2AZ-FE - What is the best oil option?

Have a 15 xB w/52k… knock on wood it doesn’t burn a drop. Running M1EP currently.

Yours is one of those that I was talking about. Supposedly Toyota addressed the ring issue in the 2010/2011 year model, but I still hear a lot of later model vehicles still having the issue.
Also seems it tends to start in the 40,000 to 60,000 range and get worse from there.

Like I said, @ just over 60,000 miles, mine uses maybe 1/2 qt in 5,000 miles (started noticing it around 40,000 miles), and I am keeping an eye on it.

Just looked up what oils I have used in it since new:
  • Toyota conventional 5w-20 (x4)
  • Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 (x2)
  • Auto Zone Synthetic 0w-20
  • Quaker State Synthetic 0w-20 (x2)
  • Quaker State Synthetic 5w-20
  • Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20
  • Castrol Magnatec 0w-20
All changes have been ~every 5,000 miles, and from 4-12 months in time.

I keep hoping that by using synthetic it will help prevent issues, but no idea.
I am going to continue to use up my stash of 0w-20 in this vehicle (Mobil 1 AFE for 1 change, then 3 changes with Pennzoil Platinum HM).
Then I will move to 5w-20 in the stash (if I have any left), then 5w-30.
Why, just because. I have another 24,000 miles of 0w-20 use, and at 5,000 miles every 8-9 months, I have a few years before I need to think about it.
It seems that you're doing pretty well with that. You certainly won't need to do any oil shopping for that vehicle for some time.

The idea that Toyota/Scion fixed the piston oil hole problems by 2011 is likely related to the Camry getting the new engine about 2011. Other models that used the 2AZ-FE had dropped it before the Camry. ( RAV-4, etc.) The Scion XB used the same troubled engine to end of that model in 2015. All Scion XB2's are included in the Toyota warranty enhancement for piston replacement. If you flunk their sealed engine 1000-1100 mile oil consumption test. 10 years or 100,000 miles from first in use date of the car.

It seems that you're doing pretty well with that. You certainly won't need to do any oil shopping for that vehicle for some time.

The idea that Toyota/Scion fixed the piston oil hole problems by 2011 is likely related to the Camry getting the new engine about 2011. Other models that used the 2AZ-FE had dropped it before the Camry. ( RAV-4, etc.) The Scion XB used the same troubled engine to end of that model in 2015. All Scion XB2's are included in the Toyota warranty enhancement for piston replacement. If you flunk their sealed engine 1000-1100 mile oil consumption test. 10 years or 100,000 miles from first in use date of the car.
Yeah, I am at 8.5 years now, and 61,000 miles. It will be at maybe 70,000 miles at the 10 year mark.
Which sucks because it is not a time issue, it is a mileage issue.
But hey, people tout Toyota reliability, and this is my first Toyota product, seems I just happen to get one with a problem engine that hopefully does not have an issue.

Right, okay I see. Well I don't really care about brands when it comes to "quality", I mostly look to approvals, specifications and licenses. So I guess using that logic any brand that carries the license or approval which addresses the specific problem that was asked about is a quality oil as opposed to an oil that does not have that license or approval.

If I was stuck on brands that would make it hard to take advantage of sales and rebates :)

I understand completely what you are saying... And that makes sense to me.

I am not brand loyal either.... I'm like you in that I like quality and approvals and licenses more than name on a container.

And I like sales too.... Or at least not $35+ for 5 qts of oil...

Having said that....

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 has Porsche C30 and MB 229.5.... Quite a good oil that can be on sale at Napa for $5.50 a quart. Not too shabby.

Not all too many 5w30s carry Porsche C30 and MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01....

Honestly, I have ran M1 0W-40 in our Toyotas for years without issues and would recommend that if you listed it. However, I would recommend M1 0W-30 in your list of oils. Gas mileage will drop a touch with a slightly thicker grade, but at 180K there are gonna be other factors that play a larger role.

Honestly, I have ran M1 0W-40 in our Toyotas for years without issues and would recommend that if you listed it. However, I would recommend M1 0W-30 in your list of oils. Gas mileage will drop a touch with a slightly thicker grade, but at 180K there are gonna be other factors that play a larger role.
Mine has 182k on it and consumption issues. 0w40 and 0w30 don’t help. Rings are the problem

I’ve tried every oil from 0w20 to 20w50 and M1 HM 10w40. None have helped my consumption. Bought my 09’ Camry LE with 100k on it, around the 120k mark is when consumption started. Sooner or later it will ruin the catalytic converter also if it’s burning oil.
Drive it hard, that was my last ditch effort for my lexus and it worked.

There aren't enough flow thru holes from the oil control groove into the inside of the piston. So any oil from that list should be ok, but when it gets cool or cold outside and the car is 1000 - 1500 miles from an oil change, replace one quart of oil with a slow acting engine flush. Marvel Mystery Oil, Kreen, AutoRx, etc. It should help dissolve the varnish/ carbon that's sticks the rings in one position. A handful of wide open throttle tuneups up to fast highway speeds on warmed up oil will help too. You may have to keep repeating the procedure every year or every other year and check the oil level every other gas fill up, but it'll beat the consumption/ fouled CAT alternative.

I guess you chose an oil by now. Both Toyota and Honda are recommending 0W20 oil now for k24 engines for Honda and 2AZ-FE engines in Toyotas.

5W20 is compatible and 5W30 is acceptable but Toyota will probably recommend 0W20 or 5W20 (if you don't have the choice for 0W20).

These webpages might help:

I bought an 09 Camry with 226k miles on it. The CarFax showed an oil consumption test on it done around 100,000 miles ago, and the previous owner states that Toyota did the repair to fix the consumption problem. The CarFax does not state anything about the piston change.

I need to call the Toyota dealer to confirm this, but so far, 1500 miles into my ownership, I have not used a drop of the oil that was in it when I bought it.

My first oil change will be to Valvoline Synthetic 0w-20, as I have it on my shelf. I also have Valvoline High Mileage 5w-30 on the shelf and could use that if I do end up burning any oil before I do the change at 230k miles.

This car was so well maintained that I took the previous owners word. They took it to Toyota for every little issue, and it shows in the quality of his car at 226k miles.

Newly acquired 2AZ-FE. 180K miles on the clock. No clue if it was fixed by Toyota or not, all I know is it was in for a consumption test (don't even know the results, just know the test was performed - these were Toyota's words). I know these have bad rings and are notorious for burning oil like crazy. I plan to change the PCV valve immediately as a precaution. I'm debating what oil would be the most beneficial. I know that no oil will fix bad rings, just looking to choose the best option under the circumstances. Note that this will be slightly short-tripped (6 miles 1-way) in-town most of it's life and the owner can't drink yet & has a lead foot. I'm just looking for the best of the following answers, as these are the oils I already have plenty of on hand for pennies on the dollar:

A. Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-20
B. Mobil Super Synthetic 10W-30
C. Mobil 1 HM 5W-20
D. Mobil Super HM (blend) 10W-30
E. RGT 5W-20
F. RGT 5W-30
G. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30
H. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-20
I. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 0W-20

I guess my two key questions are...
1. Will the cat be better off with synthetic over a blend? My guess is whichever burns less, which both should be about the same...
2. Will a XW-30 help or hinder the specific issue with the 2AZ-FE versus a XW-20? More specifically, will a lower viscosity help the oil problem or the other way around?

My initial thoughts are to use D, because it's the cheapest/most plentiful oil I have, I think a XW-30 may help consumption, and ultimately it's going to burn no matter what...
That's a great engine known for its longevity. I would suggest 5w30 valvoline max life high mileage. A lot of good reports with it.

OK so you're telling me no valvoline then?

Well... you've talked me into it. I'll only use what you use even though you never state. I assure you though that thats what I'll use. Furthermore!! Until I find out, I'll refrain from driving anymore for the safety efficiency and longevity of all our combustion powered motor vehicles!
How about you just grow up?

Your personal criticism makes no sense.

Back