30,000mi oci (till the oil pressure light came on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by parshisa
Man, if it was 30k oil I'd pull a sample in a heart beat! I have a spare kit but i'm not sure how useful UOA Oon current fill would be for BITOG knowledge

True...

Funny thing is that he got a wrong size and we had to put the original hub back on till finds correct one lol

I know JAG chimed in already, but parshisa, there is a lot of good reading already on the board for you and/or your friend to help you out. Search JAG, SonOfJoe, MolaKule... they've said (and JAG has shown) none of the old wives' tales about normal engine oils (including HDEO) will do squat for getting rid of that varnish and accumulated sludge. So far, there has been only one oil with a chance to do this, and that is Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W30. If your friend isn't into buying $70/gallon oil in hopes of saving his engine, the only thing left is a strong solvent-based flush, like Kreen, or a slower flush like MMO.

But after 30k on one OCI and the mess you're describing, I'd do the Kreen quick purge (pull the plugs, dump an ounce of Kreen in each hole, and let it sit overnight), and dump a pint of the remaining Kreen in the sump, and the other 12 ounces in the tank. I can hear that engine saying "Save me Kreen-Kenobi, you're my only hope."
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Let him deal with it. No good deed goes unpunished.

^^^^^ This.

Unfortunately hes happy with or doesnt care about the engine oil like it is leave that be. Tell him that he will junk the engine if he hasnt already and that you know of ways to try to undo the damage but let him know the negative things that can happen first.

You could plug a passage then starve a lifter, valve guide or timing chain. You could also uplug a sludge coating that is preventing a leak so cleaning it could cause leaks or consumption of oil if the rings are crudded up.

If any of these things happen you could be blamed for bringing on the problems with your doctoring.

Most likely, he'll say no just leave it, its fine.

Frequent oil changes is about all I would suggest if its not my car.

Since he ran out of the oil prior to this fill i would imagine rings are shot already. Nevertheless, BITOG wisdom has got me. I think you are right: even though changing oil again won't make a difference (it has recently been changed anyways), but if something goes south right after i'll on the line of fire.

I've triednto explain to him that engine has likely suffered some damage and in his best interest is to get rid of it. Likely won't happen though

I didn't mean he completely ran out of it. The sump is 4.5qts and he was almost 3qts low

Originally Posted by parshisa
I didn't mean he completely ran out of it. The sump is 4.5qts and he was almost 3qts low

My error. I'm thinking of another thread. Oops.

That vehicle will be fine. Do you know why? Because your buddy could care less about checking his oil or doing any maintenance other than gas and go. If the vehicle belonged to you, someone who knows better, it would have burst into flames and exploded Hollywood style long ago.

Your actions and sentiments are noble and genuine, but it can not end favorably for you. Be careful and cautious!

Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
Idle the car for 30 minutes with type 4 synthetic transmission fluid....... it will get all kinds of nasties out

I doubt it greatly.... Type 4 ATF is....?
You mean Mopar ATF+4 ?

It isn't high detergent, either

Definitely use sae20 for flushing...thinner oil will at least lubricate better in these circumstances...

Plus flushing oils are thinner ones...
smile.gif

Use sae40/50 after the proper flushing will be done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back