240,000 miles on a 03 Accord I4 Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over on DriveAccord, I came across a guy who now has 240,000 + miles on his 2003 Accord EX 4-cylinder Automatic. Original transmission. Here was his 200k report: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=135601

He replaces his transmission fluid about every 60k miles with Honda ATF-Z1. He just does one drain and refill. No flushes. No multiple drain and refills.

So, there you have it. It IS possible for modern electronically controlled automatics, even a 5-speed like this one, to last more than 200k miles under the right conditions.

Now, here's my question: what's the reason that I do not see the same service life out of the V6 Accord transmissions? I rarely see Honda V6 automatics last past 150k miles. Wouldn't one think that the engineers would design the unit in the V6 to handle the additional load?

The V6 and I4 use different units. V6 uses the BCLA and the I4 uses a BAYA.

These are very atypical conditions and yes ANY auto would last given the pure highway(likely) miles.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
These are very atypical conditions and yes ANY auto would last given the pure highway(likely) miles.

Exactly, Find one 10+ years old with that mileage and I'll be impressed.

I had a 1994 Dodge all I did was Transmission filters and pan changes, every 25,000 miles,(Not synthetic)I never had any transmission trouble in truck known to eat them for lunch. I dont think that flushing is all its suppose to be. As long as you change the bulk of the fluid and change it before it is complete garbage(Dont wait till 100,000 miles) I dont think flushes are needed. I think the filter is more important than the flush. I hate these dealerships that only flush and leave the old filter in, I asked my Lincoln daler about this and he told me they can tell by the amount of back pressure if the filter is plugged, if its plugged enough that back pressure builds up, you already have some serious issues and its a little late now to change that filter that got flushed with garbage 3 times ago.

My buddy just bought a 2000 BMW 528iT with ~265k on the clock from the original owner and it has the original tranny (and engine of course). The tranny is on its way out though, GM unit. AFAIK, the unit has never had the fluid changed.

Car is nice inside and out, those E39's hold up well. It will be his DD to supplement his nice collection of other Bavarain rides.

5-6k with GTX 5w-20 and PureOne or Wix filters.

I talked to him yesterday and he said that he usually changes the ATF every 10 oil changes. For the last few changes, he has used Maxlife ATF and not Z1. He's at 236k right now.

Thanks Mike.

I think it also says a lot about highway miles. Engines that run at operating temperature for awhile and get the oil hot seem to run forever. The Honda 2.4L and Ecotec I'd put in the top 3 best 4 bangers for longevity. Transmission probably didn't get that much of a workout considering most of these miles where in the same gear. LOL

I have had many GM cars near 200k on the original tranny, and I'm fairly certain my 88 Lesabre which was totalled at 278k had the original transmission. I don't doubt one minute that a properly maintained auto tranny car last 200k, maybe not certain models.

That is nice to see. My Explorer has the original transmission. The previous owner had it since 1999 when it had 28,000 miles. He seemed pretty good about maintenance, and knew the ins and outs of the truck well. I think the fact that it has made it to 150K with no issues means it must have been maintained well. I just had the fluid changed today at a dealer. They did some sort of chemical flush I guess...not something hooked up to a machine. On the bill it says "INSTALLED: 1031: AUTO TRANS FLUSH 1@$14.80." I'd like to know what the heck that stuff is. They did drop the pan, but didn't change the filter. I probably should have asked them to change it, but I plan on having it drained and refilled again soon. I suspect they may have done a "manual flush" where they use the transmission pump to pump out the old fluid. The bill says they filled it with 6 quarts of ATF, and I think you only get out three when you just drop the pan.

Ford autos are not known as the best, but thankfully my Explorer is equiped with a "55" series model...that translates to the ability to handle up to 550 ft. lbs. of torque. From what I have read, as long as they are maintained, these transmissions can last a long time. Neglect them and they won't go past 140K miles.

It is absolutely possible to get >200k on a modern electrically controlled AT.

Screw-ups from certain manufacturers designs still dont necessarily stop them. some will get through with the right treatment.

JMH

I've got 223,700 miles on my 1993 Acura Legend V6 / Auto...

Zero problems, trans shifts rock solid and does not slip.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I had a 1994 Dodge all I did was Transmission filters and pan changes, every 25,000 miles,(Not synthetic)I never had any transmission trouble in truck known to eat them for lunch. I dont think that flushing is all its suppose to be. As long as you change the bulk of the fluid and change it before it is complete garbage(Dont wait till 100,000 miles) I dont think flushes are needed. I think the filter is more important than the flush. I hate these dealerships that only flush and leave the old filter in, I asked my Lincoln daler about this and he told me they can tell by the amount of back pressure if the filter is plugged, if its plugged enough that back pressure builds up, you already have some serious issues and its a little late now to change that filter that got flushed with garbage 3 times ago.

On honda's and most new cars the tranny filter is not servicable unless you drop the entire tranny.

Honda only does flushes (drain, fill, drive a few kms, come back drain and fill, drive a few kms and come back drain and fill and be on your way....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back