4-cycle fuel for lawn mower question

. Is TruFuel/VP that much better for my lawn mower than regular gas or even gas station ethanol free fuel? Thanks for the input.
Marketing works, hook line and sinker , What is really bad is when people regurgitate marketing claims as fact.

If your only using a little gas each season, then canned fuel makes sense...

Saves the hassle of finding ethanol free fuel, then adding stabilizer and 2 cycle mix, if necessary...

If your burning a moderate amount, you will go broke...

I posted some alternatives...

I bought a new Craftsman push mower in 2004. Still runs just fine on Chevron Regular.

I use E/10 in my lawn equipment and have for years without a problem but, if I were going to use E/0 I'd use pump grade. I do try to run the tanks empty in the fall to prevent problems the next spring.

I make my own E0 in a clear glass bottle. I take E10, add 20% water, shake it up, let it sit overnight, and decant the pure gas.

You lose some octane, so you may want to start with premium octane fuel. I start with regular and my equipment runs fine.

I've been using Trufuel 92 for the last three years in my honda lawnmower and Ariens snowblower
for storage. I use Shell super 91 with no ethanal during season. After I run the engine
out with no gas, I then add 4 or 5 oz of Trufuel and run engine for a few minutes and then shut it off.
The carb will have Trufuel in it and that's how I store my equipment.

That’s generally what I do too. OPE gets some trufuel and then goes into storage. I’ve had some stuff (chainsaws) sit for years unintentionally and then fire right up when I need them as if I had just used them yesterday. Just as good as storing empty and maybe better since there’s less open space for condensation to build.

I’ve been putting TruFuel 92 octane ethanol-free fuel in my Honda push mower for going on 3 years. It’s ~$17/gal at Home Depot. I found 94 octane VP small engine ethanol free fuel at a local small engine store for ~$15.50/gal. My point here is, I’m mowing more frequently as the season ramps up, and I’m wondering if the cost associated with fuel is worth it. Is TruFuel/VP that much better for my lawn mower than regular gas or even gas station ethanol free fuel? Thanks for the input.
Pump ethanol free all the time. It costs .60-.80 premium over E-10. Worth it for the small engines and my motorcycle. No carb gumming, no separation. Ez.

Bought my old Sears Craftsman Mulcher mower with cast aluminum deck in 1992, and all I've ever used in it is pump gas with StaBil added to it. At first gas was ethanol free, then came the MTBE era, then ethanol. Only issue was with MTBE in the gas. I had to replace the fuel line that got soft and mushy, basically melted! Still using the original spark plug but I've cleaned and regapped it several times. A few years ago it began flooding and shutting down. Finally took the carb off and dissembled the bowl, and found a tiny hole in the old brass float where it would drop down and rest on a spot on the bowl. Over time it wore a hole in the float. Got it dried out and soldered over the hole, and to this day it still starts on 1st pull usually with about 10 pushes of the primer bulb, and runs great. Main problem with it now is, the wheels are worn out and they were discontinued years ago. Found the service manual online and even though it's the same model and "Mulcher" it shows only one blade so apparently Sears did away with the "Twin Blade" setup.

mowertwinblade.jpg
mowertwinblade1.jpg

I bought a new Honda mower in 2018 but I still love the old Craftsman for ease of maneuverability. The Craftsman also mulches better than the new Honda. Wish I could find another one!

I’ve been putting TruFuel 92 octane ethanol-free fuel in my Honda push mower for going on 3 years. It’s ~$17/gal at Home Depot. I found 94 octane VP small engine ethanol free fuel at a local small engine store for ~$15.50/gal. My point here is, I’m mowing more frequently as the season ramps up, and I’m wondering if the cost associated with fuel is worth it. Is TruFuel/VP that much better for my lawn mower than regular gas or even gas station ethanol free fuel? Thanks for the input.
I buy non-ethanol gas at a Casey's General Store. It's around $2.89 a gallon. I use it in all my small engines. Maybe you don't have Casey's, but if you checked around, I would think you could find it. Check this out. https://www.pure-gas.org/

Main problem with it now is, the wheels are worn out and they were discontinued years ago.

View attachment 58357View attachment 58358
If I see a clapped out mower in someone's trash I pull off the wheels. I have a nice set at my grandson's right now for a "soap box" racer. These ones came off an electric mower with a major fracture - looked like someone ran into a rock or stump.

Why would you use $25.00 per gallon gas when pump gas works just fine, the marketing? I have a 20111 Honda HRC mower that cuts 15,000 sq ft of lawn and it gets pump gas.

I use can fuel in a Stihl chainsaw - don’t use it often and want it to start easily ~
Stabil in Exxon regular for all other OPE …

I'll admit that I used 40:1 TruFuel in my trimmer full-time, mainly because I detest having to mix the fuel & oil. In the mower, I use pump gas all season, and when it's time to park it, I change the oil, fill it with TruFuel, run it a few minutes, and put it away. Never a problem in the spring. I don't think it's necessary to use TruFuel in the mower if it's not going to be sitting around un-used.

Why would you use $25.00 per gallon gas when pump gas works just fine, the marketing? I have a 20111 Honda HRC mower that cuts 15,000 sq ft of lawn and it gets pump gas.
^this
I don't think it really matters whether you use E10 or E0, at least in Hondas. For most of its life, my 24 year-old Honda HRS216 had a steady diet of E10 87. Of course, I have always added a splash of 2 cycle oil and carb cleaner to each gallon, so this practice may mitigate the ethanol effects.

Back