2023 Pilot engine?

My hybrid used a cogged belt in place of a serpentine belt. Big deal. Has nothing to do with this thread as does GKN's blabbering

Yeah, after years of being a loyal Honda owner, I stay away from the brand now.

Between the fuel dilution in their “earth dreams” engines, and problems with oil consumption and rings in engines? I’m not going there. And did anyone see their new Accord they just released? 🤮🤮🤮 talk about taking a step back, what the heck are they doing?

I know looks are subjective, but this thing looks like they told the engineers to make something as boring and nondescript as possible, oh and let’s take away the 2.0 liter power plant. It just seems like an enormous step back from the current Accord. Meanwhile Toyota makes their Camry actually look sporty and modern. It’s like both brands switched their scripts. Christ, the Camry even comes with this storm trooper looking model...with the hardware all black, roof, grill, surrounded by a nice white paint. It actually looks like a nice car (IMO).
I actually think the new Accord looks better than the current one, and I don't mind the hybrid option, but the fact that you have to have it with 19" rims and low 40 profile tires is a no go for me here in Michigan.

This from a guy who is always complaining about how a motor oil ruined his engine? this is too loud, but this concoction quieted it right down? had to trade out of this because of the engine noise?

No offense here, but show me the Toyota Hybrid’s which have had start/stop for what, two decades now? and haven’t had bottom end issues. Oil ring issues maybe (certain Prius models) but bearing issues?

Engine start/stop is unnerving. It doesn’t seem to impact longevity.
I said he doesn't have data. The I presented an incomplete hypothesis using sarcasm, or just proposed a question.
You stated it doesn't seem to impact longevity.

We don't have data. It may be fine over the service life. it may not be. But if you can avoid 20 starts a day vs 2. Hmmm.

And what do my oil choices on a fuel diluting engine with evidence of heavy soot loading and low operating viscosity
have to do with this conversation? How is employing an initially higher HTHS lubricant to maintain an accepable moft when the oil is being heavily fuel diluted "bad science?"

Hey, be nice, we are neighbors :)

- Ken

I said he doesn't have data. The I presented an incomplete hypothesis using sarcasm, or just proposed a question.

We don't have data. It may be fine over the service life. it may not be. But if you can avoid 20 starts a day vs 2. Hmmm.

And what do my oil choices on a fuel diluting engine with evidence of heavy soot loading and low operating viscosity
have to do with this conversation? How is employing an initially higher HTHS lubricant to maintain an accepable moft when the oil is being heavily fuel diluted "bad science?"

- Ken

A lot of this is just someone not used to a new change. Something new comes along and people are unsure of it until it’s proven itself. But here on BITOG the consternation keeps going long after these systems prove themselves.

Even @JohnnyJohnson bought a new Mazda with cylinder deactivation on a four cylinder engine. From his comments he hasn’t even noticed it. Most here would squawk about running on two cylinders.

But here on BITOG the consternation keeps going long after these systems prove themselves.
Define “prove”. I’m sorta in the 10yr/250k camp, and unless if its on the maintenance schedule then it’s a repair.

Something making its way out of warranty is not “proven” to me.

- Ken
I’m trying to be nice but you’ve complained about a dozen or so different vehicles in my stay here. Picking a good oil for something with known dilution is one thing, complaining about noises and longevity that no one else has problems with seems like something else.

That or I’m just missing the implied sarcasm, for which I’m sorry. I might have a dry humor but I don’t always detect it in others.

Define “prove”. I’m sorta in the 10yr/250k camp, and unless if its on the maintenance schedule then it’s a repair.

Something making its way out of warranty is not “proven” to me.

That would be a personal observation from you and not an overall industry assessment. In other words, if a cylinder deactivation system has been out for ten years with no problems then it has proven itself. But if you are buying a car with that system for the first time then it has to prove itself to you.

That would be a personal observation from you and not an overall industry assessment. In other words, if a cylinder deactivation system has been out for ten years with no problems then it has proven itself. But if you are buying a car with that system for the first time then it has to prove itself to you.
I think I agree with you, when scores of engines are being shown to make it to my own admittedly arbitrary definition of “proven”, then it is indeed proven.

What I cannot filter through is internet amplification of AFM and VCM complaints, just how bad is it, and do I want to run the risk of it on something that I bought used with the deliberate intention of owning on the cheap.

I think I agree with you, when scores of engines are being shown to make it to my own admittedly arbitrary definition of “proven”, then it is indeed proven.

What I cannot filter through is internet amplification of AFM and VCM complaints, just how bad is it, and do I want to run the risk of it on something that I bought used with the deliberate intention of owning on the cheap.

All you can do is trust the manufacturer. For many of us that buy a vehicle every 10-15-20 years we encounter this pretty much each time.

Yup, which shows that Gen 3 VCM is just as bad as the two previous versions and that Honda is not taking care of customers. This Odyssey and CRV will probably be our last Honda vehicles.

Just curious, what’s wrong with the CRV? Or is is VCM collateral damage?

At least on photos new Pilit is serious improvement over that microwave they were selling before.
But one thing is just ridiculous in 2022, and thatnis petty torque at 5,000rpms. That means uphill it will constantly “look” for right gear and if one wants constant available power, move to manual and keep rpms above 4,500.

All you can do is trust the manufacturer. For many of us that buy a vehicle every 10-15-20 years we encounter this pretty much each time.
Problem is, I rip through the warranty long before that 10 year mark. I’ve only just got out of the habit of buying new and then making payments on something out of warranty.

21 Pilot here. I haven't noticed any issues with VCM. I can't even tell when it deactivates cylinders other than knowing when I floor it, it goes. I'll pay more attention on my next drive, what should I look / listen for?

Last edited:
The fuel dilution issues with Honda taking no responsibility and just cheap overall.
Mazda CX-5 beats it in virtually every category.
The CX-5 is an impressive little CUV/SUV. Really enjoying the one we have.

Literally only reason we got the CRV over the CX-5 was because of the 90* rear doors. If it wouldn’t have had those that the wife loved for getting car seats in and out, we’d have a CX-5.

Sigh
The only complaint I have about the CX-5 is that the infotainment system is not very intuitive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back