3.6L Pentastar Camshaft Wear

Hello all,

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L with 128,000 miles that shows wear/discoloration spots on the tip of each cam lobe on the passenger side intake cam only. Should I replace this cam?

Int_CamFacingWear.jpg

Int_CamFacingWear2.jpg

Int_CamFacingWear3.jpg

Int_CamFacingWear4.jpg

Last edited:
Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron (SADI) Camshaft, It happens.

From my understanding & I could be wrong, SADI cams were developed to allow use a of a Iron Distributor Gear & just harden the Lobe Work Surfaces for Roller Lifters/Followers. With distributor drives being near extinct.....Cost cutting is the only reason to use SADI cam cores.

My opinion: Replace, and lifters also, especially if wear is at the lobe apex. I have seen "chocolate camshafts" like this fail suddenly and wipe out a top end.

Interesting addition clinebarger. Thank you, learned something new.

I would replace it if you're going to keep it-if it lets go, the metal will flood the engine & damage a lot more than just the top end. Pretty sad for a roller rocker application.

Is this a design flaw or are these cams meant to wear this way? I ask because that engine looks very clean.

seeing that , on a roller lifter cam application makes you wonder how valvetrains last back in the day without roller lifters

Use a better oil. Find one that protects the engine and sacrifices the o2/afr or catalytic instead.

There is a reason I run oils higher in: hths/ash/visc/z/p/s/ca/mo/b..... and with a more sensible oil change interval.

So, replace the parts and adapt to the failure.

If cost of replacement is excessive, start now with 0w40 hdeo/euro type oils, or if you want to step up in grade slowly, the 0w30 or 5w30 A3/B4 oils. Consider the same after the parts replacements and with the short OCI break-in change.

Better oil, better filter, better oil change interval.... are your friends.

Get a metal hardness gauge, measure HRC reading compared to other lobes, if it’s lower - time to change the camshaft

Use a better oil. Find one that protects the engine and sacrifices the o2/afr or catalytic instead.

There is a reason I run oils higher in: hths/ash/visc/z/p/s/ca/mo/b..... and with a more sensible oil change interval.

So, replace the parts and adapt to the failure.

If cost of replacement is excessive, start now with 0w40 hdeo/euro type oils, or if you want to step up in grade slowly, the 0w30 or 5w30 A3/B4 oils. Consider the same after the parts replacements and with the short OCI break-in change.

Better oil, better filter, better oil change interval.... are your friends.
or get a better quality engine....

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 on a 5000 mile change interval since the vehicle was new. Another thing I should note is that I found all 4 oil gallery plugs (2 in each head) loose! The dealership said they found loose plugs on the driver side bank at 85,000 miles, so they have loosened up again in 43,000 miles.

Last edited:
Ironically I have a 13 Wrangler in the shop for the exact same reason. I replaced the engine at approximately 130k miles and the replacement (new Chrysler) has about 140k on it now. Was in for chains and guides but found the same issue you did but worse. Unfortunately customer doesn't have the money for the repair

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 on a 5000 mile change interval since the vehicle was new. Another thing I should note is that I found all 4 oil gallery plugs (2 in each head) loose! The dealership said they found loose plugs on the driver side bank at 85,000 miles, so they have loosened up again in 43,000 miles.
Next time around, don't use a 5w20 and brand or its marketing means nothing. The grade debate battle has been going on for 20 years. It truly is laughable. Did you learn yet? Of course not! If you don't learn or adapt, with ALL your vehicles, then this will just continue.

LocTite those galley plugs. I just don't understand why an automaker can't build an engine, or address issues when they pop up. And, those plugs will just be loose again and again and again. The cams/lifters will wear again and again.

or get a better quality engine....

People buy whatever is on the new/used dealer lot and don't have a clue on the future problems. They definitely don't research until AFTER their out of warranty headache gets out of control. For some, the class action lawsuits are saving them.

These engineered failures will push you to 'controlled range' electric vehicles and 15 minute concrete jungle cities. Who wants the headache of lubed and fueled engines after numerous issues? Go electric 🤣

Back