3rd world problems - Counterfeit oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by turnbowm
Originally Posted by Donald
In the US its the quick change oil places that are likely to have refilled Mobil 1 containers with bulk oil. Its probably OK oil, but unlikely synthetic.

In the US if you buy oil from Walmart you can be pretty sure its not counterfeit as they are too big and buy directly from a blender. I suppose once and awhile there is a container of quality oil on the shelf that is used or cheap oil refilled into the container, but that has got to be pretty rare. Few people will risk some legal issues trying to save $25.

That's the reason why I check the cap seal.

I pour the first teaspoon of oil from the container onto the filter base and then rub that onto gasket with finger. So I would certainly notice if used oil at that point. Or diesel or heating oil.

I am looking for some kind of seal or cap-ring also.

The same problem occurs in Asia with premium whiskey. They refill the bottle (with whatever is on hand) and resell it. Wood alcohol poisoning is common.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
In the US its the quick change oil places that are likely to have refilled Mobil 1 containers with bulk oil. Its probably OK oil, but unlikely synthetic.

In the US if you buy oil from Walmart you can be pretty sure its not counterfeit as they are too big and buy directly from a blender. I suppose once and awhile there is a container of quality oil on the shelf that is used or cheap oil refilled into the container, but that has got to be pretty rare. Few people will risk some legal issues trying to save $25.

That's the reason why I check the cap seal.

I pour the first teaspoon of oil from the container onto the filter base and then rub that onto gasket with finger. So I would certainly notice if used oil at that point. Or diesel or heating oil.

I just shake the bottle and look under the cap.

Royal Purple is perfectly OK oil to use. Some here didn't like the purple silly color they add, but its fine. ... In North America, it is way over-priced for some strange reason, while in Asia it is actually cheaper than others. I find that odd.
Of course, make sure Royal Purple has the dexos1 and-or SN approval ratings, which most of their oils have. ... And of course the purple dye they put in is some assurance it is the real stuff, so buy Royal Purple.
A seal is very easy to glue back on (new round foil piece needed, and super glue). The cap-ring thing I guess could be faked if one could somehow weld the plastic back on, although it seems tricky to do. I dunno.

I've heard some oil change service shops have "sold" a synthetic oil change to customers, while only putting in a cheaper 10w30 conventional GroupII oil to cheat them.

Last edited:
Pay a premium price (probably) at a dealership and rest easy you're getting the good stuff. If not I would go with Shell Helix. Good luck and welcome!

Couple of questions here:

Where are you geographically located?

What are the countries of origin on the available brands of oil you mention? You could buy oil at the dealership, but in most countries in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia, they are often sourced locally or regionally, and you only end up paying a dealership premium without getting the level of quality you would expect.

Also, you mention Vic filters. Vic is a reputable Japanese filter manufacturer, I often use their filters in Japanese applications. Provided the ones available to you are not counterfeit, their filters are made in Japan.

I have a Master's degree with a minor in English and I assure you that your mastery of the English language is excellent. If possible, I would buy my oil from a distributor. Doing so would, or certainly should, assure that you are purchasing the actual product. Thankfully we do not have a problem in Texas with counterfeit engine oils. I like to read a Russian website which is translated into English. They have a problem with counterfeit oils as well. Attempting to understand what the writer is saying, as translated can be a challenge! Your post is written as if English is your primary language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back