2015 Pentastar 3.6L Timing Issue

Hello All,

I was working on replacing cam followers and lash adjusters on the driver side bank exhaust cam, and the timing chain guide wedge tool popped out when I accidentally bumped it. The chain guide released suddenly while I had the exhaust phaser removed from the vehicle, and the chain ended up jumping one tooth on the intake phaser.

I reinstalled the tool to move the chain guide back, and then repositioned my mark on the chain to align with the proper tooth on the intake phaser. I then reinstalled the exhaust phaser and oil control valve noting that my two marks on the chain correctly aligned with the correct tooth on each phaser.

I recall reading somewhere that the chain on the 3.6L is unable to jump a tooth on the idler sprocket with the timing cover installed, but not sure about that. Is there any way I can verify that the timing is still correct, and the chain didn't jump a tooth on the idler sprocket without having to remove the timing chain cover? How scr%w#d am I here?

Last edited:
Socket and ratchet on the crank pulley. Make 2 complete revolutions and see if your marks line up. Make sure the arrows or line on the phasers line up too.

Some guys just drop the chains while they do the job and never have a problem. Would take the advice and turn the engine a couple times and see if they line up. And hope your tensioner didn’t come apart either

Back