2023 Toyota Sequoia looks nice

As many of us expected, a new Seq. Is coming with that hybrid turbo powertrain. Look good, better than Tundra. I want one. I am too cheap to buy one but its tempting.

It does, very curious to see MPG and fuel tank capacity.
The Expedition/Navigator as well as the EB 3.5L F-150 is a close parallel.

Something tells me Toyota will make a Lexus-badged version of it to compete against the Escalade/Yukon Denali and Navigator. The LX stands on its own, the closest competitor for it is the G-Wagen(I would say the Range Rover, but that’s too on-road biased to compete with the X5/X7, Q7, GLE/GLS and their M/S/AMG versions as well as the Rolls-Royce and Bentley/Lambo variants of them).

Toyota "updated" it by removing the rear IRS and adding a sold rear axle. OK. This is another me too product and probably won't excel at anything just like the 2022 Tundra. Toyota doesn't understand this segment at all. Witness the lack of tow hooks that ARE NOT ON the new Tundra. Also no steps in the rear (corner) bumper to access the bed.

The Suburban/Yukon will still be sales kings. Even Ford is a distance second. Those who pluck down $70,000.00 for these don't care what fuel costs-or they would not be buying one in the first place.

Last edited:
I am VERY disappointed that they got rid of the Torsen full-time transfer case that has been in the Sequoia since like 2006 I believe? That is a huge selling point for me and one of my favorite features in my Lexus GX. I love that its always on and that the torsen keeps everything in check, and I really love that I can put it in 4Lo without locking the transfer case. I offroad with it unlocked in 4Lo and move my trailer around the yard and into campsites with it like that. No binding and tons of torque.

I am pretty sure this may be the only FS SUV that doesn't have some kind of 4Auto/AWD/Full-Time 4x4 mode. And Toyota's was the best.

Toyota "updated" it by removing the rear IRS and adding a sold rear axle. OK. This is another me too product and probably won't excel at anything just like the 2022 Tundra. Toyota doesn't understand this segment at all. Witness the lack of tow hooks that ARE NOT ON the new Tundra. Also no steps in the rear (corner) bumper to access the bed.

The Suburban/Yukon will still be sales kings. Even Ford is a distance second. Those who pluck down $70,000.00 for these don't care what fuel costs-or they would not be buying one in the first place.
If they can get the ride quality good enough i like the solid axle. My 05 escalade pulls it off and the durability of solid axles is good.

Looks like it shares powertrain and chassis with the new Tundra.

Watching the reveal - but only out of curiosity. Really don't need another vehicle, even though I like this one.

What do the current Suburban/Yukon excel at other than riding on the reputation of their nameplates?

I wonder if the solid axle has anything to do with the discontinuation of the Land Cruiser in the US. Maybe it's a way to appeal to those buyers and try to keep them away from domestics.

Looks good. But, what I am looking carefully is this wastegate debacle and more I am learning about it, the more I think Toyota looked at BMW N63 issues and said: hold my beer, we can make it more complicated to work on.
I was actually looking at this engine as potentially family option once we don't need minivan, but....

The one advantage Toyota has always banked on was reliability. Take that away, and you're not left with much to like. I'd say the domestics do truck things a bit better.

It's too early to tell if quality will be an issue with the current gen Tundra.

What do the current Suburban/Yukon excel at other than riding on the reputation of their nameplates?

I wonder if the solid axle has anything to do with the discontinuation of the Land Cruiser in the US. Maybe it's a way to appeal to those buyers and try to keep them away from domestics.
They are moving everything to the same global platforms. So-yes maybe you are on the right track. The ergonomics of the previous generation of Sequoia were outright terrible. So then again-you have a vehicle that is the same price-or maybe more that is inferior. And the Sequoia has always had a bloated look compared to the GM twins. Granted the vehicles are big-but designing them to make them look even bigger doesn't work.

Last edited:
The one advantage Toyota has always banked on was reliability. Take that away, and you're not left with much to like. I'd say the domestics do truck things a bit better.

It's too early to tell if quality will be an issue with the current gen Tundra.
And, our Sienna definitely did not help Toyota's case. Only reason why I was interested in new Sequia is 4WD which I see is changed, and V6 turbo which would be better here at altitude. But, so far it looks like a vehicle that will need to mature, a lot.

cost reduction. nobody has ever taken the sequoia seriously and the removal of the IRS won’t do anything.

the only americans who built brand new cruiser 200s were kids with daddy’s money. nobody else cared and just wanted to be at the top of the toyota food chain or bought the lexus instead

Last edited:
Interesting feature, the third row seats can slide forward or backwards but the second row seats are fixed.

This update was way overdue.

Back