Barium........0
Viscosity.....66.4
Flashpoint....410
Fuel..........under 0.5%
Antifreeze....0
Water.........0
Insolubles....0.3%
TBN...........3.3

That TBN sure is low for this oil and miles compared to other Amsoil analysis's here .

An engine can start increasing blowby without a big increase in oil consumption in the early stages of ring wear or ring damage due to overheating . I think they said something about taking it to the shop for coolant loss ?

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
You should also list the lab that did the UOA.

Sorry that I left out a lot of info, but I figured everyone knows that this test is being done with the help of Blackstone.

quote:

Now the question is what lowered the ware metals.

Wear metals will drop regardless of oil, in time. However, there is two main theories thrown around here about lower wear with the LS1. The first theory is Patman's in that thicker oils do better in this engine. The other, is something Tooslick eludes to in that Amsoil has more ZDP then Mobil 1. It could be either one. In my opinion, Mobil 1 does as good as Amsoil. There was one UOA with a C5 driven very hard and M1 held up very well. You can't expect good wear numbers with any GM. It's just the way they are. They still last regardless too. Similar to the Jeep 4.0L. Engines really don't wear out due to oil. They die from getting too dirty inside.
smile.gif

I know that the sample size is too small for serious work but here goes my $.02! Statisticly the wear numbers are not significant. If all you saw were the wear numbers you could not tell one oil from the other at this point!

SO far M1 looks like a real bargin! We will see as the test goes on! I can not wait to see how Redline does!

LS1 5w-30 5K miles

I still think this is the best LS1 report of all considering the useage. John, I'm with you. M1 is an incredible bargain without question.

[ February 26, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Now the question is what lowered the ware metals.
The engine is definitely more broken in at this milage than it was when mobil 1 was used. We know the copper slowly drops on these engines as they ware in. Not sure about the other ware metals. I think both oils are first class and I don't believe we will see much difference.

Buster that is nowhere near the best LS1 report.

The two best on here are Vettenuts C5 running Amsoil 5w30, and ajax's f-body running Schaeffer 5w30. Both had extremely low iron (close to 1ppm/1k)

Patman, Vettenuts babies his car. Lead of 3 with this report when driven VERY hard is more impressive. You have to consider how each car is driven. Amsoil doesn't do any better then M1 in LS1's. Look at 3mp's study so far.
smile.gif

That's why I'd love to see GC 0w30 in an LS1, since I got a lead value of 1ppm per 1000 miles with it in my LT1, and I drive harder than anyone on here.

quote:

That's why I'd love to see GC 0w30 in an LS1,

I thihk GC would do VERY well in a LS1. GC seems to be doing well in any car right now. Best 0w-30 out there right now IMO. It is possible that ASL would do better then M1 in multiple tests over M1, but I'm not really convinced it's any better at this point. Other things like TBN retention and oxidation seem to be problems with Amsoil lately.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
That's why I'd love to see GC 0w30 in an LS1, since I got a lead value of 1ppm per 1000 miles with it in my LT1, and I drive harder than anyone on here.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Harder than ANYone on here?????
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LS1-CAMARO:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Harder than ANYone on here?????
wink.gif

Well, harder than 99.9% of the people here!
smile.gif
If the roads are dry, and there is an opening in traffic, my foot goes right to the floor. So there are many days where I'm blasting to the redline a good two dozen times. Especially lately, now that spring is approaching!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Patman, you need Redline. I wouldn't even second guess using if you drive that hard.
smile.gif

GC is doing very well for me right now, but Redline is a consideration if GC pulls a vanishing act on me. The biggest problem though, is the fact that Redline costs twice as much as GC up here.
frown.gif

But yes, I do drive hard. This morning I went out for a drive and the roads were pretty deserted, especially when I took a detour through an industrial park. Made quite a few full throttle launches from a dead stop up to about 80mph. Spring is in the air!
smile.gif

When you consider Molekule/Terry's explanations on why RL shows weird UOA's, it becomes more understandable why RL is the oil for hard driving. It's clearly built to take abuse.
smile.gif

Patman, you need Redline. I wouldn't even second guess using if you drive that hard.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back