2023 Pilot engine?

Still no problems to report with VCM in my Pilot at 108,000 miles. Oil consumption is nearly zero, spark plugs were in great shape at the 100,000 mile service. Had a momentary CEL that came on on the highway that pointed to a flaky oil pressure switch in the VCM system, but it hasn't reappeared.

Ironically, the only problem I had was when I installed a VCM disabler. It caused CELs because the engine temperature was reporting too low. :LOL:

I looked up "VCM" on Google. Variable Cylinder Management they say. I'd run away from that as fast as I could.

It's unlikely that there are enough high-mileage "current" 3.5L engines out there yet to make a determination one way or another on the effects. Given the history of the system in previous generations, it does not bode well. Any story of success or failure in a current 3.5L would be anecdotal, as the sample size of high mileage vehicles is not sufficient to get a solid conclusion one way or another.

VCM is indeed in the newest version of the 3.5L Honda engine; it's even in the new turbo TLX Type S.
Which is why I ruled that car out of purchase considerations once I discovered that fact.

It's unlikely that there are enough high-mileage "current" 3.5L engines out there yet to make a determination one way or another on the effects. Given the history of the system in previous generations, it does not bode well. Any story of success or failure in a current 3.5L would be anecdotal, as the sample size of high mileage vehicles is not sufficient to get a solid conclusion one way or another.

VCM is indeed in the newest version of the 3.5L Honda engine; it's even in the new turbo TLX Type S.
Which is why I ruled that car out of purchase considerations once I discovered that fact.
Number of new Pilots on the road is probably less than 100. It will take several years to see how this engine does.
I am leaving LA tomorrow for Las Vegas and might stop to check one as they still don’t have any in Las Vegas, where I will spend 3 days or Colorado Springs.
If I don’t like it, I am buying Atlas next week.

[QUOTE="I Your sample size of 1 is outnumbered by all the other people having problems. Thank you for your 1 sample size.
[/QUOTE]
You're welcome.

The fit and finish of my '00 Accord was rather poor and dealers were rather clueless about addressing some of these issues. On top of that, the V6 had the known trans issue. I swore to never get another Honda after that experience. Alas, I am slowly warming up to another Honda product, but maybe I shouldn't?
Sorry to hear that, also sorry to hear you might buy another after that experience.

Our 19 EXL 48K awd six speed has been awesome. Disabled the VCM, added the factory transmission cooler and swapped out the DW1 atf with Amsoil SS blue cap atf. No oil burning and I follow the olm.

Back