23 UOAs database for audi/VW 2.0l FSI turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea sorry re not being able to see full text in some cells. The reason is that to post an image of the excel spreadsheet and have it not be really, really long (and therefore not really readable) it has to use the truncated cells. You can see the full text in Excel file but not in the image. Pm me with your email address if you want me to email you the excel file.

I would love to see that GC UOA here on BITOG when you get it!

There currently are no M1 5W40 UOAs on the database so that would be great if you were to try that and we can add it to the database in the future. Another oil that is missing is Lubromoly 5W40 and Rotella synthetic. I would love to see UOAs of those oils on the database and Shaeffers also. There are also no total/elf UOAs on there yet.

5k looks like a good OCI interval at least according to the UOA database.

Thought I would add another UOA to this thread. 08 GTI FSI with 14k total miles, no motor modifications. Oil is Castrol Syntec 5w40 with a little over 3k miles on it. 60% highway, and 40% city traffic.

UOA.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got my A4 2007 with 29k analysis back using GC for 5k

looks pretty good, I think I'll stay with it

ROBERT: Thanks for the note. We did indeed find quite a bit of fuel in this sample, but who knows how
much would have been present if you hadn't started the engine first. Maybe just a little, from driving around
and idling on cold mornings, or maybe none at all. You can always try taking a sample stone cold
next time, to see if the data changes. Wear looks really good. Universal averages show typical metals from
this type Audi after 5500 miles on the oil. You can go longer than 5000 miles. The TBN is still good at 5.5, try 7500 next time

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 22
COPPER 4
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 17
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 5
BORON 25
SILICON 5
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 1662
MAGNESIUM 402
PHOSPHORUS 852
ZINC 996

Sus vis @210F 6.1
cST vis@100C 10.54
Flashpoint 330
Fuel 2.8
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.3
TBN 5.5

rlme36 and rhouse181, you may want to post these UOA in the Used Oil Analysis section of BITOG also, as you will get more comments there. I will add the UOA to the database. Thanks!

Updated the database. It currently has 39 UOAs. A little hard to read. pm me with your email address if you want the excel file.

uoa10a2.jpg

uoa10b2.jpg

Please feel free to post wherever you want. If you want a more readable version you can pm me with your email adress for the excel file ( but then u have to make images of the excel file for posting which is a pain)

Originally Posted By: Scott_in_WI
M:\2006 Audi A4\Oil Analysis\2009.07.29 46387 mi Analysis.jpg

Not gonna work like that. You need to upload the file to an image hosting site first.

Well duh, I knew better than that, here are the comments and results. 90% plus highway miles, let me know what you think...

The universal averages show average wear for the Audi 2.0L Turbo engine after 5,400 miles of oil use. You ran your oil 5,239 miles and all of the wear metals read below those averages. They were also in balance to one another, indicating normally wearing parts at 46,387 miles. The high sodium is likely from additive in oil that was in use previously. Since potassium and wear were low we doubt the sodium is from anti-freeze. The TBN was 6.7, lots of active additive left. It's almost gone when it reads 1.0. Oil viscosity was in the SAE 30W range. Nice wearing Audi!

2006 Audi A4 2.0L Turbo
MI/HR on Oil 5239
MI/HR on Unit 46,387
Sample Date 7/29/2009
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ELEMENTS
IN PARTS PER MILLION

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 28
COPPER 2
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 70
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 113
SILICON 3
SODIUM 56
CALCIUM 2561
MAGNESIUM 42
PHOSPHORUS 806
ZINC 1000
BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63.0
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.06
Flashpoint in °F 390
Fuel % Antifreeze % ?
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 6.7
TAN
ISO Code

I think it may be worth it to take note of the low wear that the tracked car had with the MoS2 additive stuff. I think it would not be a bad idea to see what effect Moly has on these engines.

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
I think it may be worth it to take note of the low wear that the tracked car had with the MoS2 additive stuff. I think it would not be a bad idea to see what effect Moly has on these engines.

I am inadvertently testing this now! ha ha. I was running the new formula redline 5w40 that has no moly for the previous 2 runs but my current run of RL 5W40 is the old "with moly" formula (around 600-700ppm Moly). So it will be interesting to see if there are any changes with the Moly formula in there.

However this "test" will be complicated by the fact that I bypassed the pcv to the exhaust at the same time as switching to the old formula (I intended to stay with the new formula to minimize the variables and see what affect the pcv bypass has on the oil, it just turned out that I bought the old formula by mistake). I probably will have the first UOA of this run in a month or so I would guess.

Originally Posted By: djlinux64

Looking at it closer, the iron ppm/1000 miles is almost identical to the amsoil 5W40 which has almost no moly:
moly.jpg

Here's the latest analysis for my 06 A4 2.0T

Code:

OIL Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40

REPORT DATE 10/22/09

MI/HR on Oil 4550

MI/HR on Unit 54303

Sample Date 10/03/09

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

Comments:

You shortened your oil use to 4,550 miles and there was a significant improvement in iron,

which comes from steel parts. All of the wear metals in this sample read below universal

averages and were in balance to one another indicating normally wearing parts at 54,303

miles. The oil's viscosity was a little low again measuring in the SAE 30W range. No gasoline,

moisture or any signs of anti-freeze were present in the sample. The TBN was 6.0, this

time. Sodium also dropped to a reasonable 8 ppm. All in all, a good report. Try ~6,000 miles

for your next sample.

ELEMENTS

IN PARTS PER MILLION

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 11

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 17

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 50

SILICON 2

SODIUM 8

CALCIUM 1335

MAGNESIUM 629

PHOSPHORUS 916

ZINC 1089

BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63.0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.07

Flashpoint in °F 385

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 6.0

Additional Information

Iron per 1000 miles 2.42

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Scott, I would suggest posting this UOA as a seperate thread so that you get more responses. Also I intended this thread as a place to compile and discuss multiple UOAs on the 2.0FSI and posters may miss out on some good reviews/discussion on individual UOAs if they post in this thread.

At first glance iron is very low, nice to see higher zinc for cam follower protection, silicon very low (nice), and what looks like mechanical shear much higher than I would have thought at almost 22% in only 4500 miles assuming TDT's starting kv100 is 14.9 cst. Tbn is excellent.

This 2.0 FSI engine should be nicknamed "the shear monster" ha ha.

Oh, the UOA is from 70% city 30% highway miles. Stock engine except for a downpipe at that time. Sheet tells the rest.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back