3.6L Pentastar Camshaft Wear

Next time around, don't use a 5w20 and brand or its marketing means nothing. The grade debate battle has been going on for 20 years. It truly is laughable. Did you learn yet? Of course not! If you don't learn or adapt, with ALL your vehicles, then this will just continue.
{snip}
I tried putting this into Google translate but am no closer to understanding what you're trying to say?

Do you believe he should have used a heavier oil? Do you think PP was a poor choice?

Well, if you need google translate, then you can't be helped.
Brand is irrelevant. HTHS and additives are your friends.

• Love
Reactions: D60
or get a better quality engine....
Honda has the same problem unfortunately. It's not an engine quality problem, it's a materials (selection or production, take your pick) issue with the part. Billet cores would be preferable, but are more expensive. As @clinebarger noted, SADI is used due to cost, however, if done properly, it's reasonably durable, which brings us back to QC and production quality.

Toyota used cast cams on the Tundra 5.7L that had the issue with the cams snapping in half. I suspect they use SADI in a lot of applications.

GM I believe uses billets, Ford uses billet lobes, IIRC, pressed onto a machined hollow shaft.

Honda has the same problem unfortunately. It's not an engine quality problem, it's a materials (selection or production, take your pick) issue with the part. Billet cores would be preferable, but are more expensive. As @clinebarger noted, SADI is used due to cost, however, if done properly, it's reasonably durable, which brings us back to QC and production quality.

Toyota used cast cams on the Tundra 5.7L that had the issue with the cams snapping in half. I suspect they use SADI in a lot of applications.

GM I believe uses billets, Ford uses billet lobes, IIRC, pressed onto a machined hollow shaft.
Unfortunately it's an engine problem if in my engine.
It's a Chrysler problem regardless of the component suppliers chosen. Especially when the same component is implemented for years. Mentioning that Honda, GM or anyone else has the same issues doesn't make the pill easier to swallow. If my H/K ever gives up an engine as have MANY, I don't care where it was manufactured, assembled, they got the parts from... It says Hyundai on my contract.

All that being said. I'm brand biased too 😉. I hope, not to a fault.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's an engine problem if in my engine.
It's a Chrysler problem regardless of the component suppliers chosen. Especially when the same component is implemented for years. Mentioning that Honda, GM or anyone else has the same issues doesn't make the pill easier to swallow. If my H/K ever gives up an engine as have MANY, I don't care where it was manufactured, assembled, they got the parts from... It says Hyundai on my contract.
Note that I said it's not an engine quality problem (poor/flawed engineering/design) but a materials problem. That's not an excuse for it impacting this engine, but it's an important distinction in terms of addressability and scope of impact. A materials problem will often be intermittent and can be addressed, permanently, through updated parts, while a design issue, like VCM or GM's AFM lifters, generally can't/aren't without fundamental design changes.

In this case, it's a QC issue with the SADI cored cams, which are used by many manufacturers, some of which are also affected by this phenomenon. That's not a free pass to Chrysler, just an acknowledgement that this isn't confined to them. We've seen a lot of issues with offshored parts QC over the last decade or two, impacting multiple brands.

The person I was responding to has a tendency to single out and crap on FCA/Stellantis, which is why I pointed out that they aren't alone in being affected by this issue.

Note that I said it's not an engine quality problem (poor/flawed engineering/design) but a materials problem. That's not an excuse for it impacting this engine, but it's an important distinction in terms of addressability and scope of impact. A materials problem will often be intermittent and can be addressed, permanently, through updated parts, while a design issue, like VCM or GM's AFM lifters, generally can't/aren't without fundamental design changes.

In this case, it's a QC issue with the SADI cored cams, which are used by many manufacturers, some of which are also affected by this phenomenon. That's not a free pass to Chrysler, just an acknowledgement that this isn't confined to them. We've seen a lot of issues with offshored parts QC over the last decade or two, impacting multiple brands.

The person I was responding to has a tendency to single out and crap on FCA/Stellantis, which is why I pointed out that they aren't alone in being affected by this issue.
Ah, got it. Yes, that can get old within context. I wasn't aware of the back-story.

Having the same issue. It's under warranty but jeep wants to only replace cams lifters and rocker arms . With all the wear on the cams I'd like them to replace engine. What do yall think ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231010_135541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_135541_Gallery.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231010_135550_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_135550_Gallery.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231010_135646_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_135646_Gallery.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20231010_135703_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_135703_Gallery.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20231010_135724_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_135724_Gallery.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20231010_141042_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_141042_Photos.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20231010_141128_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_141128_Photos.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20231010_141145_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_141145_Photos.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231010_141208_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_141208_Photos.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231010_141332_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_141332_Photos.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 21
Having the same issue. It's under warranty but jeep wants to only replace cams lifters and rocker arms . With all the wear on the cams I'd like them to replace engine. What do yall think ?

Let them do the top end. If there is issue down the road they will likely do the engine. Top end is a routine repair. Much more cost effective for Stellantis than an engine. There’s technically nothing else wrong we or they know of on the rest of the engine.

The engine has rollers on the rockers and these rollers are not the same with as the cam lobe.
Here is a closeup of my camshaft. The lines look like wear but they are not. The shiny part is where the roller rides the cam. The less shiny part is the part that doesn't touch anything.
In pictures it may look like wear. But if they are smooth to the touch, these are fine.

CAM Shaft.png

Jeep is going to drop the oil pan to check for metal. I just didn't know what I was looking at. It's under warranty but mopar hasn't impressed me with there warranty service in the past. So was skeptical when I saw the cams. Appreciate your time

Back