2023 Prius Prime PHEV debuts with 220-hp engine and 40-mile EV range

I want one!!!
  • "hybrid reborn" concept: Gen 5 designed from scratch for a new era of PHEVs
  • 2.0 L engine
  • 220 hp (223 PS) combined power
  • 0–62 mph in 6.7 s
  • 13.6 kWh battery
  • improved battery power (that will hopefully let the defogger operate without ICE unlike in Gen 4)
  • battery mounted under rear seats
  • 40 mi EV range
  • wider
  • longer wheelbase
  • 19 in wheels with wider tires
  • Gen 2 TNGA platform
  • lowered center of gravity
  • more aerodynamic for more steering stability and less wind noise
  • improved handling
  • island architecture for cockpit design
HYBRID REBORN NEW PRIUS | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

Hopefully I can trade in my 2021 Prius Prime Limited for a 2023 Prius Prime LTD, assuming my car payments would go down.

2023 Toyota Prius looks shockingly cool

Toyota unleashes radical redesign for sportier Prius hybrid | Automotive News

2023 Toyota Prius debuts in Europe as PHEV with 220 hp

2023-Prius-Prime-rear-full-07.jpg

2023-toyota-prius-japan-side-2-1668576156.jpg

2023-toyota-prius-japan-front-three-quarters-1668576156.jpg

2023-Prius_rear-quarter-passenger-moving-03.jpg

2023-Prius-Prime-plugged-in-passenger-side-02.jpg

prius-prime.jpg

prius-prime.jpg

2023-Prius_front-moving-02.jpg

2023-Prius_top-down-01.jpg

toyota-prius-2022.jpg

toyota-prius-2022.jpg

toyota-prius-2022.jpg

2023-Prius-Prime-inside-passengerr-side-04.jpg

is the electric motor placed before or after the transmission? if before, does the electric motor reach peak Hp at the same speed as the ICE? I've found this is often not the case and 120 hp ice + 100 hp electric doesn't equate to 220 hp output for example.

Still, will go a lot faster than the current prius. Any idea about the claimed weight?

Wow that new Prius not only looks extremely nice but has a powerful engine as well. 220HP in a little car such as a Prius is amazing. I wonder what MSRP is and how long until a customer can buy one for MSRP. I get tired of dealer priced cars with "market adjustments." I sure don't miss the huge bullhead grille on a lot of Toyota's and other cars. Toyota has a way of doing things right the first time. I would be interested in buying a new Prius.

It's about 1000 times more attractive than the first model Prius that I think was intentionally made ugly just so people knew your were driving a trendy "green" vehicle.

But only a 40 mile range on the battery ? That probably really means a 30 mile range. What's the point ? To get to a gas station if you run out of dinosaur juice ? It seems like a lot of extra cost and complexity to only get less than a Nissan Leaf's worth of electric range.
C'mon Toyota, can't you get a hundred miles of range out of this thing ?

For what it is going to cost why bother with a hybrid that only has <40 miles range ? That's pathetic and I'll bet most owners never find out what the battery range actually is.

It's about 1000 times more attractive than the first model Prius that I think was intentionally made ugly just so people knew your were driving a trendy "green" vehicle.

But only a 40 mile range on the battery ? That probably really means a 30 mile range. What's the point ? To get to a gas station if you run out of dinosaur juice ? It seems like a lot of extra cost and complexity to only get less than a Nissan Leaf's worth of electric range.

For what it is going to cost why bother with a hybrid that only has

40 miles is the magic number.

GM spent real money when they developed the Volt to learn that 80% of US commutes (at that time) fell into a 40 mile radius.

This looks like a nice car.

I clicked on all the links but didnt see what they might be asking for this.

is the electric motor placed before or after the transmission? if before, does the electric motor reach peak Hp at the same speed as the ICE? I've found this is often not the case and 120 hp ice + 100 hp electric doesn't equate to 220 hp output for example.

Still, will go a lot faster than the current prius. Any idea about the claimed weight?
The 2 electric motors are integrated with the "transmission", aka Power Split Device.

other comments... it gets rid of some things Prius is known for... the dash instrument cluster is now in front of the driver (instead of the center), and gets rid of the CRX split hatchback glass.

Toyota will sell a bazillion of 'em.
Nah, the market has moved to CUV's.

40 miles is a good number for most urban commuters. Keep in mind that the goal is to have enough charge for a 1-way daily commute, charge at work and return. The fuel economy is already outstanding with a hybrid once the plug-in range is exhausted. The smaller battery also allows for a quick charges.

40 miles is perfect for me, even if it falls a little short I’d end up using such a tiny amount of gas it would take me forever to hit even half a tank. I’m kinda digging it, even has a respectable 0-60! 🤔

Love it. Now i need to decide between the two. Thank goodness i held off on buying the prius until now, have had the itch for almost 2 years. But now to pick. And the next gen corolla hybrid is on the horizon isn't it?

Back