20k mile drain and fill interval overkill on my Hyundai?

Well, after three drain and fills the last one finally came out a dark red, based on a calculator, I'd say I've replaced about 85% of the fluid. Driven approximately 4000 miles since the first drain and fill and the transmission shifts like it's brand new.

The car has about 131k on it, the manual states every 60k for severe service, I figure 3 drain and fills replaces most of the fluid, so every 20k will gradually replace it over the 60k span. Fluids cheap and a drain and fill is almost as easy as an oil change with my hose funnel. Is 20k too often? Plan on keeping the car until it irreparably fails the strict MA inspections (ie rusts apart).

Every 20K - that's a good plan. It's cheap and easy so why not?

I used to do a drain 'n fill on my '02 Ford Escape every 10K. The severe service schedule was every 30K.
On my '15 SRX I did the first drain 'n fill at 14K - cheap insurance plus I bought a lot of ATF on clearance.

I'm going to do 30K drain a fills on my CVT Nissan Versa. 20K mile intervals won't hurt anything except you wallet.

I am doing my '18 Santa Fe @ 30,000 miles, and then every 30,000 miles after that.

My mom's '18 Kia Soul will be done ~33,000 miles.
Was going to do it last oil change @ 30,000, but she needed to car that day quickly, so just did the oil change. Will stick with a 30,000 mile interval for that one too.

Why 30,000, I just decided that was a good mileage timeframe for me. Is 20,000 overkill, maybe, maybe not.
The cost for a transmission fluid change is not that high, and if it gives you another 100,000 miles out of the transmission, all the better.

Last edited:
20k is ok. If that's what you want. I did 12/24 drain and fills on my Sienna. Only did one drain and fill on the Caravan. Had to replace the torque converter few months ago and may continue to do drain and fills every 30k miles.

I think the important thing here is the "until rust makes it fail inspection." You've got 131k and how much rust is underneath it and on the side? If you think you can get a cool nother 150k on it id say that plan is fantastic, but if you're only going to get say 50-75 I wouldn't ever worry about it again after what you've already done.

I think the important thing here is the "until rust makes it fail inspection." You've got 131k and how much rust is underneath it and on the side? If you think you can get a cool nother 150k on it id say that plan is fantastic, but if you're only going to get say 50-75 I wouldn't ever worry about it again after what you've already done.
None whatsoever, except a small amount on the tie rod adjustment screws and a little bit of surface rust on the driver's side runner but that's where constant in and out has just rubbed off the paint. It's getting a rust converter treatment and repaint once the weather is warm enough. It's a 2016 and it's only seen three new england winters so far, lived it's early life in rust free georgia. The underside, suspension, wheel wells, and frame are all still coated black and other than being a bit dirty look almost new.

As much as I drive I could probably put 700k+ on it before rust even starts. It might even make 200k by the end of the year.

Last edited:
None whatsoever, except a small amount on the tie rod adjustment screws and a little bit of surface rust on the driver's side runner but that's where constant in and out has just rubbed off the paint. It's getting a rust converter treatment and repaint once the weather is warm enough. It's a 2016 and it's only seen three new england winters so far, lived it's early life in rust free georgia. The underside, suspension, wheel wells, and frame are all still coated black and other than being a bit dirty look almost new.

As much as I drive I could probably put 700k+ on it before rust even starts. It might even make 200k by the end of the year.
You're good to go then man, maintain that thing just as you are that spill and fill schedule should keep it happy for a very long time.

For the amount of driving you do, 20k could be excessive :unsure:

You should also consider rustproofing, if you don't already have it :)

For the amount of driving you do, 20k could be excessive :unsure:

You should also consider rustproofing, if you don't already have it :)
Going to fluid film it this fall. The car appears to already be well coated underneath so should be good enough.

A good amount of my driving would be considered severe. Lots of stop and go and WOT to manuver my way through the massholes.

I think every 20,000 is a good idea...I did that with a Honda that was known for troublesome transmissions and I never had a problem, even after 280,000 plus miles.

Back