2023 BMW X1 test drive

Things I liked:
- cute size
- decent looks - the grill is big, but not as big as on some other current BMW models
- nice modern interior, alas a bit on the smaller side
- nice sport seats
- gobs of torque
- good handling - you don't really feel like you're driving an SUV, yet, you have 8 inches of ground clearance.
- lots of cool technology for such an entry-level vehicle (Nav with augmented reality, auto parking, etc.)

Things I did not like:
- no dedicated HVAC buttons
- HVAC was a bit loud, even on low speeds

Things I hated:
- awful amount of hesitation from stop - you press the go pedal, and have to wait seemingly forever for it to take off. I think partly the stop-start system is to blame, but even in sport mode which disables the stop-start, there is still some lag there, and there is no dedicated physical button to choose sport mode or turn off stop-start. Instead, you've got to dig through the menus on the screen. I can't believe BMW would mess this up so badly. Granted, sooner or later the aftermarket companies such as Carly will figure out a way to permanently disable stop-start or to default to sport mode after each engine start and maybe get rid of or greatly minimize this terrible delay, but until then, I wouldn't buy one.

Things I hated:
- awful amount of hesitation from stop - you press the go pedal, and have to wait seemingly forever for it to take off. I think partly the stop-start system is to blame, but even in sport mode which disables the stop-start, there is still some lag there, and there is no dedicated physical button to choose sport mode or turn off stop-start. Instead, you've got to dig through the menus on the screen. I can't believe BMW would mess this up so badly. .
With premium fuel, that little turbo 4 popper really comes alive.
I've spent considerable time with an X1 and X2 and both benefitted from it.

Do you think regular gas would make the hesitation/lag issue worse?
From my experience with turbocharged 4 cyl motors, undoubtedly.
Especially since it's required from the manufacturer.

If you are still considering one, I'd suggest contacting Enterprise.
They have quite a few of them in their fleet (that's where I get most of my rentals).
Take one for a week to give it a full "shake down" with premium fuel...preferably a road trip.

My only gripe with the X1 and X2 was road noise on the highway which I attribute to a combination of tires, tire/wheel size.
Aside from that, like you mentioned above, there's a lot to like about these SUV/CUV's.

Last edited:
From my experience with turbocharged 4 cyl motors, undoubtedly.
Especially since it's required from the manufacturer.

If you are still considering one, I'd suggest contacting Enterprise.
They have quite a few of them in their fleet (that's where I get most of my rentals).
Take one for a week to give it a full "shake down" with premium fuel...preferably a road trip.

My only gripe with the X1 and X2 was road noise on the highway which I attribute to a combination of tires, tire/wheel size.
Aside from that, like you mentioned above, there's a lot to like about these SUV/CUV's.
Did you drive the older F48 or the new U11 X1 that was redesigned for 2023? It only became available in the last couple of months - not sure that it's already in rental fleets.

I personally found road noise to not be an issue. The one i drove had the m sport pkg and 19" wheels.

Did you drive the older F48 or the new U11 X1 that was redesigned for 2023? It only became available in the last couple of months - not sure that it's already in rental fleets.

I personally found road noise to not be an issue. The one i drove had the m sport pkg and 19" wheels.
Mine were both from 2022 with lower mileage, so I'm guessing they were both the older F48.
Not sure if there's any changes/updates to the mechanical aspects between the versions.

Mine were both from 2022 with lower mileage, so I'm guessing they were both the older F48.
Not sure if there's any changes/updates to the mechanical aspects between the versions.
There were quite a few changes. U11 now has a DCT and higher hp/torque figures.

I liked the X1 I had one day in as a passenger. My impression of the drivetrain was eye-opening for a turbo 4. It seemed to have plenty of torque right off the line and shifted with authority and ease. The owner, I believe, would have understood which fuel to use.

When I was a BMW porter, we made sure that we always put 93 in them. I know not all BMW dealers care though. My experiences with them mimic yours though. Interior doesn't feel cheap like the old model and the handling + power is surprisingly great. I wish my CX5 had the X1/3 suspension and ride quality.

Back