20K miles on Royal Purple + Redline 03 VW 1.9L TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 VW Golf 1.9L TDI, 5spd manual.
UOA is done by Polaris Lab.
Mile at sampling: 170,500 miles
Miles on oil: 20,300 miles in about 7 months
Oil: 4qt Royal Purple Long Rider 10W30 HDEO + 1.5qt Redline 30WT Racing oil. Make up oil is < 1qt of Redline 30WT Racing oil
Oil filter: VW full flow + Amsoil BE90 bypass
Air Filter: Frame
Fuel filter: VW

Since new this car has a total of 10qt of VW approved oil. The rest of the time it was run mostly on CI-4+ (Amsoil, Royal Purple) and Redline Racing oil.

Car is used mostly 90% highway and 10% city. Most trips are 65 miles one way. Fuel is mostly Fly'n J with 8oz of 2 cycle synthetic oil (Poulan) per 15 gallons. Fuel mileage is on the high side of 52mpg with best to date of 57 mpg (no A/C).

Iron............19
Chromium........1
Aluminum........5
Copper..........2
Lead............1
Tin.............3
Silicon.........12
Sodium..........13
Potasium........1
Molybdenum......530
Antimony........1
Boron...........1
Magnesium.......218
Calcium.........2632
Barium..........1
Phosphorus......2036
Zinc............1983

Fuel............ < 0.5%
Soot............ 0.1%
Water (IR)...... < 0.1
VIS @ 100C ..... 12.0 cSt
IR Oxidation.... 50
IR Nitration.... 17

COMMENTS: Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval; Please provide missing lube type (PRODUCT NAME); Lubricant and filter change acknowledged;

This was a free sample from Polaris so there is no TBN. Keep in mind that this car used less than 400 gallons of fuel in over 20K miles so I doubt the TBN will be zero.

ZZman,

The 2 cycle oil gave me a little over 2mpg extra in the last 50K miles. It costs me an extra 50cents per tank but I get another 30+ miles per tank and at today diesel prices that's about $2 saving. It's not much but it doesn't hurt either.

Johnny,

The Red Line 30WT Racing oil + RP gave me 530 moly, 2036 Phos, and 1983 Zinc. Some might argued that this is beyond what my motor needs but one thing I know for sure is that it has help me last week when I ran out of oil on the road.

This is what has happened. Diesel Geek upgraded the seal on my Amsoil bypass filter so I installed the new seal when I changed the oil. The upgraded O-ring is slightly larger than the original O-ring so when I pushed the Kynar tube into the outlet of the bypass filter it did not go in all the way. When I did a system check after the oil change every thing looked good because there was no road vibration on the line.

The next morning I drove from Phoenix to Yuma for a customer meeting. At about 130 miles into my trip the oil light came on so I pulled over to take a look. The engine was full of oil and there was no oil registering on the dipstick. The oil was leaking out where the Kynar tube meets the new O-Ring. I was wearing a suit and on my way to a payment milestone meeting with a customer so I couldn't be late nor fix the car on the spot. I took a chance and drove another 110 miles to my meeting. After the meeting I called my wife to bring me the oils and tools to fix the car. I added almost 4 qt of RP to the engine to get the oil to the full mark. The car sounds and run fine for about 1100 miles since with the same fuel mileage. I will do another UOA at 15-20K and see if any thing was damaged.

So this was the first UOA after the 110 mile no oil drive. I am not sure I understand, when was the 4 qts. added. This was the interval when the leaked occurred, then how many miles was actually on this oil.

110 miles with no oil pressure. It sure will be interesting to see the long term effect.

Drove 20K, changed oil and took sample for UOA. Upgraded the oil seal on the bypass filter. Drove 130 miles with some oil, then 110 miles with no oil. Fixed the leak then added 4qt of oil and drove home. Total miles since the oil leak is 1345 miles.

Probably the lowest wear ever in the 20k range that I have seen here or TDI Club. Soot .1% in 20k is the lowest for sure I have seen. Even when computing dilution in wear numbers due to top off, and increased capacity the overall is very low. Royal Purple is not cheap oil and it seems you are getting your moneys worth.

Is there a specific reason you mix two different brands. Is it to achieve a desired level of additives or viscosity.

Do you think that RP 5W40 would be more suitable or is long rider a different chemistry all together.

I am running S9000 after 39k on VAG oils.

I am running 10w30 to get better mileage. I gained about 3mpg switching from 15W40 (both Amsoil and RP). The RP Long Rider has more additives than their regular oil since it is geared toward the trucking industries with long OCI. I added the Redline Race oil to get the HTHS and the moly I wanted.

If there is no mechanical problem with the engine I think I am going to run a 30K OCI with the current oil change. I did not change the Amsoil bypass filter with the last oil change and I wonder if it would last 50K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back