3.5 EcoBoost under valve covers/front cover

Disagree completely
You doubt but don't know.
So you are going to swear the quick lube places used the right weight of oil , proper approvals, quality oil filter..lol
Most of them don't even change your filter if they can get away with it. This oil isn't coal black yet. Keep it in there.
Hardcore quick lube customers usually mark their filters before the service. You know how many catch the scam. Many. While others don't care.
Plus the owner could have at least used a Ford dealer so he would have a trail. Sounds like he was part of the problem.

Who said the oil was API certified..lol
Your average quick lubes (and half the dealers) use the cheapest bulk & filters they can find (although Ford seems to stick to MC). I can pretty much guarantee the '11 Express 6.0 in my sig (ex-Hertz) hasn't seen Dexos 1 since the factory, which is likely the reason for my marginal oil pressure, it had seen a steady diet of (QS?) bulk at the Jiffy Lube and had been run out to OLM before I got it. VIOC seems somewhat more trustworthy, although they have broken things on me before. The quick lubes don't touch anything of mine, though, I'm wise to their games.

My son worked for a local Enterprise rental station. He said the vehicles were pretty much changed on time. None went way over the OLM. The cars went to a Firestone tire shop. ATT I believe they used Kendall which is pretty much Motorcraft oil. Now they use QS.

He did let on that lots of times the cars were obviously abused by the renters.

Hate to drag this thread OT, but you never know with ex-rentals. It's a car by car basis. If you're buying one, you really have to look it over. I tend to buy them w/ under ~24K miles and 1yr old. I like to be able to see if the wheels have ever been removed and I look over the interior and exterior as best I can.

My 2019 Ram 1500 classic I bought in July was an enterprise rental. It had 15K miles on it. Original tires/wheels brakes. Nothing had been touched best I could tell. Interior absolutely spotless. Some of the clear / white shipping plastic fragments still under the seats and floor mats. Some exterior chips and blemishes. No record of oil changes up to the point it went for sale. I did another oil change shortly after getting it.

The OPs expedition was probably purchased a year old w/ ~30K miles on it. It probably had 1 to 2 oil changes. I really doubt any varnish built up w/in one year with rental usage given that many miles in a short period of time, but you never know.

I always wipe off the mating surface for the oil seal on the filter. Depending on the location it can be gritty and one a few occasions I removed the old seal that way. Once had a a car come in for an oil leak where there was sand between the seal and the oil filter housing, causing the leak. 2 birds with one stone...
Same here, plus the obligatory oil on the new seal. I had always heard horror stories about these kinds of things but never saw one until then. I change the oil on my vehicles 90% of the time. But this van is very low to the ground so I only do it in the summer when I can more easily deal with it. But the happy ending is that the owner of the quick change immediately and 100% took responsibility and did the right thing. So the van still goes to him. Of course, no worries. It reminds him and his employees to do it particularly well because it makes his wallet vibrate when it pulls up! Lol! I'll always support folks who own their mistakes and are stand-up folks!

Years ago at my old job, we did maintenance for hertz. Alignments, oil changes, front end work etc. they did the BARE minimum for maintenance. Refused to pay for proper oil for VWs, everything got bulk 5w30 regardless of what the engine called for. They were also very long OCI for bulk oil.

They did fix front end issues that weren’t correctable by alignment, though. That required weeks of waiting for approval, though.

This is just my experience.
Enterprise also didn't what proper spec oil in the VW or gm Dexos. They were either ok with voiding the warranty or had some kind of agreement with the manufacturer that they would still get warranty without having to use proper spec oil.

I don’t believe the failures were related to the initial quality of the oil. I think they were related to fuel dilution and shearing. And a poor design to begin with.
The design is just fine, if managed well, and there are large number of owners with very high miles. But you are correct, fuel dilution is a problem, as is the long oil change interval and soot buildup. I change my Ecoboost's oil at the 5000 mile mark, and truth be told, that's probably 1000 miles too long. 5W-30 can also be a little on the thin side for chain life.

I know of a 3.5L Ecoboost with nearly 400,000 miles, yes on the original and unrepaired, engine and yes, with frequent oil changes, M1.

Last edited:
Chains that aren’t a mile long tend to hold up better. In engines that don’t fuel dilute as bad as these.

1612270778913.jpg

I've never understood the desire to have a complicated double overhead cam engine in a truck. A high revving sports car, yes. Nothing beats a simple push rod engine tuned for torque in the useable range. Compact, easy to maintain and durable. Ford seems to finally realize this with the release of their new 7.3 pushrod gas heavy duty truck engine (also port injected): https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/krbKN/s3/2020-ford-super-duty-7-3-gas-engine.jpg

Back