2023 Prius Prime PHEV debuts with 220-hp engine and 40-mile EV range

Buyers will be very happy with M20A-FXS, eCVT and AWD.

I can say this without reservation, after 230k miles of experience !

Oils used:
LGMO 0W16 SN+ & SP.
PP 0W16 SN+.
HPL HDEO 0W16.
HPL PCMO PP 0W8.

:giggle:

Nah, the market has moved to CUV's.

40 miles is a good number for most urban commuters. Keep in mind that the goal is to have enough charge for a 1-way daily commute, charge at work and return. The fuel economy is already outstanding with a hybrid once the plug-in range is exhausted. The smaller battery also allows for a quick charges.
True but higher mpg vehicles are making a comeback for obvious reasons. Going cuv lowers mpg's enough to make people reconsider. And this new model should be more spacious than before. And thank god they got rid of the hideous Prius look. They only hurt their sales by pushing on the cusp customers like me away just enough to get them to get something else or wait a long time. That's why i didn't buy the current Prius. Was just too ugly. Had it looked much better I would've not considered waiting a good while for this model.

True but higher mpg vehicles are making a comeback for obvious reasons. Going cuv lowers mpg's enough to make people reconsider. And this new model should be more spacious than before. And thank god they got rid of the hideous Prius look. They only hurt their sales by pushing on the cusp customers like me away just enough to get them to get something else or wait a long time. That's why i didn't buy the current Prius. Was just too ugly. Had it looked much better I would've not considered waiting a good while for this model.
I really doubt it will be more spacious. Almost all of the Toyota TGNA vehicles feel less roomy than their predecessors.

The 2 electric motors are integrated with the "transmission", aka Power Split Device.

other comments... it gets rid of some things Prius is known for... the dash instrument cluster is now in front of the driver (instead of the center), and gets rid of the CRX split hatchback glass.
Well, it will take some time to get rid of image of being synonymous for snail.

40 miles is perfect for me, even if it falls a little short I’d end up using such a tiny amount of gas it would take me forever to hit even half a tank. I’m kinda digging it, even has a respectable 0-60! 🤔
I talked to owner of BMW X5 45e. It took him 1300 miles to burn through one tank of gas.

There are several folks in my circle who have Prius and Rav4 Prime models. 40 miles is more than enough for them to run their local errands or commute to work. The only time Linda, for example, must buy gas is when she makes a long road trip.

In our communities there are several places that offer complimentary charging, so you can go to the market and get the car charged while shopping. As was said here earlier, there's no need to carry around more battery weight and complexity than needed. And, FWIW, the Rav4 Prime has about 300hp ... it's no slouch.

Looks good, but should have been a 300+ mile EV (at least optionally).

Sure but this is a PHEV not a BEV. It’s all to have joe public start thinking about charging vehicles to drive but the fear of running out of battery is gone due to gas engine.

Imagining it helps Toyota with architecture for full BEV in the future as well.

This is a great vehicle to transition to.

Front and rear are meh, side looks good--albeit very un-Toyota-like.

Wonder what the tow rating is...

Loses me on the interior. But who am I to speak? clearly I'm not the target demographic.

Wow!
Nice!
I’ll take the Yellow with a bit of window tint on the sides.
I would be interested in this car for my wife if she wanted one over a small SUV

Based on the photos it will be another home run for Toyota and how they see the future with a mix of vehicles

Last edited:
I still want a 12 year 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid system before buying another one. My gen three needed a new HV battery at eight years three months with 78K miles. Screw the present upgraded 10 year warranty.

Otherwise it is a really good looking car.

The 2 electric motors are integrated with the "transmission", aka Power Split Device.

other comments... it gets rid of some things Prius is known for... the dash instrument cluster is now in front of the driver (instead of the center), and gets rid of the CRX split hatchback glass.

so integrated on the input shaft or output? I would suspect input.

Wow that new Prius not only looks extremely nice but has a powerful engine as well. 220HP in a little car such as a Prius is amazing. I wonder what MSRP is and how long until a customer can buy one for MSRP. I get tired of dealer priced cars with "market adjustments." I sure don't miss the huge bullhead grille on a lot of Toyota's and other cars. Toyota has a way of doing things right the first time. I would be interested in buying a new Prius.

I don't think there's a brand with more recalls than toyota. If so you could argue they want to make things right, but I wouldn't call it "right the first time".

I still want a 12 year 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid system before buying another one. My gen three needed a new HV battery at eight years three months with 78K miles. Screw the present upgraded 10 year warranty.

Otherwise it is a really good looking car.
Curious on what the battery cost

I'm surprised that 1970's Mustard yellow is back in vogue. Is that going to be an official color option on the new Prius. I was expecting with the newer density batteries that it would have 100-125 miles of ev range.

Back