Gas additive for lawn equipment

I use a double dose of the blue Sta-Bil Marine 360. I've never had an issue with the ethanol fuel here in CT (almost all of it is 10% ethanol) and neither have my customers that use it also.

I just started using Seafoam this year, as it did wonders in my old Jeep, which gets run just a little more than my mower, as a weekend toy. The Jeep gets a can every other tank, as one of those tanks will end up being the storage tank due to the low amount of miles it gets every year.

It also fixed my generator, which was relying on half choke to run properly. Now it runs perfectly. Stabil has been my usual go to.

I'm a fan of Sea Foam. I've always added it to my 5 gallon gas cans and I only use non-ethanol fuel. I pour a small amount into my OPE gas tanks when I fill as well (probably overkill, but what the hey?) Havent had any engine or carb related problems with any of my OPE in 14 years of home ownership.

All of my chainsaws run canned fuel, unless I'm doing a big job (I just scored about a dozen ash from my neighbor) and then I'll mix the local E10. I have thousands of dollars in my saws, so they get put away with canned fuel as well. The larger equipment like my snow blowers and generator are more resilient to stored E10 in the tank with Sta-bil.

Sta-bil is added to all 4-stroke gas cans at the pump. In addition:

Snowblowers (4 of them) - Shot of MMO and Berryman B12
Stihl MS261/460, 1978 Mcculloch 555 and other chainsaws - Canned fuel for storage or E10 mix with 2-stroke oil, no additional additives.
2003 Murray Lawn Tractor 13.5HP B&S Shot of MMO - starts up in Spring without issues.
Log Splitter 6.5HP - I use it nearly year round as I process wood. Just the stabilized fuel.
Generac 2700 Power washer - A Shot of MMO and B12 (overkill, but she always fires up). Neglected and given to me from by buddy. Had it running in a half hour.
Giant Vac 5HP push leaf blower - A shot of MMO.

I've always felt that the MMO was good for the valve guides, especially in the B&S in my Lawn Tractor. I have no data to back it up except that MMO is cheap and it makes me feel better. It also smells good.

For a time I ran E10 fuel with Stabil Marine 360 in the four cycle stuff. Both the snowblower and generator were stored in the attached garage and this resulted in a strong smell of gas that would find its way into the house. Last year I found a convenient source of 89 octane E0 fuel so now I don't treat the entire 5 gallon jug when purchasing gas. The smell of gasoline in the garage has virtually disappeared. Seldom used equipment stored in the shed get a small dose of St.abil.

As for the two cycle toys, which also tend to live in the garage, they get the pre-mixed Ethanol 50:1 Tru-Fuel. I've not had a fuel related issue with the two cycle equipment since switching to Tru-Fuel.

You might as well use ethanol fuel, you are adding alcohol with the seafoam.
According to its MSDS, Sea foam contains less than 25% isopropanol. If you follow the directions, you are adding 1 fluid ounce per gallon which means that you are adding a maximum of .25 fl ozs of alcohol for every 128 fl oz of gasoline. Compare this to using E10 pump fuel where you have 12.8 fl ozs of alcohol for every 115.2 fl oz of gasoline.

In other words, E10 fuel contains about 52x more alcohol than just adding Sea Foam to E0 fuel. Many members have run Sea Foam without issue in their small engines over the course of several years, myself included.

According to its MSDS, Sea foam contains less than 25% isopropanol. If you follow the directions, you are adding 1 fluid ounce per gallon which means that you are adding a maximum of .25 fl ozs of alcohol for every 128 fl oz of gasoline. Compare this to using E10 pump fuel where you have 12.8 fl ozs of alcohol for every 115.2 fl oz of gasoline.

In other words, E10 fuel contains about 52x more alcohol than just adding Sea Foam to E0 fuel. Many members have run Sea Foam without issue in their small engines over the course of several years, myself included.

That‘s a really good point. Never thought about it like that. Thank you

I always give my small engine gas a nip of Stabil. I also use ethanol free 89 octane gasoline.

Yeah I do try and run the snow thrower out of gas every year but it doesn't always happen. My generator is natural gas so that doesn't apply, but I'm sure it is beneficial to not have any gasoline (E0 or E10) sit several months in the carburetor bowl and tank.
The other thing is many Chonda gens have a drain on the carb bowl …
You can drain/refill “now or later” before starting … might also help with those cheap hoses … but I tend to change them in the 1st 3 years anyway (just had another crack) …

I use non-ethanol regular in my riding mower, pressure washer and any 4 cycle small engine. For all of my 2 cycle stuff, I use non-ethanol premium. What gas additives are y’all using for your lawn mowers, string trimmers and other lawn and 2 cycle equipment? I’m looking for something that keeps fuel fresh and contains a cleaner. I’m trying to get away from Sea Foam because of the amount of alcohol it contains.

I use non ethanol premium (91 octane top tier fuel) and the appropriate amount of stabil for the gas. I do add some MMO in the equipment gas tank as needed once in a while.

I've said before, I've used 87 octane pump gas for years with no problems. You guys got me scared a few years ago and I started using B&S fuel stabilizer in my JD 425, with still no problems. All our gas is E10 except premium. I mix 2 cycle gas some, and use TruFuel a lot. I go thru maybe a gallon and a half a year of 2 cycle, maybe more when cutting trees or something like that. My 2 cycle tiller has set for years at a time and started up with a few pulls. I hadn't had it started for a couple of years at least just a month ago and started it and it was easy to start and it's one of those chinese RK tillers? Who knows maybe i'm just lucky, but never had a fuel problem. My snow blower is sitting under the back deck while I rebuild my building, and it too hasn't been started for 2 years, maybe I'll go see if it starts when the building is done and put it back in there.

The other thing is many Chonda gens have a drain on the carb bowl …
You can drain/refill “now or later” before starting … might also help with those cheap hoses … but I tend to change them in the 1st 3 years anyway (just had another crack) …
Yeah, whats up with that?, When I had to replace the petcock on my Generac, the hose was like a wood twig.

Usually nothing, except a splash of B12 upon first use of the season.

E10 fuel in all 4-strokes

Tru-Fuel 50:1 in all 2s. I’m accumulating more 2-stroke gear, so I might start mixing my own next season.

I run all of them dry before storage.

Back