320K mileage - recommendations?

Originally Posted by kschachn
I guess I was just looking at it from the perspective that Restore would actually do something for a worn-out engine (albeit temporary)

It will.

Some here instantly dismiss ANY additive as "snake oil" without any thought or research. Don't let them lump in good products with the junk. Rislone and Restore are both effective, safe, proven products. They do not claim to be magic in a bottle. They DO safely restore compression in very high mileage engines to near factory levels. Yours (300K+) would be a perfect candidate. I run one in my HM vehicles every other oil change.

almost time for HM oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by joshuawesl
I thought Restore was one of those "no-no" kinds of additives?

But Lucas is okay?

It's easy to see why an "engine restorer" would be approached with more caution than your run-of-the-mill oil additive, especially one with as big of a name as Lucas has. Not everyone is as well read as many on here.

OP- As others have said, no additive is needed. Just run the Supertech you were planning on and the filter of your choosing. I would recommend taking care of your cooling system though. Those engines are pretty stout, but their achilles heel is being overheated. I

Thank you, considering I'm a new member of the forum and this was my very first thread, i appreciate your statement.

I am actually doing a complete cooling system overhaul. Coolant flush and refill, new water pump, thermostat, hoses, new fan clutch, and installing a mechanical temp gauge.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Those early 4.7's had a propensity to be sludge motors if extended oil intervals and PCV was not maintained. If my vehicle, I would be popping a valve cover to just check for my own sanity. That being said, being at 320K miles say a lot there also. Hopefully it does not nickle and dime you to death.

Originally Posted by supton

Aren't 4.7's known for dropping valve seats? Or is that only if they overheat in the slightest?

That was the Hemi especially with MDS. They eventually changed the metallurgy and design of the seat.

Last edited:
I put this combo in lots of neglected engines and am never disappointed: Valvoline Maxlife and a Wix filter. In this case, 10w30 should be good.

After reading about Restore and AutoRX, I'm a little torn on what I should pour into my 320,000 mile Dodge 4.7.

A few days ago I dumped an entire can of Seafoam into the crankcase and let it run for about a minute. Then I went for a couple mile drive. Drained the oil (it was BLACK!), refilled and changed the filter with some cheap Rural King 10W-30 as a flusher.

Soon I'll be doing the actual change with SuperTech 10W-30 HM and adding Restore OR AutoRx. Just unsure which yet.

I feel like the engine is relatively healthy for it's age. I don't hear any odd noises other than an exhaust manifold gasket leaking. It starts, runs, and idles well, and doesn't smoke unless it's sat and idled for a bit, and revved up. Driving along it doesn't overheat or smoke.

The ONLY caveat is that I've been discovering some metallic debris on the magnetic drain plug, and there was some on the cam position sensor (also magnetic). The debris appeared silver/gray and goopy, kinda like silver anti-seize. Obviously something is wearing, but then again.. 320,000.

Just my opinion, but I'd get an oil analysis before I spent any more money on additives or the like.

Originally Posted by joshuawesl
After reading about Restore and AutoRX, I'm a little torn on what I should pour into my 320,000 mile Dodge 4.7.

A few days ago I dumped an entire can of Seafoam into the crankcase and let it run for about a minute. Then I went for a couple mile drive. Drained the oil (it was BLACK!), refilled and changed the filter with some cheap Rural King 10W-30 as a flusher.

Soon I'll be doing the actual change with SuperTech 10W-30 HM and adding Restore OR AutoRx. Just unsure which yet.

I feel like the engine is relatively healthy for it's age. I don't hear any odd noises other than an exhaust manifold gasket leaking. It starts, runs, and idles well, and doesn't smoke unless it's sat and idled for a bit, and revved up. Driving along it doesn't overheat or smoke.

The ONLY caveat is that I've been discovering some metallic debris on the magnetic drain plug, and there was some on the cam position sensor (also magnetic). The debris appeared silver/gray and goopy, kinda like silver anti-seize. Obviously something is wearing, but then again.. 320,000.

Not a good idea to use Oil Supplements / Cleaners with High Mileage oil, which already has a host of additives. That could explain why your magnetic plug is loading-up.

I use a supplement many times. Latest one is MoS2 in my Hyundai with Ultra Platinum. But I'm not mixing these cleaners with high mileage oil.

I think right now I'm just going to run this "flush" oil change (no additives, cheap Rural King 10W 30) and see how the drain plug looks after a few miles. I cleaned it off spotless, so I'll be able to tell if anything is on there again. I have a can of Restore, but haven't used it yet.

The debris wasn't even gritty. It was like a paste. Literally looked like a glob of silver anti-seize on it.

No additives, my fleet consists of many high mileage trucks (300k+) none have ever seen a bottle of additive in their oil and are still going strong. Granted these are work trucks not daily commute cars so choose your oil of choice and filter and forget about it.

I would want to "gently" clean a high mileage engine... Marvel Mystery Oil is great for that... replace one quart of oil with the MMO and run for 2,000 to 3,000 miles keeping a regular check on the oil level and topping with motor oil if needed... may need to do this a couple or three times depending on how it goes.

After an engine is clean, I prefer to just add a half quart of MMO for the last 500 or so miles of the oil change interval to help keep it clean... OR, if it's got leaks, then start using only a high mileage oil for 3,000 mile oil change intervals...

MMO is also good for the fuel system... 3 or 4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel.

Hope the tranny and differential hold out too...

Best of luck with it !

Back