4-way Metric Lug Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Looking for a high quality, last-a-lifetime cross lug wrench, non-collapsible.

For whatever reason I've always like removing and installing my wheels by hand, following an installation with a torque wrench. I've always used the hobby shop's cross lug wrench, but I've been busy the past two times I've swapped tires and had to squeeze it in out in the condo parking lot, using the OEM wrench, which really sucks.

19mm is very close to standard 3/4"; however, I feel like the universal lug wrench the shop had wasn't as snug as it should be. Might have been worn or low quality, but I believe the second cross they had was ONLY metric and I remember it fitting the lugs perfectly.

So, what do you guys recommend?

Ask the auto parts store if you can try it out in their parking lot. Some are crudely finished and hurt one's hands in operation, something you can discover if you heft it for yourself.

19mm is so close to 3/4" I can't imagine any tool maker deciding on one vs the other. You should get 19, 21, 22 (7/8), and either 17mm or something even bigger. I think you just encountered a cheap or worn-out tool.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Unlike my cars, I tend to buy American made tools and this is what I suggest:
https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-35663-4-Way-Lug-Wrench/dp/B000P6USTM

I'll check that out.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Ask the auto parts store if you can try it out in their parking lot. Some are crudely finished and hurt one's hands in operation, something you can discover if you heft it for yourself.

19mm is so close to 3/4" I can't imagine any tool maker deciding on one vs the other. You should get 19, 21, 22 (7/8), and either 17mm or something even bigger. I think you just encountered a cheap or worn-out tool.

It is and you're probably right. I should have paid attention to the make of the good one. It felt solid, fit the nut well and spun well. The other one (or two) were pretty terrible. Makes me worry about buying online, though Amazon's return policy is pretty liberal.

I know exactly where you're coming from and all I can say is, for now, forget it.

Maybe in the future some good company will make 'Custom, delicate, slender, quality T wrenches" with specifiable sizes.

I must check out the linked tool. Kira

edit: The darn ad didn't even mention the sizes. Forget it for now....and what about my brother's 22mm lugs?

I just use my socket set. A dedicated tool like that takes up a lot of space, I wouldn't use it nearly enough to justify buying one, and it surprises me a bit that anyone does.

Pros (and apparently a lot of amateurs, which is also puzzling) are going to be using power tools so not much use to them either.

Last edited:
If you want the best this is the one for you. Jump on it quick. 8hrs left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hazet-705V-02-Radkreuz-Kreuzschlussel-fur-PKW-/382044719076?hash=item58f3a3c7e4:g:stoAAOSwNnRYfL7B

A friend had the largest (in terms of span) T wrench I ever saw. It had to be 30" (75 cm).

You put it on the lug and gave it a spin. Snugging lug bolts had human involvement.

And it was quiet. It's almost funny. When I was young, cheap Chinese T wrenches were clunky garbage. Today the cheap Chinese T wrench is more finished and USA made ones are production afterthoughts.

I decided on the Tekton 20". It has a 19mm and a 3/4" socket. A quick check revealed that the fitment is nearly identical.
13.gif

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NPXIGA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forgot to mention: clearance is a little over an inch from the tee handle to the ground while on the lowest lug nut for the Civic - plenty of room, though I'd have it jacked up and on stands prior to spinning nuts on or off, anyway.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
19mm and 13mm (1/2) are substituted from time to time on sockets ...

Right. Part of me was hoping the 19mm would fit super snugly, compared to the 3/4". The difference is really imperceptible, since the 19mm has a very small amount of wiggle room while on the lug nut, too. I consider the fitment acceptable.

The wrench itself feels great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back