Mobil 1 0w30 (2003)

I thought this was interesting. 20 years ago old and the formulation looks almost identical to what we see today. Some differences include ZDP, and lower Ca that is now balanced with Mg. I'm sure there are other differences too not visible.

This is probably what the guy from Lubrication Explained meant by stagnant formulations.

Moly/Boron are clearly time tested and proven.

aluminum 0
chromium 0
iron 1
copper 0
lead 0
tin 0
molybdenum 75
nickel 0
manganese 0
silver 0
titanium 0
potassium 0
boron 182
silicon 4
sodium 8
calcium 2666
magnesium 18
phosphorus 847
zinc 955
barium 0
SUS visc 61.8 [ref. 55-62]
flash F 445 [VOA spec. is 450]
@212F
fuel --
antifreeze --
water 0.0
insolubles trace
TBN 12.5

Last edited:
Any idea if this was the tail end of the tri-syn era? I loved the tri-syn. Absolutely some of the cleanest engines I’ve seen at high mileage.
As Buster correctly stated this was after the 'Tri-Syn' version and the beginning of the 'SuperSyn version'. I used this oil often in my 02' Buick and 08' Corolla. I actually still have a some of it. I also have some Tri-Syn in my 'collection'.

This is supersyn. Tri syn looks more like HPL PCMO except with alota moly that tri syn didnt have
Actually...the SJ version of Tri-Syn didn't have moly but the SL version did.

I know that AN's were one of the 'three' parts of 'Tri-Syn' which probably accounts for the engine cleanliness
that Glenda W. mentioned.

Unless you’re really swimming in blow by there’s little need for high TBN today. Back then there was a lot more sulfur in fuel.
What about running E85 or even our current E10 fuels? From what I understand, ethanol creates more acids than pure gas. Is there any negative to higher TBN?

I thought this was interesting. 20 years ago old and the formulation looks almost identical to what we see today. Some differences include ZDP, and lower Ca that is now balanced with Mg. I'm sure there are other differences too not visible.

This is probably what the guy from Lubrication Explained meant by stagnant formulations.

Moly/Boron are clearly time tested and proven.

aluminum 0
chromium 0
iron 1
copper 0
lead 0
tin 0
molybdenum 75
nickel 0
manganese 0
silver 0
titanium 0
potassium 0
boron 182
silicon 4
sodium 8
calcium 2666
magnesium 18
phosphorus 847
zinc 955
barium 0
SUS visc 61.8 [ref. 55-62]
flash F 445 [VOA spec. is 450]
@212F
fuel --
antifreeze --
water 0.0
insolubles trace
TBN 12.5
API SL in 2003. Where did this VOA come from? Was it done back in the day or was it done recently from an old container?

As I mentioned earlier I used a good amount of this oil years ago and liked it. I got it on 'Clearance' for $3 a quart IIRC at RS Strauss (a northeast chain that has since gone out of business). I'm assuming it was PAO based because I don't think EM had started using Gr. III yet.

Another oil that I bought a good amount of on 'Clearance' at AA around 2007 was full synthetic SM rated Motorcraft 5w20 (not the semi-synthetic). I liked the way it ran in my 2001 Accord that spec'd 5w20. That was back when I was afraid to go over 5K on an OCI but in hindsight I'm sure the Motorcraft FS could have went much further. The base oil was made in Korea.

Sadly, with the 'advancement' of DI I'm back to doing shorter OCIs.

Back