.38 special ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has a Ruger .357 and I've recommended to him not to use full bore 357 mag ammunition in it for home defense, as the muzzle blast and flash is blinding and the noise can be deafening inside a home. I know you can get some really good 38 Special ammunition. I've read the one of the tops is 158 grain LSWCHP +p, but apparently you can't get it anymore. No one locally has it.

So what would be my next best choice? I'm thinking the Federal hydra shock JHP 129 grain +P. Any other recommendations?

Oh, you can definitely get the .38 LSWHP 158 +P. I just bought 500 rounds last week and they still have it in stock. PM me if you want a link. And yes, you are correct about the round. It is tops in the .38. I have a Ruger SP101 .357 and all I will use in it anymore for home defense is .38. The recoil from the .357 in a smaller revolver is not worth the loss in accuracy because of the flinching of this little hand rocket.

Last edited:
Speer Gold Dot 38 Special + P Gold Dot Hollow Point, 135 GR, 860 fps.

Street Proven.

fyi..

the .357 Magnum was designed for State Troopers for use against vehicles. Not home defence.

Last edited:
Can you actually buy 38 special +p defense ammunition locally at a place such as Walmart?

I found a link with compiled data of police shootings and the best ammunition for 38 special was Remington golden saber 125 grain +p.

Wal Mart does carry Hollow Points as well as practice ammo.

Winchester Brand.

But not the more costly "designer" HP's.

Have you seen the frangible bullets. I thought the idea sounded kinda neat. Over penetration(going through multiple walls) is a big concern in a densely populated area. If he lives out in the sticks then I would use some of the Buffalo Bore ammo designed for the exact purpose and specifications you list.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Can you actually buy 38 special +p defense ammunition locally at a place such as Walmart?

I found a link with compiled data of police shootings and the best ammunition for 38 special was Remington golden saber 125 grain +p.

I like and use Golden Sabres a lot in my P229 .40, but in the .38, I thought I remember reading a penetration test where it didn't do well.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Speer Gold Dot 38 Special + P Gold Dot Hollow Point, 135 GR, 860 fps.

Street Proven.

fyi..

the .357 Magnum was designed for State Troopers for use against vehicles. Not home defence.

Too much $$$. I'll stick to my .38 LSWHP +P 158 grainers. I practice with what I will use for self/home defense.

The 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter + P load you mention is a good load. It was used by the FBI for a number of years back when their issue gun was a S&W Model 13.

If you reload, Speer still has the 158 grain LSWCH bullet available as a reloading component. The 158 grain LSWCH bullet is available in boxes of 100 or in bulk packs of 500.

Who really cares how much noise it makes in a SD shooting? The idea is to stop the intruder. You will not remember the noise or the flash.
125gr HP

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Who really cares how much noise it makes in a SD shooting? The idea is to stop the intruder. You will not remember the noise or the flash.
125gr HP

Have you ever seen a revolver fired at night?

If an intruder comes into your house at night and the lights are out and you fire a round with big flash and noise you will quickly loose your night vision and hearing. What if you need a follow up shot? This is a worse case scenario. Manufactures such as Buffalo Bore have taken this into account and use modern propellants that have less visual flash when fired in the dark.

Not to be contentious but, you shoot until the threat is stopped.
Shooting at figures in the dark can kill loved ones, caution, know your target and what's beyond.
Follow up shots are more likely to be needed using a 38vs357.
And yes I've shot revolvers at night, 44mag with comp, very impressive but that was at a range. I've been unfortunate enough to do it for real and don't remember the flash or the sound.

Last edited:
Drew99GT I hope this article is helpful. I've read it many times and it could be a bit dated but it is a fun read if nothing else.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

And I agree with Smoky, know your target and what is behind it. I know you Drew99GT know your targets I am simply saying this for the millions who peruse BITOG. It is good practice to talk, eat, sleep, and live gun safety!

I recently found that article. Good read.
11.gif

We'll be sticking with the 38 special ammo. I'll stand by the notion that the muzzle blast and flash would be a bit too much inside a home, especially for my pops, with full house 357 rounds. I went with Remington 125 grain +P GS silvertips. They are the highest rated load according to police statistics.

Last edited:
I have a 686 Smith three-inch snub revolver. I practice with the Gold Dots in .38+P HPs, and when I carry it in the car, that's the round of choice. In the house, I load it with Glaser Slugs When I took the CCW course at NRA, the first couple of hours was legal issues, liability, tactics. Chief issue in the discussion on tactics was (as mentioned by a couple, but still too-few here in this thread) over-penetration whether you hit the object of your ire or not.

Full house magnum loads, HP or ball will travel a long way and pass through standard aluminum and vinyl clad walls three doors down and beyond if you miss. If you hit your guy and don't hit substantial tissue/bone, that round will pass through and go on down the road to an unknown and uninvolved target.

When I see a scene in a movie where a dood unloads 15 rounds unsighted and un-aimed from a 9MM, when I see a moron in a movie or TV series fire 6 from a .44 magnum with no idea of backstop, I wonder how many folks see that and think that's a good idea for home defense. Dirty Harry did the industry a disservice from a publicity and tactical standpoint.

These Glasers, if you miss, the first thing they hit, they crumble. If you hit, they "F" the dood up. Ideal in-home defense round. Doesn't get any better. Yeah, they cost, but not what it will cost WHEN you miss the bad guy with one or more rounds before you hit him. Twenty bucks for 6 is scant price to pay. Of course, I have my tactics, some of you all have yours, but within earshot of other homes, these are the way to go unless you don't really give a damm where your lead goes once it leaves your gun.

My humble opinion, as always, your mileage may vary.

Scroll down for photo below:

38SplP80grBlueGlaserSafetySlug.jpg

Last edited:
Glasers have very poor penetration. They MIGHT have some terminal effect on someone with light clothing and no bone hit. Forget them entirely on an oblique shot through the arms.

They are the ultimate high speed/bullet come apart too early round.

They are also VERY expensive ($2-3 per round) so there is no practical way to practice with them or even vet them in an auto loader. Practice ammo has very different ballistics so the point of impact and recoil are different.

They sound good on paper, but there is no way I would carry them.

Well, I don't carry them either, except my Smith is loaded with them in the house. If you feel the need for greater penetration, the silvers are a little harder, but here where I am, with other homes in close proximity, these are my rounds.

Like I said, some folks have no concern for where the rounds go when they miss, whether because there is no close proximity of other homes, or, they don't care where they go. To each, their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back