Looking for a NICE camper van. New or Used.

OK new more open thread.

Looking for a nice camper van. Just wife and I want to drive places. Park our keisters and relax.

I'm open to any brands........any engine. Not too huge. 4X4 nice, but not 100% required.

Think $100K- $150K nice, but under $100K always better.

Shower, potty for #1.

Cooler. Power.

Last edited:
I had a class C for a couple years. I had a "Jamboree Searcher" but the things are like legos. They buy hot water heaters, sinks, ovens from third parties and cobble them together in mostly the same order. The generator exhaust can only be here, the bed needs an egress window, etc etc.

You want to drive to places. Where? Boondocking? Is the place you have in mind, legal for that? Campground?

Rent first, test the waters. If you have to buy, go estate shopping. Lots of old people die in the things or near them.

I could show up in any BITOG member's driveway!
department-56-christmas-vacation-cousin-eddies-rv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There most all built on a sprinter chasis. I also suggest renting - truly. The number of people that get sick of them is like 99%. If you hated the trailers you rented, what makes you think you won't hate the van?

If I had to have one, I would buy a used sprinter, plumb in a toilet and shower and throw a bed in it somewhere. This whole idea of a kitchen in a van is stupid. I don't cook inside at home, why on earth would I do so when camping?

Sounds like a lot of time to spend that you could have been camping
Maybe.

Or buy a sprinter, throw an air mattress and porta potty in the back, then drive it on over to the Hilton instead. With all the money you saved you can stay all year.

PS - before you blast me - I do camp once in a while - in a tent.

But really when the kids (12 & 14), wife, and I went camping it was like...

Go outside, turn the gas on. Light the water heater pilot, then turn the knob so the big flame kicks on. Set up tinfoil on the counter next to the stove so the bacon splatter doesn't get everywhere. Make breakfast. Do the dishes once the water's hot enough to dissolve bacon fat that's on everything. Then put the stove toppers in a drawer because they rattle like crazy when driving. Don't neglect to dump the black water. It's a 20 step process to do what's 3 steps at home. And the RV *is* the toy... we'd do a nature walk then spend two hours on lunch.

We didn't use the shower, generator, or fridge. Just kept the cold food in a cooler with ice on a receiver hitch tray. The generator was sized (4k watts) for the AC unit on the roof but overkill for everything else. Would have been good in a Florida summer, I guess.

Mine was nice during covid though, the rest of the family got sick so I bugged out to the driveway.

I sold it to a couple who were going to live in it vs paying rent.

20230115_075607-jpg.135578

Where would you buy a new camper van if not through an RV dealer?

Be very clear that when you own any RV you have 2 hobbies, using the RV and working on the RV. If you can't or won't work on it you'll be a very unhappy owner. New, used, trailer, class A,B,C,D, etc. all need constant maintenance and tinkering. We're on our 7th trailer from old $400 pop-ups to this latest fairly new hardly used Grand Design and every one demands your time.

We have a 75 Westfalia camper just like the one in the picture above. Bought it in Santa Fe New Mexico and it had a bad clutch and a worn motor. I rebuilt all that and have used it on a couple of camping trips. We also have an 86 Westfalia that we have camped and travel in all over the place. Rebuilt the motor in it too and replaced the transmission. We don't use the VW's much anymore since we bought a 1993 Roadtrek Versatille. It has a queen bed in the back and a toilet and stove and refig and a microwave. It also has built in AC to keep you cool while sleeping. It is Dodge B350 chassis with 5.2 Magnum that gets 16mpg. We love it and it has been ultra reliable. He is right about working on them yourself though because you can't always trust the repair people to really repair your problem.

Westfalia is making a comeback. Not partnering with VW.

Back