Ethanol-free pump gas for 2-cycle fuel vs PreMix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a place near me with 110 octane ethanol-free racing fuel at the pump. Wondering if this would keep for an extended period of time like eth-free premix gas such as TruFuel and MotoMix for 2-cycle engines. Works out to be about 1/2 price per gallon using the 110 octane.

My local QT's has 87 octane ethanol free right beside their other fuel offerings. I have used this for several summers and not had any fuel issues with it. I keep it through the winter and it seems to stay stable. I am sure that it loses some octane over time but the equipment doesn't seem to care.

Kroger fueling station near me in Lake Orion has ethanol free fuel at 90 octane, started using that in all the OPE so it doesn't gum up the carburetors

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Found a place near me with 110 octane ethanol-free racing fuel at the pump. Wondering if this would keep for an extended period of time like eth-free premix gas such as TruFuel and MotoMix for 2-cycle engines. Works out to be about 1/2 price per gallon using the 110 octane.

Make sure its lead free.

I realize premix is more expensive but for the few QTs a year I use its not a big deal.

Just an FYI, it's exceedingly difficult to make a viable fuel that is all three:

a) Unleaded
b) 100 octane or higher
c) non oxygenated

Remember, that oxygenated fuels don't store well.
Remember that oxygenates include ethanol, and other additives.

I'd guess this is leaded race fuel, and as such, will probably store forever. But you may increase the risk of fouling sparkplugs.

There is a very good reason that leaded 100LL Avgas has not been replaced with unleaded. It's so difficult to make a "useful" non oxygenated high octane unleaded, many of us are starting to think it may not be possible.

Sure, you can add 50% Tolune or other component to gasoline to raise the octane. But good luck starting the engine..

I use a fuel from VP Racing Fuels, called: C9. It's a 96 octane unleaded, non oxygenated race and storage fuel. Never goes bad, runs incredibly well.

I use 90 octane "recreational gas" E0 costs about $4/gal

in the tractor well.. it gets everything
not really a big deal in the spring when I'm mowing every 4-5 days.
I do use Pri-G treatment

.. but I try to keep the small OPE on Ethanol free.

In years past before storing for winter I have run them the last time on the premix canned stuff.
usually Echo red-armor, but I got some free from sears so I used that last year.

The honda powered mower gets 87 e-10 with 93 octane to start the year

Last year I got a couple of the Metal Eagle Safety gas cans so this year I am going to try and run the rec fuel in everything all year.
The closest gas station that has it is about 30miles away but I drive past once a month or so.. just have to remember the gas cans.

puregas.org to find non ethanol locations. stored in a metal air tight container out of the sun it lasts a long time. premium non eath is a little more than eath premium + octane varies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back