Looking for a NICE camper van. New or Used.

As in some of the bolts got rust on them living out in the open. My wife's older bike did worse. Not sure how to prevent it but the point of going to great riding spots is to ride your good bike so bringing an older who cares bike isn't great.

No evidence on the exterior of it being upfitted for camping. It doesn't sound like Pablo is looking for a major build project.
Poor pictures on my part. Van was fully upfitted, to include toilet and water inlet on the driver side of the van.

I am going to say Pablo needs a loaded super nice mini van, and should stay at hotels. He lives already on a really nice nature filled compound. Or he should forget the camper and buy a nice mobile home in Yuma, AZ, and spend four months a year in Yuma with junkets into Mexico and the Baha coast.

But really when the kids (12 & 14), wife, and I went camping it was like...

Go outside, turn the gas on. Light the water heater pilot, then turn the knob so the big flame kicks on. Set up tinfoil on the counter next to the stove so the bacon splatter doesn't get everywhere. Make breakfast. Do the dishes once the water's hot enough to dissolve bacon fat that's on everything. Then put the stove toppers in a drawer because they rattle like crazy when driving. Don't neglect to dump the black water. It's a 20 step process to do what's 3 steps at home. And the RV *is* the toy... we'd do a nature walk then spend two hours on lunch.

We didn't use the shower, generator, or fridge. Just kept the cold food in a cooler with ice on a receiver hitch tray. The generator was sized (4k watts) for the AC unit on the roof but overkill for everything else. Would have been good in a Florida summer, I guess.

Mine was nice during covid though, the rest of the family got sick so I bugged out to the driveway.

I sold it to a couple who were going to live in it vs paying rent.

20230115_075607-jpg.135578
Love camping, but most RV type stuff seems like a royal pain and not really a net value or savings. 20 steps to do something that takes three at home seems right. Nd then you have this enormous inefficient thing.

I do fancy the concept of van life or stealth camping if it can be fit. For op as a party of two this seems doable.

I’d buy a cheap 1980s conversion van to try it all out and then upgrade from there. If the budget is $100k, some nicely done up sprinter or transit 4x4 overland vans seem doable, though not incognito…

My thread for @Pablo to reference:

Pablo,
I have transit 350 shorty tall pass van
I love it
Just did a 6200 mile trip over last 2 weeks of July
If you have a few weekends free you could do weekender conversion yourself.
Maybe get a used cargo van with 3.5 eco boost?

Mine is geared towards weekend trips and working from the van as I work remote.

Bluetti for power
And heat.
12kw of LFE

Pablo,
I have transit 350 shorty tall pass van
I love it
Just did a 6200 mile trip over last 2 weeks of July
If you have a few weekends free you could do weekender conversion yourself.
Maybe get a used cargo van with 3.5 eco boost?

Mine is geared towards weekend trips and working from the van as I work remote.

Bluetti for power
And heat.
12kw of LFE
Inquiring minds want pictures.

OK new more open thread.

Looking for a nice camper van. Just wife and I want to drive places. Park our keisters and relax.

I'm open to any brands........any engine. Not too huge. 4X4 nice, but not 100% required.

Think $100K- $150K nice, but under $100K always better.

Shower, potty for #1.

Cooler. Power.
I have had several travel trailers , and camped around.

I have never understood the attraction of the class B vans over a small 24-26ft class C.

The only advantage to the vans, i see, is sleeping in a downtown parking space. You can't hardly stand up in a class B, If it rains, its a long cramped day. Little room for a pet.

A 24 ft class C has so much more room , yet is not much bigger than a B.

Either way, just realize that a class B or small class C, the beds will suck.

1704138272938.jpeg

My boss (and Jimmy Buffet when he was still living) has a Sportsmobile van. Kind of interesting setup. The company has been around for quite some time, and they install very heavy duty drivetrain components. Drives just like any pickup truck, can park in 100% of all normal parking spots, and with the epic 4x4 drivetrain, go anywhere. I've not used it, so can't say what it is like to live with.

sportsmobile-classic-4x4.jpg

As far as an epic van style RV, the Coach House, Platinum 3 stands apart, with a one piece fiberglass shell. Very well sealed, leakproof, and high quality.

platinum3-250-gallery-lifestyle-front-1.jpg,qmodified=0204202222380138.pagespeed.ce.47dOIH1i74.jpg

In a past life, I did the race car thing, building cars/engines professionally, transporting them to the track and doing some racing, and providing support for professional drivers. Quite often I'd stay in RV's. Often at the trackside, or in the case of aviation, Oshkosh/Sun-N-Fun fly in, at the dedicated RV campgrounds. While those experiences are different than touring the country on vacation, I think the RV living is much the same. In the end, I'm partial to a nice hotel room. So I'd rather have a very small, parkable, but comfortable RV that is extremely easy to handle, and stay at the Hilton when possible. Endless hot showers, big comfy beds, plenty of room, no noisy neighbors, and no wallowing in the mud when it rains.

I understand hotels are expensive. So are campgrounds. The local campground is $110 per night for a van with no slide outs.
By way of comparison, the Home 2 Suites at the very same location is $106 per night.

Last edited:
For me, Class A or bust. I'm 6'7" and want to stand up. Doesn't matter for the moment though, I'm not to that season of life yet.

I definitely like the van idea, had a friend with a Sprinter based Interstate, he said he got 18mpg in it on the highway at 65-70. It's just not for me.

I turned my Sienna into a camping van. Built a wood frame bed and some storage. Hung an awning. 2" lift kit and +1 Defenders. I am having a blast with it.

I turned my Sienna into a camping van. Built a wood frame bed and some storage. Hung an awning. 2" lift kit and +1 Defenders. I am having a blast with it.
My brother in law has been using a mini-van that way (without the lift) to go on wind surfing trips to the Columbia river gorge for decades. Since way before anything like that became semi mainstream. He loves it.

Beds count. My dad attempted a sprinter conversion and he bunked the two mattresses lengthwise to have something long enough. Beds on one side, “kitchen” and cassette toilet stall on the other. It felt more like a penalty box, jammed and crammed. It was a disappointment and they found excuses to sell it. Shame - the van itself was wonderful and I quite enjoyed wheel time in it.

id rather put a full length queen in the back, mid-high, with storage beneath it. Probably set it up for sleep and comfort and rely on camp showers and outdoor cooking. Toilets/privacy take up space, perhaps a cassette toilet for when it’s necessary, but your wife won’t like it.

Back