258,026 miles and......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check those firewall seams while the engine is out. Those seams in the cowl and around the steering rack mountings is a common point of water leaks and eventually firewall rot on '92-'98 N bodies, and way easier to reseal with the engine and rack out of the way.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Interesting. I've never experienced any unusual exhaust gas smell issue on catless fuel injected vehicles.

I bought a car once that had the cat gutted; it was completely empty. Friends would complain of the smell when following me. Since I was installing a new Borla exhaust anyway, I sprung for the $100 Catco cat. Once I had the old system removed I discovered the patch on the top of the old cat where it had been cut open and gutted, then re-welded.

I do however wish I'd taken a ride behind my car with the empty car, so I'd know how bad the smell was.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Check those firewall seams while the engine is out. Those seams in the cowl and around the steering rack mountings is a common point of water leaks and eventually firewall rot on '92-'98 N bodies, and way easier to reseal with the engine and rack out of the way.

moklock, I do believe I owe you! The wife has been noticing her passenger side foot well getting and staying wet for no apparent reason. I'll have to look at the areas you pointed out and address any problems. THANK YOU!

While some think the smell is bad, to me, it's a reminder of my childhood when no cars had cats.

It's the smell of my youth
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
While some think the smell is bad, to me, it's a reminder of my childhood when no cars had cats.

It's the smell of my youth
smile.gif

I agree, it smells like cars use to.

I deleted the cat when they go bad. I don't have emissions testing where I live, and I don't throw money out the window either,
smile.gif

Lock me up, and throw away the key, I'm a real menace to society.
crazy.gif

When the cat went bad and mostly gutted itself on the Jeep before I re-did the exhaust, it definitely had a bit of exhaust smell from it. New exhaust with a fresh cat solved that completely (once it warms up).

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: moklock

moklock, I do believe I owe you! The wife has been noticing her passenger side foot well getting and staying wet for no apparent reason. I'll have to look at the areas you pointed out and address any problems. THANK YOU!

Yeah I had an Achieva that was a clean, rust free Florida car. Except the firewall unfortunately. Was a pain to repair and stop the leakage with the engine bay all intact.

If you have to clear the drains or reseal the seam in the wiper cowl area as well, also run a bead of black RTV on the cowl vent where it seats against the windshield before re-installing, works much better at keeping foreign debris out of there than the tiny ribbon of foam tape used from the factory.

Okay, so it's time for an update:

Been busy the last couple of days between working full time and fixing the wife's car.

Here the new engine is hanging and ready to enter it's (hopefully) final resting place.
IMG_0877.jpg

On her way in, stopping to inspect for interference issues and also for a meeting with the Captain...
IMG_08791296x972.jpg

IMG_0889855x642.jpg

Here she is, sitting in her new home:
IMG_08821296x972.jpg

IMG_08811296x972.jpg

IMG_08801296x972.jpg

And finally a short clip of it running. I still haven't' gotten the exhaust fixed up yet, as I am waiting on flanges. I got impatient and cranked it up with open manifolds...

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
looks good and clean! any sludge when you replaced the img?

Yes, some....
2010-03-191637091296x972.jpg

The engine came from a customer who couldn't afford to have the IMG replaced. I bought the car off of him and slowly went through it. New rings, bearings and had the heads re-built. Luckily the engine wasn't damaged, in spite of having 9qts of coolant and oil in the crankcase (instead of 4.25qts). While I did cut a few corners, I'm pretty confident it'll last as long as or outlast the car.

Some Turkey day updates... Nothing better to do as the considerably better half is 1800 miles away in Portland Oregon (I'm jealous) and she'll need her car sooner than later.

I got the rest of the exhaust parts as well as a vacuum hose harness. I installed the harness and the A/C receiver dryer, then moved on the exhaust. As you'll see in the following pictures, I did decide to remove the converter. So far I'm pleased with the results and I think the wife will be too.

No doubt in part to the new engine, the interior noise is actually lower than before. The volume of the exhaust outside of the car did increase, but I actually feel it's an improvement. The tone has changed to an almost raspy sound.

Starting with a pile of parts...
IMG_0891.jpg

A side view of the resonator's badly deteriorated flange.
IMG_0892.jpg

After I cut the old flange off, I test fitted the new one. While the right size for the replacement pipe for the converter, obviously it's too big for the resonator.. The gap you're seeing here is an 1/8+" all the way around.
IMG_0894.jpg

Due to it being a holiday and all that, some creative thinking is needed... I cut a short section of the new pipe and made a reducing bushing of sorts...
IMG_0897.jpg

Skipping ahead a few steps, here it is with the new "converter" test fit in place. When I cut the old converter off, I did it with a reciprocating saw, so the cut was a bit crooked. This was solved by making a sleeve with some more exhaust pipe. Again, being Thanksgiving and not having access to different sizes of pipe, I cut a slit in the sleeve length ways and opened it up, then added a "patch" to close the slot that was opened up.

IMG_08981296x972.jpg

So now I've got 15 miles on the car with the new engine. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and get the A/C charged up so the better half stays properly defrosted in the winter and sufficiently cool in the summer. I'll continue to drive it around to validate the rebuild before I turn it over to her - shouldn't be a big deal as I don't anticipate any issues. As of my last inspection, there has been no leaks of any kind and it's running pretty good.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So can you find some leaded gas to run in it now?
And a motor oil made primarily of ZDDP
cool.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
And a motor oil made primarily of ZDDP
cool.gif
laugh.gif

Well, I've got an airport and a farm store close at hand, so I could tank up with 100 octane Low Lead and some diesel oil...

I'm not sure I would have put THAT much work into a 16-year old GM front driver....but, nice job!

Question - you went to the work of re-building the engine you swapped in b/c it blew the IM gasket - why did you not opt to just replace the HG's on the engine that came out of the car?

Or, if the blowing of the HG's in the original engine wrecked the engine, why not re-build it...I just don't understand why the other engine had to come into the picture?

You went and looked at this 2K car?
Good cars of any age run more than 2K.
The posting is also deleted.
Wonder why?
In the biz, "cherry" has a very specific meaning.
A low-miles car that looks close to new is "cherry".
A 150K car in decent shape is just a used car that may be no better than the OP's Grand Am.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm not sure I would have put THAT much work into a 16-year old GM front driver....but, nice job!

Question - you went to the work of re-building the engine you swapped in b/c it blew the IM gasket - why did you not opt to just replace the HG's on the engine that came out of the car?

Or, if the blowing of the HG's in the original engine wrecked the engine, why not re-build it...I just don't understand why the other engine had to come into the picture?

That's a good question. The reason behind it is mostly for time/convenience. Initially we had three cars. Well, her youngest "bought" our backup car, then turned around and totaled it. So now we're left with a car a piece and both with a full time job. I bought the parts car not only for the engine, but for other little odds and ends and the reason I rebuilt that engine was due to the snowball effect. Originally I had no intention of it. So here I am with a sorta rebuilt engine, but no time to install it. Now, obviously is a good time.

As to why I didn't just do a head gasket job or rebuild the existing engine? Well, you know of the common GM piston slap issue? This engine had piston slap on steroids... And not just cold either. It was also leaking coolant at the timing cover and oil in several spots. To remedy all of it's issues would have required more time and money than I could cover in the relatively short amount of time she would be gone. Doing it the way I elected to may have cost more, but due to the time factor, I could afford it by spreading it out.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You went and looked at this 2K car?
Good cars of any age run more than 2K.
The posting is also deleted.
Wonder why?
In the biz, "cherry" has a very specific meaning.
A low-miles car that looks close to new is "cherry".
A 150K car in decent shape is just a used car that may be no better than the OP's Grand Am.

Correct. Really, it'd be hard to find a car that's in as good of shape as the better half's car in our price range. She takes very good care of it. Yes, it's a 16yr old front driver, but it's paid for and she's happy with it. Also we honestly couldn't afford 2k cash outlay. We are not well to due or even close. Our bills are paid every month, but we don't had much left over. She has her retirement, but it's a no touch deal. So doing what we did made the most sense to us at the time.

And since I'm typing, I'd like to take a moment to recognize the efforts of my (considerably) better half. Bless her heart, she's not afraid to jump in and get dirty. She's helped me off and on throughout the build; She helps me lug things around the garage, clean stuff up and even helped on the engine assembly. She was even there when I wanted to completely disassemble the lifters and get the varnish and mayonnaise out of them. Lots of tedious scrubbing and assembly. Thank you bunny....

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Thank you bunny....

Where can I find myself a wife like that? The icing on the cake is that she lets you call her "bunny"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back