2024 SUBARU Impreza at L.A. Auto Show ...

Honestly I don't get all the CVT hate. The one in our 2019 Outback isn't bad at all and I've come to actually like it...
If it breaks it’s like 7 grand to replace. I could buy 2 Chrysler 5 speed autos used behind the 5.7 Hemi or 3 Chrysler 42REs used behind the Jeep inline sixes for that! Where’s the big benefit? Our Subaru 4 spd auto lasted nearly 200k in our 98 Outback…

If it breaks it’s like 7 grand to replace. I could buy 2 Chrysler 5 speed autos used behind the 5.7 Hemi or 3 Chrysler 42REs used behind the Jeep inline sixes for that! Where’s the big benefit? Our Subaru 4 spd auto lasted nearly 200k in our 98 Outback…

Yea, but that would require someone to drive a penalty box that is a Chrysler :sick:

I'll take my chances. If it ever does fail it isn't that hard to get to and can be swapped for a JY unit. But, the latest versions aren't dropping near as fast as a Chrysler transmission...

Not so
The Chrysler 5 spd behind the V8s is excellent, with be got one in an 07 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi that’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned now at 120,000 miles.
We went through the BS of the EJ 2.5 head gaskets not once but twice, on our 98 Outback, first time @ 109,000 miles had it fixed then again @ 186,000 miles. Meanwhile the 98 Jeep we bought at the same time we still have original engine runs like new @ 180,000 miles. Traded that 98 Ob on a 17 Forester.

Too bad the limited slip center diff is slowly fading into the history books on their econo flavours.

It's very small. Surprised she gave it such a high review she's pretty particular. Her reviews are great though. She often goes under the car into greater detail than you'd find in some magazine review.

Back