3,000 mile paranoia. Who has it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Americans are programmed to change our oil at 3,000 miles thanks to oil companies. However, as manufacturers recommend extended intervals, more car owners are listening to car manufacturers. Some folks get paranoid if the oil has already been used over 3,000 miles.

How many of you still have that paranoia?

Last edited:
Although I have been a member here at Bob's since '05 and had been lurking before that, I still get nervous sometime after the 3K mile area although I do go to ~ 5K miles OCI's.

40 years of 3K mile OCI's is still hard to break. And before that, I think we were doing 2K OCI's and 12K mile tuneups on our engines, LOL!

I have never changed oil at only 3,000 miles. I change at six months when under warranty, and up to one year when out of warranty, regardless of mileage. With my driving pattern that is usually between 5,000 and 8,000 miles per OCI. But then I have only used premium synthetics for 40 years.

Tom NJ

I've broken that habit so to speak! But not completely. Running a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or PP I can relax a bit. But I'm still on the "uptight" end of the spectrum. I'll run a dino to 4k....it's a start!
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Popinski
We Americans are programmed to change our oil at 3,000 miles thanks to oil companies.

Only those weak minded enough to believe that oil still needs to be changed that early. In the pre-1990 era it might have been reasonable advice. But it hasn't been relevant for 20+ years, and many of us knew that early on.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
How many of you still have that paranoia?

It's never been a "paranoia". At one time it was sound advice, but that time has long since past.

I do a 4k OCI on my RX, due to the fact it has the 1MZ-FE motor, which is extremely rough on oil. I know for a fact it doesn't have sludge, because I've pulled off the valve covers before, but I want to keep it that way by running synthetic with short OCI's.

I have gone 5-6K miles on conventional oil,and it came out dirty,thin,and with seemingly very little lubricity (on the fingers).Just for good measure,due to the short drives,and the harsh New England climate,I change out at 3K (when I can) With conventional.Synthetic I will go longer.

The owners manual for my 1970 Ford F100 says change the oil every 6 mo or 6000 miles! No mention of the 3k OCI way back then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I stopped that foolisness in 1978 when I went to 10K OCIs. Been doing that ever since.

You beat me by a few years..I stopped that foolishness back in 1985 when I got my 1985 5.0 Vic.

I put my trust in the engineers at Honda who say 5/10k miles depending on driving conditions. I went ~6200 miles on PYB, had an oil analysis done, and it was great. 100k on engine. Purrs like a kitten. Valve train is spotless. ALS has my next sample: Honda sm 0w-20 @ 7000 miles.

The paranoia is long gone. You need only go over to the UOA section and read some of the posts of high mileage engines sustained on long OCI to help dispel any lingering apprehension.

I like 3000 I know it can go longer but I like the idea of having clean oil in my engine. When I buy a newer car and only run mobil1 I'll go 7500 or so. But it'll take some adjusting to

Originally Posted By: k24a4
I put my trust in the engineers at Honda who say 5/10k miles depending on driving conditions. I went ~6200 miles on PYB, had an oil analysis done, and it was great. 100k on engine. Purrs like a kitten. Valve train is spotless. ALS has my next sample: Honda sm 0w-20 @ 7000 miles.

The paranoia is long gone. You need only go over to the UOA section and read some of the posts of high mileage engines sustained on long OCI to help dispel any lingering apprehension.

We went 354K on a 91 Ranger doing 10-14K OCIs and when the truck was sold the engine still ran great. Now the body was another thing.

I broke that habit a while ago. Both cars now have oil life monitors, and I change the oil when those systems tell me to change the oil. It's between 8-10k miles for both cars. Analysis has shown that they're doing fine running synthetics and changing by the oil life monitor, so I'm going to keep heeding the computer's advice!

Originally Posted By: Donald
What are people going to do when there is no more oil cause we wasted it changing it at 3000 miles?
Be sure to return your used oil to someplace that uses Safety-Kleen so that we can get more NextGen FAR!!

I have to admit I'm a recent, tentative convert. As can be seen below, all my vehicles have been switched to synthetics. I've done a couple of UOAs, one on the infamous Mazda 2.3L turbo DISI and another on the controversial Honda VCM V6. The Mazda is a proven fuel diluter. PP after 3300 miles had 2.8% but 5+ TBN left (and very low wear metals). How far do I push OCs when I know there is dilution? I'm not sure I want to discover what is too far.

The Honda has an MM and I obeyed the dealer and the manual leaving the FF in for 6300 miles, against my better instincts. The oil had 2.0 TBN when I changed it but 250+ppm Cu. How can it be good for any engine to have all those metallic wear particles circulating?

It seems to me that one does no harm EVER changing early but that harm can certainly be done by not changing soon enough. If I had engines known to be easy on oil (like I hope the Toyota will be), I can get comfortable with their 10,000 mile OCI. Will the FF stay in that long? Not after seeing that Honda UOA at 6300.

The well used Mopar V6s? I have no problem putting M1 in there and seeing them in a year.

I always just change mine around every 3 months or so. I don`t even keep up with the mileage. I work close to my house,so I have a lot of short city trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back