that is out of the way you can replace both boots
I was afraid of that. I was trying to not completely break down the inner boot because I don't think I have large clamp to replace it.

These OEM clamps are not crimp and are not fold-over, so not reusable for me. But I'll work something out. They must have a pretty cool tool to pull it tight over 2 teeth with no crimp

Back