303 makes plastics brittle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using 303 for about 8 years. I'm getting some cracks in my 1997 Chevy. All the trim aroundthe head liner is develpoing small cracks in some areas. Think this may be 303's fault? ANyone else have this problem and uses 303? Thanks!

Yeah, it may just be a stress point and after 15 years it cracked. May have nothing to do with the 303. Lots of other plastic trim is fine. It is a 1997 Tahoe by the way.

Ive seen many a cracked dash from just age and sun, regardless of upkeep. Without 303 imagine how it would look!

I don't mean to change the subject here, but where the heck do you buy aerospace 303? Local auto parts stores (O'Reily, Advance) don't seem to stock it at all, along with wal mart...

Just looking for an alternative to the bottle of F21 that I've had for too long...

Originally Posted By: Xstang
I don't mean to change the subject here, but where the heck do you buy aerospace 303? Local auto parts stores (O'Reily, Advance) don't seem to stock it at all, along with wal mart...

Just looking for an alternative to the bottle of F21 that I've had for too long...

I get mine at local hot tub shops. It is very popular with all the vinal around hot tubs.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I have been using 303 for about 8 years. I'm getting some cracks in my 1997 Chevy. All the trim aroundthe head liner is develpoing small cracks in some areas. Think this may be 303's fault? ANyone else have this problem and uses 303? Thanks!

I hope not as 303 was designed to protect plastic exposed to sunlight.

Last edited:
I bought mine at a boat/marine yard. Armor All and F21 seems to make trim dry rot,while 303 doesn`t,and 303 lasts MUCH longer.

Last edited:
How long have you guys been using 303? I put it on wet and leave it as I like the shine. I do not wipe it dry like the instructions say to.

Appreciate the advice guys! Know where to look now.

F21 is an interior/plastic detail/shine spray made by turtle wax that gives dashboards that wet, shiny look. IMHO it seems to do little to actually protect what you put it on, just make it look shiny etc. Comes in a $5 spray bottle. any auto parts store will have it. don't care much for it.

How long have you guys been using 303? I put it on wet and leave it as I like the shine. I do not wipe it dry like the instructions say to.

I usually apply in shade or away from direct sunlight to a clean surface(though 303 itself can clean, you are just wasting product since soap/water can do the cleaning job for most apps)...

Anyway, what I typically do for plastics, vinyl or rubbers is spray it on(try to control it from running everywhere or where I dont want it), and wait for 5 minutes. Then I wipe reasonably dry, not hard scrubbing though. Turns out nice and lasts through a couple rain storms, but not many so far from my limited experience. Nice thing to do for your car while cleaning it, anyway, and another product that can help clean before 303 and a restoring product after it, in combination would make 303 go longer, IMO. Not sure of the product I have in mind off hand at this hour.

FWIW.

That`s how I do it,apply the 303 to the desired areas,then I use an old t-shirt to wipe/buff off the wet excess. Like the poster above said,it lasts through several rainstorms,unlike Armor All/F21,etc which always turns white and dry rots the trim.

The old F21 was AWESOME! BUT,they changed the formula and now it`s total junk!

I've used it for 10 plus years and have not had a problem with it.

Steve

I use 303 as well. The irony of it, it looks like Armor All, smells like Armor All, and designed by the same person for formulated Armor All. Or so I was told. Don't mean to start something, but I have a bottle of Armor All and a bottle of 303 and (I know this doesn't mean anything) I see many similarities. I though about seeing if a lab would do an analysis.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I use 303 as well. The irony of it, it looks like Armor All, smells like Armor All, and designed by the same person for formulated Armor All. Or so I was told. Don't mean to start something, but I have a bottle of Armor All and a bottle of 303 and (I know this doesn't mean anything) I see many similarities. I though about seeing if a lab would do an analysis.

Very interesting!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hope not... Need to be able to protect plastic and rubber somehow...

I have never used any trim/rubber protectant and have never seen any cracks or excessive wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back