4.3L Volvo Penta Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all, this is my 1st post. I want to start by saying I did search the forum and found discussions on old threads about the questions I have, but not quite the answers, so instead of reviving threads that are over 2 years old, I hope you don't mind me starting a new one.

My 2003 4.3L (Carb) Volvo Penta calls for Synthetic SAE 30. I have been using the Volvo brand oil. I saw on a previous thread that Amsoil does not make the oil for Volvo. Anyone know who does?

I see Royal Purple has a SAE 30, but I don't even see an Amsoil SAE 30.

The Owner's Manual says 15W-50 or 20W-50 if the recommended SAE 30 is not available.

What would you guys, that know much more than me, do? I'd feel better running SAE 30 since that is recommended, but what are my choices in a Synthetic SAE 30?

Any comments at all, even if it's a different route than SAE 30, are appreciated and thanks in advance!

Looking to use same oil in my Toro lawnmower if I do stay with SAE 30 in boat.

In an application without a catalytic converter diesel oil is probably a great choice. I doubt you'll find many syn sae 30 oils that aren't marketed towards diesel engines.

You will be hard pressed find an oil in your application that will top ACD . That said a 15w-40 HDEO would work great.

I think many of the Volvo/OMC 30 weight synthetic bottles are Amsoil.
Other than that, the v6 engines can be a bit prone to heat issues. Make sure that you use a heavy duty oil.

I would use the Amsoil ACD 30w...you can't go wrong and won't exceed it's capabilities.
thumbsup2.gif

I haven't seen a bottle lately, but look on the back of the Volvo bottle. If it is from anywhere in Europe, it is probably a Castrol product.

Otherwise, I would stick with a straight 30, especially with carbs. I'm sure an HDEO would be fine in that engine, but if it must be a synthetic, then both Amsoil and the OEM Volvo are good picks. Avoid the esters in marine duty except at very short intervals.

Is the Volvo oil giving you problems, or does it just cost too much? With the inherent cost of boat ownership, trying to save a few bucks on engine oil is near the bottom of the list, IMO.

the 4.3 is just the Vortech V-6 Chevy makes for it's light trucks.
Nothing special except that it's marinized.
It will run at high rpms for extended periods and it operates in a high humidity enviornment.
The carb, if it's carburated, is set on the rich side and the thermostat is 160º.
Go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back