350Z/G35 or VQ35 owners: okay to run the 0W-30 GC despite it NOT being recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after days of searching, reading, and more searching on this great web site and forum, I have to post a new topic since I still haven't found the answer to my question.

I am the proud owner of an '06 350Z. At 4000 miles, I am due for my first oil change. With a K&N HP-1008 in hand, I am about to buy 5 quarts of gold GC at a local Auto Zone. Unless I overlooked something, GC only comes in 0W-30 viscosity. My owner's manual recommends 5W-40 for "all weather" driving and 10W-30 or 10W-40 for warmer weather. I live in San Diego now and will rarely see temps below 45 deg F all year round (25 deg F or so if I head to the mountains). So, a 20W oil is all I really need. Anyway, here is my actual question:

Until I am at temp, the oil running through my engine will be very thin (and against Nissan's recommendation). It's a new, solid engine, but is it really worth running such an unnecessarily thin oil just to get the notorius GC performance? Perhaps a Redline 10W-30 may be a good alternative (and one within Nissan's specs)? Aside from that, isn't having a smaller viscosity range more ideal anyway?

Any feedback- especially from VQ35 owners using GC- would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys for all the great information.
worshippy.gif

- Lukasz

I just departed the ranks of G35 owners. Mine was an 04, and the manual speced 5w-30 (stated as "preferred"), 10w-30, and 10w-40. Can you confirm that the preferred "all weather" grade for your 06 is actually 5w-40 and not 5w-30, as it has been for this engine for a long time?

My VQ35 clearly loved the GC, both subjectively and via UOA, and no, using a 0w-30 won't cause a problem, but let's make sure we're talking "apples to apples" before we go any further. 5w-40, if there, would signal a significant change from Nissan.
cheers.gif

Oh yeah, btw:
 -

Welcome! It seems the viscosity of oil has you confused. I'll let other more devoted typers explain it but yes GC is a great choice for a VQ engine. My fiance has a G35 Coupe and has been using Gold GC in it. My only complaint is it seems to reduce power just a little bit over 5W-30 dino oils but that's what happens with thicker, higher HTHS oils like GC. I'm thinking of changing to Syntec 10W-30, which is actually thinner than GC and has lower HTHS value, to see if a little more power results. I really like the new additive package of regular (non-GC) Syntec grades from what can be seen of them in UOAs.

quote:

Originally posted by SoCal350Z:
Until I am at temp, the oil running through my engine will be very thin (and against Nissan's recommendation). It's a new, solid engine, but is it really worth running such an unnecessarily thin oil just to get the notorius GC performance?

You seem a bit confused, read the "Is it "thin"? Come on, 0w-30 has to be watery." section of the GC FAQ found here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=000934

welcome.gif
to BITOG!

Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful response. I read over the "thin oil myth" thread and no longer have any doubts the 0W-30 will be just fine. Yes, I was confused.
pat.gif

ekpolk: I apologize. I made a mistake. The manual does indeed state 5W-30 and NOT 5W-40. So the engine has obviously seen little change since your '04 model.

Follow up question after reading some more: someone eluded to the idea of voiding one's warranty if using a non-recommended viscosity in your engine. Since this is what I will be doing (going against my manual by using a 0W-30 as opposed to 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40), will I really be voiding my warranty?

- Lukasz

NNA? What does that stand for?

I checked out the thread you linked to and didn't notice anything about voiding one's warranty.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Nissan North America (800-Nissan1). The least helpful customer service I've dealt with in the auto industry. My advise is not to take any chances with them. In my experience, they took the stand that I was trying to take advantage of Nissan when making a legitimate warranty claim, which they denied.

The link was meant as additional info regarding other oil weights allowed in Europe, which Paranoil confirmed.

Right on. Thanks ccs.

And sorry to hear about your bad experience with NNA. I haven't personally had to deal with them for service reasons- but at least they make great vehicles.

Thanks ekpolk and kcryan for reassuring me GC would be okay in our VQ35 engines. I actually went up to AutoZone during my lunch break and picked up 6 quarts (plenty of more there if anyone is in need of GC and in the San Diego area). For those interested, it looks like this batch was made on the 152nd day of 2006- pretty new stuff.

"M06152..."

... and the best part, it's GREEN!
gr_eek2.gif

Just joking. As expected, opening one of them up revealed a nice golden honey color.

quote:

Originally posted by SoCal350Z:
Follow up question after reading some more: someone eluded to the idea of voiding one's warranty if using a non-recommended viscosity in your engine. Since this is what I will be doing (going against my manual by using a 0W-30 as opposed to 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40), will I really be voiding my warranty?

- Lukasz

This whole thing about "voiding" of wtys is a myth. Of course, it happens to be one that the mfrs and dealers very much want you to believe. In the US, new car wtys are governed by the Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act (MMWA). Under the Act, if a car maker wants to deny a wty claim, and have it stick when taken to court, they have the burden to prove that something you (or a 3rd party) did was the cause of problem you're claiming under wty. You don't have to prove you got oil changes on certain intervals, or used a certain type or grade of oil (though certainly, following the recommendations is a good idea). They are not allowed to deny a wty claim as a "penalty" for not following recommendations.

Consider this example: you have a lapse in judgment, and put SAE 60 wt oil in your 5w-30 car, in the dead of a Wisconsin winter. Predictably the engine soon blows up. They will predictably deny your wty claim, because they could easily prove that you killed it. But your wty is NOT void. If your radio also failed at the same time, they'd still have to replace it, because obviously, they couldn't prove that the thick oil killed it.

Beware, however, the MMWA does not apply to most extended wtys. Consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction if you have a question about this.

IMO, if you use GC in a VQ at a reasonable interval, there's little chance that Nissan could ever prove that it caused your engine to fail.

There should be no debate about using one of the finest oils you can buy in a store for your car. Engines are designed to be used around the world with all types of conditions, owners, oils and lack of maintenance. That engine will last longer than you will keep the car even using basic dino oil let alone GC.

Several factors lining up at the same time. I was already driving too much, and I expect more after I "demobilize" and return to civilian life. At the moment, I'm averaging just below 35k per year; I expect over 40k from this fall on. The G was already drinking 1500 to 1700 gal of premium a year -- owww. Then I stumbled on a mint 04 Prius with only 15k miles and the Toyota Cert Used wty (my G's wty was almost up, fwiw). Since the tax credit is now gone on the hybrids, the used prices are down. The G was a solid, comfortable car, and in a lot of ways, I will miss it. I just decided that since I'll soon be back restarting my business, I wanted to take a proactive step to cut costs. Beyond fuel, the G does eat up soft brake pads (second set shot at 57k miles), V-rated tires (second set half gone), and so on. You get the idea I'm sure.

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
There should be no debate about using one of the finest oils you can buy in a store for your car. Engines are designed to be used around the world with all types of conditions, owners, oils and lack of maintenance. That engine will last longer than you will keep the car even using basic dino oil let alone GC.

Well, there is that troll over in the main forum who has succeeded in sparking a multi-page debate on just this topic. Members (I'm guilty too) just keep coming back to belabor the point. I'm sure that said troll is enjoying his success on that one. . .
rolleyes.gif

A little off topic. Doesn't the 06' Z have the newer higher revving motor? Maybe that explains the new 5w40 recommendation from Nissan.

the 06 z with the manual comes with the higher revving engine...but the OP said he double checked in his owners manual, and says he certainly made a mistake...

btw, I too have a vq35...in the form of a FWD Maxima....I have been using GC GREEN for the past 5 months and almost 5k miles...my gas mileage has not changed with the thicker GC...and the engine just idles smooth as butter...it could be in my head (since I officially haven't done a UOA)...but who cares...this oil is a few cents cheaper than most other synthetics out there...but have ranked amongst the highest...

Yeah Steven, like I said before, I did make a mistake. It is definitely 5W-30 and NOT 5W-40.

By the way, you mention using Green GC and you live in Cali. I'm in San Diego but have been able to find only Gold GC. Mind telling me where you get your stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back