'22 Honda Navi...which oil would you use?

getting a new ride...'22 Honda Navi which is an enigma; mini moto style with a 110cc scooter engine; it lacks a dedicated oil filter so common sense says frequent oil changes and/or a magnetic drain plug are good ideas...

Honda recommends using 10w-30 with a JASO MA rating which I don't need since this machine does not have a manual transmission nor a wet clutch so the JASO rating is unnecessary (cvt transmission with belt transfer between variator & centrifugal dry clutch);

I plan to use 10w-30 synthetic or synthetic blend oil once the engine is 'broken in'...if you owned this bike which oil would you use?

Last edited:
Here are a couple threads with discussion on that topic.
In a nutshell - Honda just did a Copy-Paste from other owner's manuals. JASO ratings are irrelevant here, due to a belt driven CVT, which is not a part of the oiling system.
Scooters are my hobby now, and after owning a few I get great results with the following recipe:
- Liquid-cooled scoots get Mobil1 0W-40, or comparable oil with the more demanding European ratings.
- Air-cooled scoots get Mobil1 15W-50 or Mobil1 4T 10W-40.
Happy riding!

Don't they have some kind of centrifugal filter. I'd use any euro 30 or 40 if it was mine. Cost the same or a tad more than regular oil.

Don't they have some kind of centrifugal filter. I'd use any euro 30 or 40 if it was mine. Cost the same or a tad more than regular oil.
the 'filter' is a typical metal screen with rather generous openings in the mesh...won't really catch much

the 'filter' is a typical metal screen with rather generous openings in the mesh...won't really catch much
oh, i thought those small engines had a centrifugal filter. Must be for a different model then. But yeah a little screen isn't gonna do much.

oh, i thought those small engines had a centrifugal filter. Must be for a different model then. But yeah a little screen isn't gonna do much.
ironic thing is the previous generation of Honda Rebel 250 bikes used powerplants with internal filter screens and they lasted decades...same thing with a bunch of their scooters; guess I could just change oil @ 500 miles shy of the 2500 mile oci & get the contaminants out sooner

well...after some research & hitting a few people with questions about Honda scooters (the Navi essentially uses the 110cc engine & cvt as the Honda Activa family of scoots...Navi has a carburetor instead of fuel injection); my oci is most likely gonna be < 2000 miles & I am gonna use conventional (most of which is a synthetic blend to meet SN+ & SP specs)

in my hunting thru the house I discovered an older quart of Smitty's S syn blend 10w-40 (SN spec) which will be used for 1st oil change; then I found 2 quarts of Super Tech conventional 10w-40 (SN spec)...clearance tags say $1.50 (we'll never see those prices again; most likely I will use those for spring-summer-early autumn riding;

my local Walmart is clearance pricing Valvoline conventional for $3.00/quart or $17.00/5 quart jug...they were outta the quart sized bottles so I grabbed a 5 quart of 10w-30 (? SN + or SP spec); figure I got enough for 2 or 3 seasons...

Back