2023 Pilot engine?

Is the 3.5 V6 in the 2023 Pilot a new design or is it the same engine as in prior years? Has Honda sorted out the VCM issues in these by now? Any other known issues?

VCM is still crap and will clog your rings between 75-140k miles.
They should be sued for using it.

Go to any odyssey or pilot forum every week someone new comes in with buggered up rings and a huge dealer bill.

If you get it muzzle it right away.
We have a 15 odyssey muzzled at 90k miles.

Go to any odyssey or pilot forum every week someone new comes in with buggered up rings and a huge dealer bill.

I belong to the 3rd Generation Pilot forum (2016-2022) and there has not been one single instance of engine damage due to VCM which I recall. Many vehicle owner's there with over 75000 miles. The posts regarding using a muzzler there are usually from previous model year owner's that did experience problems. Honda has supposedly refined the VCM on the 3rd Generation vehicles so who's to really know.

I had a VCM on my 2019 at about 20000 miles because I thought why not? Mileage went down 1-1.5 mpg and I could feel or notice no change in the vehicle behavior at all. I removed it after about a year and 10000 miles and mpg went back up those 1-1.5 mpg.

JMHO your MMV.

OP what will your miles/year be? I’m wondering if you will own/drive enough for the muzzler to be worthwhile. I don’t think you are a 5 and done sort of guy, but maybe it just won’t matter to you.

I wonder how many have issues with the pathetic intervals and dealer or quicklube only service... you known, the crowd that doesn't know how to pop their hood.

I haven't seen the issue on the better than dealer/OE maintenance interval'd vehicles around here. But, it is a battle to convince many to adopt a slightly more frequent or severe service interval.

Buy whatever you need/want, and take care of it better than required.

I belong to the 3rd Generation Pilot forum (2016-2022) and there has not been one single instance of engine damage due to VCM which I recall. Many vehicle owner's there with over 75000 miles. The posts regarding using a muzzler there are usually from previous model year owner's that did experience problems. Honda has supposedly refined the VCM on the 3rd Generation vehicles so who's to really know.

I had a VCM on my 2019 at about 20000 miles because I thought why not? Mileage went down 1-1.5 mpg and I could feel or notice no change in the vehicle behavior at all. I removed it after about a year and 10000 miles and mpg went back up those 1-1.5 mpg.

JMHO your MMV.
There is one very recent thread on odyssey forum where stuck rings and Honda is refusing to warranty it. Another person is having same issues as well.

O

Ours has been muzzled since 35k.

My son's '16 Odyssey threw a P3030 code a couple of weeks ago. Was also really low on oil. Changed #3 plug, changed the oil, air filter, cleaned the MAP sensor, tossed in a bottle of Techron. Got a VCM Muzzler from the guy in Canada who created them. Put it on five days ago and the van seems to run better. He is on the road to Disney Orlando right now.

Waiting on a stirep.

images

Yup, which shows that Gen 3 VCM is just as bad as the two previous versions and that Honda is not taking care of customers. This Odyssey and CRV will probably be our last Honda vehicles.
Every week there is 1 or 2 a week with stuck rings.
I've been there for 1 year now.

Yup, which shows that Gen 3 VCM is just as bad as the two previous versions and that Honda is not taking care of customers. This Odyssey and CRV will probably be our last Honda vehicles.
Honda could care less.
This odyssey is also my last Honda. The quality of parts overall has gone downhill. Fast.
Engine mounts, alternators, brakes, vcm gaskets.
Honda is a shell of its former self living off of it previous image of quality and reliability
It's too bad.

Honda could care less.
This odyssey is also my last Honda. The quality of parts overall has gone downhill. Fast.
Engine mounts, alternators, brakes, vcm gaskets.
Honda is a shell of its former self living off of it previous image of quality and reliability
It's too bad.
Yup

My son's '16 Odyssey threw a P3030 code a couple of weeks ago. Was also really low on oil. Changed #3 plug, changed the oil, air filter, cleaned the MAP sensor, tossed in a bottle of Techron. Got a VCM Muzzler from the guy in Canada who created them. Put it on five days ago and the van seems to run better. He is on the road to Disney Orlando right now.

Waiting on a stirep.

images
I bet he will be getting a cat converter code in a year or two from all the oil that went past the rings into the cats.

Back