2023 Pilot engine?

Ironically I’ve been upset at Toyota for going this way, lol. Gimme a boring car that isolates from whatever passes as “pavement” that I have to drive on. The more it blends in today, the more likely it will blend in tomorrow.

Although my “11 might have been the car I least liked. In driving, comfort and overall frumpiness looking.
I get what you’re saying, I’m probably more in the middle with that regard because I think there’s so many exciting vehicles on the road now that something a bit exciting doesn’t really stand out much anyway. I don’t know if that makes sense🤣

I actually think the new Accord looks better than the current one, and I don't mind the hybrid option, but the fact that you have to have it with 19" rims and low 40 profile tires is a no go for me here in Michigan.
I haven’t seen one in person yet, but just from photos, it’s a no go for me. And I think they reduced the rim size on the Accords…pretty sure I read that today. To save costs.

Thanks, Sutton.

That sounds like the ghost of the old Cadillac “4-6-8” engine.
The biggest problem was compute power. The malaise era also marked the introduction of computer control in cars - ECMs/ECUs had primitive 4/8-bit microcomputers in them, roughly the same as an HP/TI calculator of that era. V8-6-4 from what I read was jerky and very noticeable in operation - you needed to switch the solenoids off and on very quickly and do other things. Today’s ECUs run much quicker - and other advancements like active noise cancellation/electronic engine mounts also enabled today’s DoD.
Stop/start other than not being liked has zero negative issues. It's been around for about a decade now.
Personally, start-stop is just a grasp of diminishing returns in the name of CAFE and emissions. The only time it works well is in a two-motor hybrid. It adds unnecessary wear on an engine, complexity to a starting and charging system. There’s people who tune it out.

The biggest problem was compute power. The malaise era also marked the introduction of computer control in cars - ECMs/ECUs had primitive 4/8-bit microcomputers in them, roughly the same as an HP/TI calculator of that era. V8-6-4 from what I read was jerky and very noticeable in operation - you needed to switch the solenoids off and on very quickly and do other things. Today’s ECUs run much quicker - and other advancements like active noise cancellation/electronic engine mounts also enabled today’s DoD.

Personally, start-stop is just a grasp of diminishing returns in the name of CAFE and emissions. The only time it works well is in a two-motor hybrid. It adds unnecessary wear on an engine, complexity to a starting and charging system. There’s people who tune it out.
No it doesn't. More disinformation. Google is your friend on how it works. Adds complexity-OK maybe.

Yes it always great to start your engine 20+ times a trip with no oil pressure. What's the worse that could happen. :)

You have no data CKN.
They at least figured out how to install an electric oil pump in the trans to keep the valve body primed, so the transition between neutral(BMW and Mercedes does ANS by default) and forward gears is seamless.

Start-stop in a Toyota hybrid is great - the hybrid system spins the engine quicker and faster, which means the oil pump spins close to “normal” speed to move oil.

Last edited:
I’m trying to be nice but you’ve complained about a dozen or so different vehicles in my stay here. Picking a good oil for something with known dilution is one thing, complaining about noises and longevity that no one else has problems with seems like something else.

That or I’m just missing the implied sarcasm, for which I’m sorry. I might have a dry humor but I don’t always detect it in others.
Others do have problems. They are likely shy to comment. I give my experiences regardless, then I have to fend off slings and arrows of doubters..
I had to do this in our tech startup in Wilmington years ago, having to prove causal nexus to a few PhDs. Then they just mumble and walk away even more angered.

I am hoping my rare use of sarcasm is obvious, I am not a fan of it's employment.

A lot of this is just someone not used to a new change. Something new comes along and people are unsure of it until it’s proven itself. But here on BITOG the consternation keeps going long after these systems prove themselves.

Even @JohnnyJohnson bought a new Mazda with cylinder deactivation on a four cylinder engine. From his comments he hasn’t even noticed it. Most here would squawk about running on two cylinders.
I typically don't mind it and use it where beneficial. This issue I have is, it doesn't know (and frankly can't know) the traffic pattern and traffic light period. It is hard to count how many times I rolled up to a light that was about to change, had to stop, engine shuts off and then the light changes 3 seconds later. The disable switch is a long reach on this car, but I did find I can pop it into N or S at the Traffic stop and it will disable the start-stop. Also those required quick 1/2 second stops for right hand turns regardless of traffic, this system shuts off. I will ask if that can be reprogrammed to 3 seconds. Note that it is my practice - and a good practice - to slow roll to a red signal so I don't have to stop; especially with heavy vehicles heavily laden.

Before this tech I would shut off my engine if I know I an at a long light - even in a drive thru :)

It is also notable that most if this stuff can be changed by the tech - depending on the manufacturer. Just like myriad EPS operation response adjustments menu on my old Nissan I noted when a tech was working on my CVT.

Worst tech is the "hill holder" on Subaru with MT. That was out to kill me, and nearly did in tough winter conditions.

- Ken

New design. I have a 2016 Accord V6. It has VCM. Now you are going to have people talk about the VCM and tell you need to get a VCM Muzzler. Honda had issues with VCM. There are 3 generations of VCM. The current generation doesn't have the issues of past generations. Me personally, I had considered a VCM Muzzler but decided against it, I felt it wasn't necessary and 180,000 miles later, car runs like the day I bought it. I have always used use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas on very fill up. I'm not talking about higher octane rating i.e. Super unleaded. Top tier gas is a higher detergency gasoline standard than what the government requires and I have never had an issue with the VCM. I am not an engineer and I am just sharing my experience. You will have people try to scare you and say if you don't get a VCM Muzzler you are going to have issues and your engine will blow up (being facetious :) . Take it with a grain of salt and do you. There are many people who have had no issues with using a VCM Muzzler but I just have an issue with manipulating coolant temperature and the computer thinking the car has not fully warmed up. Engines are complex and who's to say that that manipulation is not harming things. Again, I am no engineer but the guy who invented the Muzzler supposedly is one and I haven't heard of any issues using a Muzzler at least that I know of. I just never had the issues people are talking about. Not to say there are not any because Honda has had issues with early iterations of VCM. Just do your research and do what will help you sleep at night. I just want to say there are people out there that don't use VCM Muzzlers and have gotten many miles on their vehicle with no issues. My recommendation, it is very important to use top tier gas as the engine in the Passport is Direct Injected and I recommend a high quality 0W20 oil that has a lot of moly. I just have had outstanding results with my J35 when I use 0W20 that is high in moly. Most if not all Japanese car brands has high moly in their own branded oil to include Honda and Toyota.

Not totally accurate information, but that is understandable, the press releases and early articles were unclear.

From the vehicle specs on the Honda website:
“24-Valve DOHC with Dual Variable Timing Control (VTC)”

VTC is VTEC.
Just to clarify

VTEC is Variable Timing and Lift - its cam profile switching with jam nut valve clearance adjustment.

VTC doesn't change the lift

I would not equate them.

New design. I have a 2016 Accord V6. It has VCM. Now you are going to have people talk about the VCM and tell you need to get a VCM Muzzler. Honda had issues with VCM. There are 3 generations of VCM. The current generation doesn't have the issues of past generations. Me personally, I had considered a VCM Muzzler but decided against it, I felt it wasn't necessary and 180,000 miles later, car runs like the day I bought it. I have always used use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas on very fill up. I'm not talking about higher octane rating i.e. Super unleaded. Top tier gas is a higher detergency gasoline standard than what the government requires and I have never had an issue with the VCM. I am not an engineer and I am just sharing my experience. You will have people try to scare you and say if you don't get a VCM Muzzler you are going to have issues and your engine will blow up (being facetious :) . Take it with a grain of salt and do you. There are many people who have had no issues with using a VCM Muzzler but I just have an issue with manipulating coolant temperature and the computer thinking the car has not fully warmed up. Engines are complex and who's to say that that manipulation is not harming things. Again, I am no engineer but the guy who invented the Muzzler supposedly is one and I haven't heard of any issues using a Muzzler at least that I know of. I just never had the issues people are talking about. Not to say there are not any because Honda has had issues with early iterations of VCM. Just do your research and do what will help you sleep at night. I just want to say there are people out there that don't use VCM Muzzlers and have gotten many miles on their vehicle with no issues. My recommendation, it is very important to use top tier gas as the engine in the Passport is Direct Injected and I recommend a high quality 0W20 oil that has a lot of moly. I just have had outstanding results with my J35 when I use 0W20 that is high in moly. Most if not all Japanese car brands has high moly in their own branded oil to include Honda and Toyota.
The Gen 3 VCM is definitely still having issues and Honda isn’t warrantying them.

I haven’t seen one in person yet, but just from photos, it’s a no go for me. And I think they reduced the rim size on the Accords…pretty sure I read that today. To save costs.
You are right. It looks like at least the lower end hybrid versions will be offered with 17" wheels. Wondering when they'll actually show up at dealerships. It was initially supposed to be available late 2022, but now they're saying early 2023. I need to buy something this Spring. Still deciding between a sedan and a smaller SUV...

A lot of this is just someone not used to a new change. Something new comes along and people are unsure of it until it’s proven itself. But here on BITOG the consternation keeps going long after these systems prove themselves.

Even @JohnnyJohnson bought a new Mazda with cylinder deactivation on a four cylinder engine. From his comments he hasn’t even noticed it. Most here would squawk about running on two cylinders.
I would say you’re right, whenever change comes people slam it, usually because they have the older model...it was new at that time, now it isn’t, and theirs is of course better. Go to any car/truck forum. All the older model forums tend to trash the newer models. The look of them, the reliability. And this will go on until enough people move into the newer model. Rinse and repeat.

However with me, I have no skin in this game...I don’t own an Accord (haven’t bought one in over 23 years), and I must say, I really question this latest one. And I really like most Accords, especially the last one.

I would argue (roughly) '98-'03 is the sweet spot for Japanese manufactures.
The fit and finish of my '00 Accord was rather poor and dealers were rather clueless about addressing some of these issues. On top of that, the V6 had the known trans issue. I swore to never get another Honda after that experience. Alas, I am slowly warming up to another Honda product, but maybe I shouldn't?

Last edited:
21 Pilot here. I haven't noticed any issues with VCM. I can't even tell when it deactivates cylinders other than knowing when I floor it, it goes. I'll pay more attention on my next drive, what should I look / listen for?
I had a '16 J35Z Pilot (EXL) w/ 6 speed then traded up for 20 4Runner b/c several early signs of trouble with burning oil and fuel dilution issues (I really could not believe its quesitonable build quality --after all that was my 6th Honda car in 40 years + 1 motorcycle VFR800). Within 1st 25K I had O2 sensor failure MIL so upon checking #3 spark plug, found it too was fouled worse than front 3 bank spark plugs (those are running all the time vs rear 3 are subjected to VCM shut down when the coolant temp goes around 160ish as i recall). I had maintained 5K synthetic oil and oem A01 Filtech filter changes during my ownership which is 1.5 x to 2x more than what Honda MM indicated but experienced slight oil consumption (about 0.5 QT oil) within this interval (no it did not qualify for excessive oil consumption which is 1 qt every 1K miles)). Added to that my stereo kept failing (go dark) or loose touch control plus the paint was on the thin side so I figured that was not a keeper. I still have my '13 J35Y Pilot (EX) w/ SVCM recently installed and checking oil level religiously to catch any early sign of trouble. BTW, VCM works similar to VTEC but somewhat in reverse logic by having the rear bank cam to shift to shut valves so when the fuel is cut off during VCM cycle it can induce vacuum pull of engine oil which eventually gets burned--this i suspect is the main cause of earlier sparkplug fouling on VCM shut cylinders and possible O2 sensor failure. I have a big hope for the new J35 w/ DOHC VCM...hey at least the timing belt job looks easier!

I think I agree with you, when scores of engines are being shown to make it to my own admittedly arbitrary definition of “proven”, then it is indeed proven.

What I cannot filter through is internet amplification of AFM and VCM complaints, just how bad is it, and do I want to run the risk of it on something that I bought used with the deliberate intention of owning on the cheap.
Honestly, go to any odyssey forum, every week 1-2 new people come in with trashed rings from the vcm nonsense.
These are mostly 14-18 year models. All with 70-125 Miles.
It's a matter of time. Hondas vcm is total garbage.
Honda settled a lawsuit for 11 to 13 year engines.
They changed to harder rings after 13. That just bought them more time as tons of Newman's coming in all the time
This odyssey we have is our last Honda. Which sucks because I have had 5 previous hondas. All were great.

Back