2023 C&D Lightning Lap

Strong eye roll at all the cars showing up wearing r-compound tires.

Z06, M4 CSL, Cayman GT4? An r-compound makes absolute sense.

Civic Type-R, GR Corolla, RS3? Purely an exercise in generating magazine numbers. I bet the take rate for those tires is already in the single digit percentages and I'd say the number of people who actually buy a second set (after they're worn out in 6,000 miles) is even less.

The reality is seen in the Supra, CT4 Blackwing, and M240i. A competent performing summer tire that won't cause a code brown when you take a highway off-ramp too quickly in the rain.

$50k for a Corolla!?! Granted, it’s a quick one but that’s more than I’d have guessed.

I love the Lightning Lap articles and that Z06 is bad!

Ouch!
“we would have run a Model S Plaid by now, but we don't believe the stock brakes are up to the task”

Ouch!
“we would have run a Model S Plaid by now, but we don't believe the stock brakes are up to the task”

Even worse, it was Nov 2021 when Tesla announced the carbon-ceramic brake option for the Plaid. It’s now Feb 2023 and they still don’t exists.

Last edited:
Isn't that crazy? It was Nov 2021 when Tesla announced the carbon-ceramic brake option for the Plaid. It’s now Feb 2023 and they still don’t exists.
Modern day Cobra. I bet the carbon brakes aren’t nearly as effective as they could be. To make the brakes work would require brake vents, which reduce range. Range sells more Teslas than braking or handling do.

Even worse, it was Nov 2021 when Tesla announced the carbon-ceramic brake option for the Plaid. It’s now Feb 2023 and they still don’t exists.

I'd avoid a tesla with CCM brakes more than I'd avoid one with iron rotors; at least the owners of the Tesla with iron rotors has enough sense to not waste their money on CCM brakes! :ROFLMAO:

Back