2x 5k mile Honda filter - 2014 Odyssey

JHZR2

Staff member
Not much to see. I cut these open primarily so I can recycle the steel parts.

IMG_5037.jpeg
IMG_5038.jpeg

@JHZR2 since you use these Honda filters, I assume you are happy with them. I have switched from the Fram XG and M1 filters to the Honda versions, due in part from @The Critic recommendation.

I do 5K OCIs and 10K on the filter. Your thoughts? Thx in advance. I am just another OCD oil change nut.

@JHZR2 since you use these Honda filters, I assume you are happy with them. I have switched from the Fram XG and M1 filters to the Honda versions, due in part from @The Critic recommendation.

I do 5K OCIs and 10K on the filter. Your thoughts? Thx in advance. I am just another OCD oil change nut.
We have an odyssey and accord hybrid. The odyssey goes 5k oci per the computer, the accord about 14k.

The use cases are different. And for the hybrid, I do have concerns about start stop and max flow.

Generally I’ve been running a FU or similar for two 5k OCIs on the odyssey to save time on the filter change.

Since the accord interval is so long, I change it every oci. Since Honda has approved their filters for 15k total use since the 90s, I run it. I think the oe filters filter worse but flow better, so for the hybrid the start stop is a concern so I’m looking for flow over filtration.

I had a deal and a bunch of filters so I had used this twice on the odyssey. I ran the wix platinum on the accord because I think it has similar efficiency and flow numbers. But these were a bit of an anomaly.

In the future I might change again and go synthetic FU or similar for the 14k oci. Not sure it matters much in the big picture.

I run it. I think the oe filters filter worse but flow better
As long as any increased dP across the filter doesn't put the pump in relief (highly unlikely unless the filter is nearly 100% clogged), there's no added flow volume getting to the engine from a slightly less restrictive oil filter. And as long as the filter's bypass valve is set to match it's flow vs dP performance curve by the designer, there should be no worries about a few more PSI of "flow restriction" dP.

As long as any increased dP across the filter doesn't put the pump in relief (highly unlikely unless the filter is nearly 100% clogged), there's no added flow volume getting to the engine from a slightly less restrictive oil filter. And as long as the filter's bypass valve is set to match it's flow vs dP performance curve by the designer, there should be no worries about a few more PSI of "flow restriction" dP.
I don’t know that when it’s cold and the oil is thick, and the engine goes on and off and doesn’t warm up well… that something isn’t going into relief…

I don’t know that when it’s cold and the oil is thick, and the engine goes on and off and doesn’t warm up well… that something isn’t going into relief…
No more than every car in the Great White North in the winter time. ;) Use a 0W-xx oil and that will help some.

No more than every car in the Great White North in the winter time. ;) Use a 0W-xx oil and that will help some.
I’d agree except that the hybrids randomly start and stop the engine. I have no evidence that hybrids in frigid locations are truly optimized for wear. But that’s just me.

The car is specified for, and runs 0w-20 synthetic.

Last edited:
Too add ... nobody knows that a specific filter's flow vs dP curve is without testing it. Any well know filter brand is going to "flow well" (meaning an acceptable flow vs dP curve) to meet OEM specs. We've seen quite a few actual flow vs dP curves, and the difference in dP between them all is minor - like a couple of PSI at normal use flow rates. And the difference in dP is even more so at low RPM use - meaning low pump output volume. If you're not racing and redlining the engine when the oil is cold, you have nothing to worry about regardless of what oil filter is used.

Back