2WD Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Many races only allow 2WD or have divisions for 2WD. This means that the driver must rely on more clever maneuvering, weight transfer, momentum, and speed to not get stuck.

Also, it is simply cheaper.

2WD is also lighter, and you can often get more front wheel travel with 2WD. Since most of these trucks and buggies use IFS, or independent front suspension, there's only so much travel you can get out of that design when you have a drive shaft to accomodate (drive shaft joints have only so much flexibility).

Also, 99% of the purchasers of these trucks never use them off road and just like the taller stance they have.

I believe it was Mark A. Smith, the father of off-road rock crawling and master of the Rubicon Trail, who said that the only benefit of 4WD over 2WD is that it gets you another 50 yards down the trail before you get stuck.

The solution for a two wheel drive is a locker in the diff. they will go anywhere a 4X will go,based on a stock to stock comparison, mods on either throws all comparing out the window.

Just my preference, but I will never buy a 2WD truck. Always 4x4 for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
The solution for a two wheel drive is a locker in the diff. they will go anywhere a 4X will go,based on a stock to stock comparison, mods on either throws all comparing out the window.
Nope. I will put my stock 4x4 truck up against a locked 2wd truck any time. I guarantee that my 4x4 will go up loose rocky hills that the 2wd wont.

Yea I would agree 4WD is the way to go, but 2WD with an locker will go pretty far alot farther than you think, I have lockers on my truck and before I put it into 4WD I use 2WD to see how far I go. I will say that 2WD with lockers is not going to get you through thick mud or up a steep incline.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

Been there, done that, and you can keep the 2wd with the locker, thanks.

Will it likely get the job done? Sure, I survived driving a 2wd truck in the snow for years and years. Was it nearly as easy as it is with 4wd? No.

Good tires and a locker will trump 4WD any day. My 02 BMW 325 with snow tires can go almost anywhere my 08 Tundra 4WD work truck can go. No, I can't hop medians in the BMW like I can in the Toy, but let's be realistic.

And the car can turn, stop, and maneuver in ways the Tundra can't even dream about. My odds of AVOIDING an accident with the BMW are much better.

My point is that a good driver with 2WD is going to be much better off than a dumb driver with 4WD.

If you really feel like you MUST have 4WD and you're not a rancher, farmer, or live where there is no road, then you're covering up for your own lack of skill.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: LOLVO
I regret buying a 2wd truck. It's useless in the snow.

Truth.

I've owned two 2WD trucks. With good tires and some weight in the bed, I never had problems.

Sometimes I love my 4x4. The only time it gets engaged is during freezes and the little snow we get. I guess its a sense of security. If we get another harsh winter I may try driving with it off. I do add sand bags and have a good set of tires. If there is very little difference my next truck will be two wheel drive.

While I've always managed to get around with 2WD, a stick, and posi rear, I like 4 WD better. Flip it into 4WD and it just about eliminates the need for rocking or having to occasionally dig around the rear wheels to get out of deep snow.

My 2wd Frontier did fine with all the snow/ice we had here in DFW the last few weeks. Granted it wasn't "North East" snow, but it was pretty bad.

No weight in the bed other than what mother nature put in with the snow and ice. Without the traction control and the active brake limited slip, I wouldn't have been able to move, but with those I was fine. I made it to work everyday, passed by tons of 2wd pickups and fwd cars with open diffs that couldn't get going.

Overall, I was very impressed. I was really worried about buying a 2wd truck with an open diff and relying on electronics to give me traction, but it did work great!

We don't have to worry about snow, but rather sand here. And tire choice and pressure means much more than 4wd does.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster

My point is that a good driver with 2WD is going to be much better off than a dumb driver with 4WD.

I agree 100%. But a good driver in a 4x4 with open diffs will be able to go more places than a good driver with a 2wd and locked axle will.

I've had a 4x4 jeep and a 4x2 jeep. I always used the mantra, "in on 2, out on 4" because getting stuck in 2wd allowed me the wiggle room to pull out on 4. get stuck in 4x4, and you're stuck. That said, it taught me that most reasonable excursion and "play" can be had in 2wd. and if you're good at picking a line, 2wd is fine. there's just less margin for error. 4x4 allows the driver more confidence that they can pull out if they have to.

I go back and forth. I liked 4 wheel drive. Especially going to work up a hill in snow, ice, I didn't have to work it as much. 4x4 was *convenient*. But, we've city-crippling ice/snow several days this season, and my little 4x2 got me where I needed to go with only a little body english required. Granted, it's got new ATs on it which helped a BUNCH over the stock rubber, but definitely worked ok without extra weight in the rear, etc..

There ARE places that require 4x4. construction sites come to mind. Real work trucks that do heavy construction need it. But if you also look at how many electricians, plumbers, etc. drive 2wd trucks and vans, clearly folks are smart enough to handle their vehicle's limitations and still get 'er done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back