3PMSF Tire Michelin Crossclimate or Goodyear Weatherready?

Hi

I am looking for a set of 3PMSF tires for my SUV.

I am looking at both the Michelin Crossclimate and the Goodyear Weatherready.

The price is about the same.

The application is for a SUV in the San Francisco Bay Area but looking for good snow performance for Winter Weekend Warrior trips to Lake Tahoe for skiing.

Any ideas or feedback on these two tires?

For what its worth...

I just spoke to a person at Michelin and was told that the CrossClimate and CrossClimate SUV are NOT 3PMSF rated tires however the CrossClimate 2 IS 3PMSF rated. They do not make the CC2 in my size.

I guess I will go with the Goodyears.

For what its worth...

I just spoke to a person at Michelin and was told that the CrossClimate and CrossClimate SUV are NOT 3PMSF rated tires however the CrossClimate 2 IS 3PMSF rated. They do not make the CC2 in my size.

I guess I will go with the Goodyears.
You need to talk to someone else. Even on first page of Michelins website for the CC SUV it has the 3PMSF logo and description...

I hate to say it, but Michelin Customer service is slipping. Last time i spoke to them it was pretty clear they did not have access to anything more than the website.

Still I would pick the Michelin.

I never met a Good Year tire I liked.

so the issue is a bit complicated. in my size 255/55/18 they do not make a CC or a CC2. They make a CCSUV however it does not show up in the Michelin system because it is a tire that is only sold to discount dealers like tire rack, discount tire direct, sams club, walmart, etc...

so the issue is a bit complicated. in my size 255/55/18 they do not make a CC or a CC2. They make a CCSUV however it does not show up in the Michelin system because it is a tire that is only sold to discount dealers like tire rack, discount tire direct, sams club, walmart, etc...

Well, order them from tire rack, they even have a rebate ATM.

Michelin said when launching the CC - a summer tire that works in winter.
Its a summer focused all season for moderate regions / short winters.
Where it struggles is icy/slushy conditions.
As a heavily sipped tire the Goodyear would be more of a winter focused tire.

Unlike what some may believe, Goodyear does make a few excellent tires. I imagine you would probably like the Goodyears the best during 99.9% of your driving. Is the tiny and I mean tiny advantage of snow traction worth it to you with the Michelins? The Michelins most likely won't provide a real world benefit.
I can personally attest to the Eagle Exhilarate being a fantastic tire. I think people dislike Goodyear’s because they were put on so many vehicles and being specd by the manufacturer for low rolling resistance, they truly did suck for an OEM tire. Seems like Hankook is in the same boat. Never had them, but have read enough reviews for Mercedes Metris vans that use Hankook to scare me from ever owning them.

I can personally attest to the Eagle Exhilarate being a fantastic tire. I think people dislike Goodyear’s because they were put on so many vehicles and being specd by the manufacturer for low rolling resistance, they truly did suck for an OEM tire. Seems like Hankook is in the same boat. Never had them, but have read enough reviews for Mercedes Metris vans that use Hankook to scare me from ever owning them.
Have had factory Hankook tires with very tight treads for the smooth and quiet aspects - but not good at water evacuation. Replaced with the GY Eagle GT and much better …

I found my CC2's to be quite good in the slush. It doesn't pull the car all over like my all-seasons did, and seems to clear it better fwiw. On ice and hard pack they are only average, but still a bit better then the good all-seasons I had...

I just put a set of the WeatherReadys on my 2020 Fusion a few weeks ago. They replaced the OEM Energy Saver A/S’s with 11,000 miles on them as they were abysmal in the snow this past winter season. I’ve put 1,000 miles on the GY WRdy and I am pleasantly surprised. They ride well and are quiet considering the tread design.

I couldn’t decide between these and the CC2 but couldn’t get past the inability to rotate side to side with the CC2 tread design.

Gas mileage average has dropped about 2 mpg from 34 to 32 but with the improved all weather traction and handling that’s a small sacrifice.
the car still gets 35-36 consistently on the highway at 75 mph so I am not the least bit disappointed.

I can post a couple pics of the tires on the car later.

Last edited:
I am going to pass on the CC and get the Goodyear Weatherready

So what do you think of the WRdy after driving on them for one winter season? '21-'22 was my first winter on the WRdy on my 2020 Fusion and I am very impressed (compared to the Michelin Enegery Saver A/S which were absolutely abysmal in the snow '20-'21 winter). They handled quite well in the lake effect snowfall of the West Michigan region. My only minor complaint would be they need additional traction on takeoff. Other than that I think they are exceptional.

I'd like to hear what you think of them.

I seems like to me, to give it "Summer tire" like qualities, the tread blocks are long, which hurts its performance in the winter, in particular in deeper, heavy wet snow. Its competition has smaller tread blocks, have more siping, which won't help it in the 3-seasons, but withstanding rubber compound differences, should dig into the snow better.

Buying tires is a trade off, no matter what category you choose.

Back