3rz Oil grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day chaps, What engine oil grade do you use in a 3rz-fe? I am running 5w40 syn. We have harsh climates +/- 40deg C at times. I have noted impressive gains on a friends 3rz with 5w30 syn in terms of fuel consumption.

Are there in any negatives to running a 5w30 syn? is it within spec? Toyota SA specs say a 10w30 is in spec but a 5-w30 is for temps only up to 14deg C. From what I gather most engines are using 5w30 now or does it depend from engine to engine?

My only concern is when I go up to Namibia and the temp hits 45deg C/115F, I dont want to damage here and I dont want to compromise engine reliability.

Thanks

I would continue to use syn 5W-40. That extra fuel consumption is cheap engine insurance..
If you want to go "a little thinner" choose an oil that has ACEA A3 (HTHS@150C > 3.5), examples are M1 0W-40 or Castrol SLX (Syntec) 0W-30.

I'd personally go with the thinnest oil that meets the tougher specifications. I do not think that 115 degrees ambient temp is "harder" on an engine that 75 degree temps...assuming an intact, well designed, fully functioning cooling system on the vehicle.

Most of chevron products. Caltex Havoline Fully Synthetics/ Havoline energy 5w30 synthetic. Castrol edge syn 5-w30 and 5w40.

The one I would likely use is Havoline Energy 5-w30

Self certified ACEA: A1-98 and B1-98
Licensed API: SJ/EC
FORD WSS-M2C912-A1
ILSAC GF-2

ACEA A3 (HTHS@150C > 3.5) sorry to be a pain could you please explain the above and why you recommend it.

Thanks

BryanW, can you get Castrol Formula SLX LongTec 0w30? It would be a good compromise between the Havoline Energy 5w30 synthetic and the syn 5w40 you're using.

I think we do have it. Might be hard to find though..

Key benefits
Castrol Formula SLX Longtec provides performance reserves and longer lasting technology demonstrating:

* Superior sludge control

* Excellent deposit control offering enhanced engine cleanliness

* Improved engine durability

* 'Stay in grade' capability and viscosity control

Specifications

* ACEA A3/B3/B4

* API SL/CF

* MB 229.3, 229.5

* GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025

* VW 502 00/503 01/505 00

Is this a better rated oil than the Havoline Energy?

Thanks for the info. Finally grasping all the HTHS tech. What classifies it as good? Over 3.5? I think I might have a look around around for the Castrol, If i cant I will stick to the Caltex 5w40.

Apprecaite all the help.

Regards
Bryan

The key differences is that it has the ACEA A3/B3 rating with a HTHS of 3.5 and has a viscosity of ~12 cSt at 100°C compared to the ~15 cSt at 100°C of the 5w40. This should improve your fuel economy a little while insuring you have all the protection you need for any circumstance.

quote:

Originally posted by BryanW:
What classifies it as good? Over 3.5?

Not necessarily, it depends on the application. Castrol Formula SLX LongTec 0w30 has demonstrated excellent performance irregardless of it's HTHS, covers Toyota recommendations, and should provide a slight increase in fuel efficiency due to it's comparative viscometrics to what you're currently using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back