258,026 miles and......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Thank you bunny....

Where can I find myself a wife like that? The icing on the cake is that she lets you call her "bunny"

Actually we have several "pet" names for each other. Bunny is just one of many I have for her.

As an update:

I have 200 miles on the car so far and it has run perfectly. The only issues that I have experienced are a failed alternator bearing (probably failed earlier but couldn't hear it due to the old engine's noise), which was warrantied at O'Reilly and the P/S pump reservoir is leaking at the seem. For being a re-man'ed unit, I expected more from it. I am not looking forward to changing it because this one is hidden behind the motor mount... I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Update:

I (we) have a bit over 500 miles on it so far and I'm ready to turn it over to the better half. It's running very smooth and quiet (for a GM 3.1) with no CELs.

The alternator that replaced the old unit turned up bad right away, making funny chattering noises and flashing the battery and air bag lights at me and spiking voltage (indicated by really bright headlights). I couldn't totally discount an external issue, but due to the chattering noise, I returned it for another. The flashing lights went away for some time but eventually returned. They didn't seem to center on any one specific condition, so I replaced the pigtail on the back of the alternator, knowing that it's getting loose and so for everything is peachy.

The power steering pump swap went well and the replacement isn't leaking.

I've torn into the old engine and will post up some pics in a bit. The head gasket is definitely toast, but the bores still show cross hatch and the engine looks reasonably clean for for running parts store labeled oil for the majority the 170k miles she's owned it.

Also, because this is indeed BITOG, the current fill is Castrol (WB) 5w-30 (on sale) and a Wix 51040. I dumped the QSGB 5w-30 at 200 miles. This fill will stay for around 2k miles. I figure after that I'll move on to M1 0 or 5w-30...

i just read this whole thread. Thumbs up to you for a job well done and keeping a older girl on the road ! Im not quite at your ability level anymore (motor swaps) i sold my hoist and lost alot of my motivation for turning wrenches from 20 years ago. Dont get me wrong i still do plenty of maintence.. i just save the big jobs for the shops. You sir done a fine job. and now you have yet another motor you can rebuild. (sell it or store it)

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
i just read this whole thread. Thumbs up to you for a job well done and keeping a older girl on the road ! Im not quite at your ability level anymore (motor swaps) i sold my hoist and lost alot of my motivation for turning wrenches from 20 years ago. Dont get me wrong i still do plenty of maintence.. i just save the big jobs for the shops. You sir done a fine job. and now you have yet another motor you can rebuild. (sell it or store it)

Thanks for the kudos man!

Just today I negotiated on a 1998 Malibu with a toasted 2.4 engine, otherwise it's in decent shape.

I think this will end up a better car for us than the Grand Am (better handling, brakes and engine management).

I'll take my time and go though it like I did the 3.1 and put it back on the road for my wife.

For $250.00, why not?

Eric: You are my hero....reminds me of my youth and all the fun I had with my buddies hoisting motors and drinking beers back in the day when I had the time to do it. Great job resurrecting that car.

Just today I negotiated on a 1998 Malibu with a toasted 2.4 engine, otherwise it's in decent shape.

I think this will end up a better car for us than the Grand Am (better handling, brakes and engine management).

I'll take my time and go though it like I did the 3.1 and put it back on the road for my wife.

For $250.00, why not?

Now go rebuild the one with the blown HG. Steam clean it and paint it real nice and sell it for $500-750 on CL.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Eric: You are my hero....reminds me of my youth and all the fun I had with my buddies hoisting motors and drinking beers back in the day when I had the time to do it. Great job resurrecting that car.

Originally Posted By: Doog

For $250.00, why not?

Now go rebuild the one with the blown HG. Steam clean it and paint it real nice and sell it for $500-750 on CL.

Yeah, I've had lots of fun through the years doing just that... Albeit with mixed drinks.

Unfortunately the old 3.1 is long gone down the road. I figured (hoped) that I wouldn't need it for the Grand Am and I wouldn't have been able to go through it for a reasonable amount and still be able to sell it. I could have just slapped it back together with new rings, bearings and gaskets but that wouldn't have fixed the piston slap and it wouldn't have been anything I would have wanted to be associated with had I sold it. No, it went to fellow who was down on his luck. He took it and some other scrap metal to the junk yard for me and kept the proceeds.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Is it illegal in every state?

Indeed it is, its a federal requirement. Not every county/jurisdiction inspection system CHECKS for it. But the law says that it has to be there and be intact.

Its been nearly 30 years since catalytic convertors actually had a negative effect on performance (think 70s GM-type pellet-filled catalysts). Ever since catcon construction went to the honeycomb ceramic monolith, flow has been just fine unless the cat was physically damaged by operation with an extended misfire or other engine problem. No real reason to remove one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back